What If The Invisible Pink Unicorn Is Real?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2014, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 12:53 AM by evenheathen.)
RE: What If The Invisible Pink Unicorn Is Real?
(24-12-2014 05:36 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  3) Otherwise, we should all just say "I don't know".

Wow. How many times do we have to say exactly that before you stop accusing everyone here of shit that we haven't claimed? You really haven't spent much time here, so I'll give you some noob reprieve.

But your angle is offensive, it's not nearly as thought provoking as you think it is, and the reason that you can't get the responses that you want is because it's not that interesting to intellectually masturbate over concepts over which we've already cum to the conclusion that "I don't know" is currently still the best answer.

Your word games aren't going to change that. Do you have anything else?

Edit: To clarify, it's not that I don't find these types of thought experiments aren't worth thinking about..... they are. You seem to have something to prove, or something that you feel is important that we realize.

Life is short. It's going to be shorter for some members here than it is for others, but most of us here are wary enough to know how short it really is, so any important, pertinent Information about our existence should be forthcoming and should stand up to skepticism.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
25-12-2014, 12:45 AM
(24-12-2014 05:36 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  But you're probably going to argue against gods, and thus religion in general, in pretty much every post from here, right?

Usually just religion... You know, the half of the madness that's real.

Quote:This is what I mean. You have a particular viewpoint, which you are surely entitled to. And you're pretty darn certain about it, right?
No?...
Quote:But you won't own up to that certainty, but sort of waffle and dodge about it. Classic atheist forum material.
Oh..

Quote:...forum atheists always say this.

But they never show any concern for the fact that the vast majority of people needlessly slaughtered in the twentieth century were killed by explicitly atheist regimes.

Wait, watch, see all the dodging, weaving, and rationalizing which will someone will now type to try to wash away this well known fact.

Firstly, I would like to see the numbers. Please include all atrocities on record, not just those with 100k+ casualties. Note: Hitler, whether a believer or not, portrayed himself as a christian, with christian followers.

Now, once you're done with the pointless part, realize it was fruitless. Whether theist or atheist, the reasons for the slaughter of innocents are diverse. However, though they may be committed for money, power, god, religion... They're not committed in the name of atheism. Holy books do incite holy wars; atheism has no such manifesto. Religion gives more unnecessary reasons to hate and kill... There are enough already.

Quote:Otherwise, we should all just say "I don't know".

Pull your head out of your ass. We ARE saying "I don't know". At least, most of us are. The difference is that we assign weights to possibilities based on observations.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
25-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Quote:But your angle is offensive, it's not nearly as thought provoking as you think it is,

Ok, that could very well be true.

But the way to make the case is to... make the case, with careful articulate reasoning. You're doing what most here are doing, confusing characterizing an argument with debunking that argument.

I'm not interested in your emotion, cause I have my own emotion to clog my mind with. Give me relevant reasoned arguments I haven't thought of instead. That might be persuasive.

Quote:and the reason that you can't get the responses that you want is because it's not that interesting to intellectually masturbate over concepts over which we've already cum to the conclusion that "I don't know" is currently still the best answer.

Ok, so can you clarify please? Is your position "I don't know" without reservation or clever rhetorical tap dancing? If yes, I salute you. Would you go on to say that "nobody knows", or is that too far for you?

Quote:Edit: To clarify, it's not that I don't find these types of thought experiments aren't worth thinking about..... they are. You seem to have something to prove, or something that you feel is important that we realize.

Yes, something important. THINKING. Please look up at the URL of this forum, thethinkingatheist.com.

I'm having to push things a bit, because many of you seem content to just characterize arguments instead of actually do the thinking and respond with carefully reasoned arguments.

Quote:Life is short. It's going to be shorter for some members here than it is for others, but most of us here are wary enough to know how short it really is, so any important, pertinent Information about our existence should be forthcoming and should stand up to skepticism.

This thread attempts to show that new important pertinent information about our existence might be glimpsed by being flexible creative thinkers, and not being content to simply repeat the same old tired arguments over and over again.

I believe I've demonstrated the existence of the IPU in a way which is at least plausible, which has been my stated goal from the start. It's totally OK if readers feel I haven't made that case, no problem at all.

But please stop clogging the threads with your emotional reactive characterizations of arguments. That's lazy. And boring. Give us your calm carefully reasoned arguments please, because that would fulfill the stated mission of this site...

the...

THINKING...

atheist.com

If you have a dog, save your emotional outbursts for him, as he'd probably enjoy it.
25-12-2014, 06:59 AM
Quote:Now, once you're done with the pointless part, realize it was fruitless. Whether theist or atheist, the reasons for the slaughter of innocents are diverse.

I hate this about atheist forums, I truly do, no personal offense intended.

If Stalin had been a Catholic you'd be only too happy to blame his crimes on the Catholic church, but if he's an atheist running an explicitly regime then the thread immediately fills with a million rationalizations and excuses blah, blah, blah, etc etc.

I don't mean to pick on you, I've just seen this so many times, and it's just so pathetic coming from people who claim allegiance to reason.

Quote:Pull your head out of your ass. We ARE saying "I don't know".

No, you're not. You're doing the classic atheist dodge and weave dance. Here it is in the very next sentence....

Quote:At least, most of us are. The difference is that we assign weights to possibilities based on observations.

See? You want to claim "I don't know" status so you'll be safe from challenge, but you also want to hang on to atheist ideology by playing games like "we assign weights" etc etc. Again, I don't mean to pick on you, but this is so very common it merits response.

What color shirt was I was wearing on March 16, 1989?

You don't know. You have no idea. It could have been any color under the rainbow. Like that. That's what "I don't know" means.

It DOESN'T mean, you have no idea, but you're pretty sure it was the color blue.
25-12-2014, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2014 07:21 AM by pablo.)
Quote:But they never show any concern for the fact that the vast majority of people needlessly slaughtered in the twentieth century were killed by explicitly atheist regimes.

Do explicitly atheist regimes commit atrocities in the name of atheism?
25-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Baba Bozo, please stop stripping out the information in the quote tags about who you are replying to. It's good to see who you are responding to and if you click on the little green arrows you can go back to the original post and see the context. Stripping out this information makes you look dishonest.
25-12-2014, 08:41 AM
(25-12-2014 08:30 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Baba Bozo, please stop stripping out the information in the quote tags about who you are replying to. It's good to see who you are responding to and if you click on the little green arrows you can go back to the original post and see the context. Stripping out this information makes you look dishonest.

Sigh... I'm not doing it on purpose, it's just easier.

And really, who cares who said what, so long as the words are quoted accurately? Everybody here has an anonymous screen name anyway, right?

But anyway, ok, I'll try. My real complaint is that the thread now has yet another post that doesn't attempt to address the topic.

It seems the only thing members are really interested in is finding an infinite number of different ways to say "you're wrong".

Ok, I quoted incorrectly. I'm wrong. You're right. You win, I lose. I am bad, you are good.
25-12-2014, 09:46 AM
(25-12-2014 06:59 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  If Stalin had been a Catholic you'd be only too happy to blame his crimes on the Catholic church, but if he's an atheist running an explicitly regime then the thread immediately fills with a million rationalizations and excuses blah, blah, blah, etc etc.

I don't mean to pick on you, I've just seen this so many times, and it's just so pathetic coming from people who claim allegiance to reason.

You're obviously not understanding this:
Someone kills a million people for power or money - Theist? Atheist? Who knows...
Someone kills a million people because a religious text dictated they should - Theist.

Quote:You want to claim "I don't know" status so you'll be safe from challenge, but you also want to hang on to atheist ideology by playing games like "we assign weights" etc etc. Again, I don't mean to pick on you, but this is so very common it merits response.

What color shirt was I was wearing on March 16, 1989?

You don't know. You have no idea. It could have been any color under the rainbow. Like that. That's what "I don't know" means.

It DOESN'T mean, you have no idea, but you're pretty sure it was the color blue.

My answer is: I don't know. But, I very well could identify popular clothing colors from that year, which would give weight to certain colors and color combinations over others. You didn't claim anything extraordinary (like gods), so its safe to say your shirt fell into the visible spectrum, and wasn't shooting out xrays and reading minds.

That wasn't what I meant by assigning weights anyway. I don't mean exact probability. Take these two claims:

"I have $100,000 in my pocket."
"I have $100 in my pocket."

If you can't immediately tell me which one is more likely, you're just being obtuse.

Or how about:
"I have a knife, and I'm gonna kill you with it."
"I have an aircraft carrier, and I'm going to kill you with it."

Are you going to tell me you give both of those the same merit because you don't know? Even if you claim that, I'm sure you'll sleep better after hearing one over the other.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
25-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Most everything you write on the forum assumes that human reason is qualified to come to meaningful conclusions on the subject of gods.

You never get around to proving those qualifications.

I'm thinking about copy and pasting this in reply to each of your posts until you prove the qualifications of the authority you continually refer to.

Or maybe I'll say "but it's in the Bible!" as if that was proof, just as you are essentially doing in regards to reason.
25-12-2014, 10:05 AM
(25-12-2014 09:54 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  Most everything you write on the forum assumes that human reason is qualified to come to meaningful conclusions on the subject of gods.

You never get around to proving those qualifications.

I'm thinking about copy and pasting this in reply to each of your posts until you prove the qualifications of the authority you continually refer to.

Or maybe I'll say "but it's in the Bible!" as if that was proof, just as you are essentially doing in regards to reason.

Another fine example of trying to shift the burden of proof.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post