• 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2016, 05:32 PM
RE: What IS morality, really?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2016, 05:42 PM
(17-06-2016 09:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(17-06-2016 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  But it is not 'for the good of the species'.

I didn't say "for the good of the species" but for the good of the community because of the good for the individual.

But Dom did.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-06-2016, 06:21 PM
(19-06-2016 01:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're conflating "community" with species now.
I believe there is. Still forming and poorly organized still, but there and that is where moral values such as "recycle", Don't destroy the ozone layer, and reduce your carbon footprint are coming from.
19-06-2016, 06:32 PM
(19-06-2016 02:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I disagree. Person B for whatever reason holds a personal belief that it is wrong to harm animals. Person B does not have to believe that they themselves are part of that community.

Why would you refrain from calling it a "moral" rather than a belief. And where does such a belief come from. We are all animals on some level and people who are aware of this give themselves a name like "vegetarian" and start sharing information and values with others. Whether you say that such people identify empathetically with animals or are just a community in its own right such beliefs are indistinguishable from moral values except when you are trying to place "right and wrong" on particular values.
19-06-2016, 06:43 PM
(19-06-2016 01:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  This has already been explained to you by multiple people. Following orders/rules/laws =/= morality

But "thou shalt follow the orders of your superior" is. In fact it's a fairly common one. It exists in some form in most armed forces, many nations, schools, corporations, religions etc.. etc... etc... It's built right into the Decalogue - Thou shalt have no other god before me" and there are numerous stories in the bible to drive this point home.
19-06-2016, 06:46 PM
(19-06-2016 01:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  This has already been explained to you by multiple people. Following orders/rules/laws =/= morality

But "thou shalt follow the orders of your superior" is. In fact it's a fairly common one. It exists in some form in most armed forces, many nations, schools, corporations, religions etc.. etc... etc... Do what your teacher, boss, commanding officer, priest tells you. It's built right into the Decalogue - Thou shalt have no other gods before me" and there are numerous stories in the bible to drive this point home.
19-06-2016, 06:55 PM
(18-06-2016 11:52 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Morality is an individual belief system. People can believe whatever they want,
Agreed, sort of, but I think that every single belief that they would call a "moral value" can be quickly traced back to a sense of fellowship with a community that holds that belief (or once held that belief) to be supportive of that community.
19-06-2016, 07:06 PM
(17-06-2016 05:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.
Thank you. Appreciated.

(17-06-2016 05:00 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Thread moved to the Philosophy section because there is no morality in theism Laughat
[quote='DLJ' pid='1015514' dateline='1466204448']
Well OK, but if your read it you'll see that it ties in with the theist/atheist debate fairly strongly. Here is OK but I do think it's something that people ought to be saying whenever debaters start saying "where does morality come from if not from god" and and "if it's not absolute, it's not anything" or any of those similar arguments that you hear all the time.
19-06-2016, 07:09 PM
(19-06-2016 06:21 PM)neilxt Wrote:  
(19-06-2016 01:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're conflating "community" with species now.
I believe there is. Still forming and poorly organized still, but there and that is where moral values such as "recycle", Don't destroy the ozone layer, and reduce your carbon footprint are coming from.

An international community of weakly defined agreements doesn't mean there is a species-wide community. And it certainly doesn't mean that there is a shared species-wide sense of morality generated from your "human community."

You're making very broad over-generalizations.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
19-06-2016, 07:09 PM
DLJ is correct. This is not a religious forum. We do not attribute morals to a religious figure.

This is the correct forum. Morals falls under ethics and philosophy.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.