What I Think

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2014, 03:56 PM
What I Think
Prolly piss a few peeps of with this...... but...

What the hell is it with all the mental push-ups about the big bang, age of the earth, god and the universe, etc. ad nuaseam.

What does it matter in our daily lives and why are we the only living thing on this planet that seem to give a shit about Why,What,When, Where. Every other living thing just goes about its survival and just 'being'.

Why does there NEED to be an answere ? Other than having some intellectual superiority to impress others ?

Its great that people have made it their lifes ambition to explain how old the earth is, or the universe, humans and when dinos lived,etc.. But what does it really matter in the reality of the now ?

IMO, nothing... period

If there is no evidence for something, it will be dismissed and life goes on, whether we have a claim to understand it or not.

KISS (keep it simple stupid) has been my motto for most of my life, and it seems to work just fine.

Is it that by over complicating things, that others feel a need to act 'superior' than those that just explain and understand things in a very basic non complicated way and in fact get on with the reality of the here and now, instead of trying to justify anything.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I wonder how many can read between the lines on this.

Hope this makes some sense....been drinking a bit and thinking to much about this shit. Blush
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
15-01-2014, 04:00 PM
RE: What I Think
Well some people simply like to know things and knowing things doesnt hurt.

What hurts is when people claim to know things but infact are making shit up.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 5 users Like The Germans are coming's post
15-01-2014, 04:17 PM
This Internet thing you're posting on... yeah, this... it's a direct result of people not do what you said.

We progress because of our curiosity. We stagnate because of our complacency.

We live in this amazing world because, thankfully, people haven't done what you're suggesting.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
15-01-2014, 04:21 PM
(15-01-2014 04:00 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Well some people simply like to know things and knowing things doesnt hurt.

What hurts is when people claim to know things but infact are making shit up.

Oh, I definitly agree, knowledge is a is a good thing and so is curiosity, but in the reality of the now, it isnt that important as some would like to think.

To me, nothing matters more than whats happening at the present time and how I feel about it. I've always been a skeptic about everything..... so things become self evident very quickly..... well, at least in my head (read, my reality as I see it) Blush
15-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I think it's good to try and figure these things out, I'm glad there are people out there who do it. There are those out there who want us to think god created the universe and that the earth is only 6,000 years old. I like knowing the information is out there to prove them wrong.

Your way of thinking is similar to mine though, I mostly worry about what's going on in my life here and now (while considering my future of course), which is why I often don't get involved in the debates that go on in the threads here. It doesn't worry me a great deal.
15-01-2014, 04:26 PM
(15-01-2014 04:21 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Oh, I definitly agree, knowledge is a is a good thing and so is curiosity, but in the reality of the now, it isnt that important as some would like to think.

To me, nothing matters more than whats happening at the present time and how I feel about it. I've always been a skeptic about everything..... so things become self evident very quickly..... well, at least in my head (read, my reality as I see it) Blush

You never know what knowlege may bring you.

I never had an argument against liberterians when they said that social services could be provided by the private sector through charity and eve agreed with them because of that, because it seemd to me that this concept was never tested.

Then, through some boredom I read some articles on the history of Ireland. I found out that the potatoe blight happend all throughout Europe but that there was only a famine in Ireland, because the then government insisted on small government and on private charity to solve social problems - which caused the notorious Great Irish famin.

Which proves to me that the private sector is not able to provide social services and gives me the satisfaction of watching a liberterians reaction when telling them that their ideology caused the great Irish famin.

One never really knows how handy some knowlege could be.

Do you believe Einstein thought that his findings would one day help create GPS?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
15-01-2014, 04:28 PM
(15-01-2014 04:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This Internet thing you're posting on... yeah, this... it's a direct result of people not do what you said.

We progress because of our curiosity. We stagnate because of our complacency.

We live in this amazing world because, thankfully, people haven't done what you're suggesting.

I'm not talking about progress in our daily lives, but rather the huge amount of intellectual exercise about things that have no bearing on our day to day life, i.e. past, future and gods..... woo, if you will.
15-01-2014, 04:37 PM
(15-01-2014 04:28 PM)War Horse Wrote:  I'm not talking about progress in our daily lives, but rather the huge amount of intellectual exercise about things that have no bearing on our my day to day life, i.e. past, future and gods..... woo, if you will.

fixt

Different things interest different people.

"past, future and gods..... woo" has a bearing on people who are interested in it.

Just because it doesn't affect your life doesn't mean that it doesn't affect someone else's life.

For instance, me trying to be ranked #1 in the game I play online has no bearing on your life and doesn't interest you... in fact, you would probably think it was a complete waste of time; however, to me, I'm greatly interested in it, and it affects my day-to-day because it means something to me.

Trying not to be offensive here, but your comment and analysis is extremely arrogant and pretentious. Hope you can take that as constructive... I never want to offended anyone.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-01-2014, 04:52 PM
(15-01-2014 03:56 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Prolly piss a few peeps of with this...... but...

What the hell is it with all the mental push-ups about the big bang, age of the earth, god and the universe, etc. ad nuaseam.

What does it matter in our daily lives and why are we the only living thing on this planet that seem to give a shit about Why,What,When, Where. Every other living thing just goes about its survival and just 'being'.

Why does there NEED to be an answere ? Other than having some intellectual superiority to impress others ?

Its great that people have made it their lifes ambition to explain how old the earth is, or the universe, humans and when dinos lived,etc.. But what does it really matter in the reality of the now ?

IMO, nothing... period

If there is no evidence for something, it will be dismissed and life goes on, whether we have a claim to understand it or not.

KISS (keep it simple stupid) has been my motto for most of my life, and it seems to work just fine.

Is it that by over complicating things, that others feel a need to act 'superior' than those that just explain and understand things in a very basic non complicated way and in fact get on with the reality of the here and now, instead of trying to justify anything.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I wonder how many can read between the lines on this.

Hope this makes some sense....been drinking a bit and thinking to much about this shit. Blush

I know exactly what you are talking about - those horses have long died but people continue to beat on them over and over again.

There isn't a day that passes here that doesn't see a new thread on one of these topics.

You got to remember that we have droves of newbies here all the time, and they tend to come in from an environment where they have nobody to discuss this stuff with. We provide a place to do this.

So, yes, it doesn't really affect our lives, and we've seen it over and over and over again - but then, we can just start threads on other topics, whatever does interest us.

So - I'm ok with that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-01-2014, 07:56 PM
There are very good reasons for understanding the workings of the solar system, the earth, and life on the earth for our everyday well-being.

To understand those, we need to understand the makeup of the solar system, leading us to its origins.

All of our knowledge is interconnected, the study of one area leading to other areas; the truth of some theory contingent on others.

Unless you'd rather live without medicine, weather forecasting, knowledge of ocean tides and currents, natural resources, and so on, and so forth. Then fine, ignorance, disease, misery, and poverty can be yours. It's called superstition.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post