What If The Invisible Pink Unicorn Is Real?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2014, 06:05 PM
RE: What If The Invisible Pink Unicorn Is Real?
I prefer not to pay for that rubbish, thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
22-12-2014, 06:31 PM
(22-12-2014 10:59 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'll give it a try.

Thanks for playing! This looks good!

Quote:The invisible pink unicorn was initially fantasy but enough people have seen depictions of horses, animals with single horns, pink four legged animals and also invisible creatures.

Yes, I posted a link to a picture of the IPU in my opening post, in case anyone didn't already have that image in their head.

Quote:Therefore we can argue that there is a consistent image in people's brains of an invisible pink unicorn. It is a concept.

Yes, good work, agreed.

Quote:This puts the idea on a par with other things that we know unequivocably exist but which are constrained within human brains. For example, irrational exuberance, memes, cultural values, social identity etc.

Bingo, we have a winner! Seriously, good work dude.

Yes, ideas exist in the real world, they have material substance, just like a rocking chair or a pair of socks. But we generally don't think of ideas as existing in a material sense, because we can't actually see them.

You've done the thinking required for this challenge, bravo, and arrived at the essence of my idea. In reply, I'll try to take it a bit further.

That idea in our heads of the IPU can be considered the seed form of the coming IPU that runs around the yard looking all cute and stuff. Everything we've ever created started as an idea seed in our minds, just as our physical bodies started as an invisible fertilized egg.

In it's seed form, the IPU is invisible to us, but it is also a seed which contains pinkness in it's instructions, a property which will manifest visibly at a later stage of development.

Ok, so how do we get from the seed form of the IPU to the living breathing form? Aha, this is easy!

As you likely know, atheist ideologues have been using the IPU to poke theists in the eye all over the net for years.

Thus, we can reason it's only a matter of time until some clever theist genetic engineer gleefully strikes back by growing a living breathing IPU in his lab. :-)

The seed he will grow the living breathing IPU from is the idea we all have in our heads of what an IPU is.

So, to summarize...

1) If you agree that ideas have material substance, that is, exist in the common usage of that word...

2) If you agree that ideas are the seed from which all human creations grow...

3) If you agree that genetic engineers will eventually be able to design new life forms from scratch...

4) If you agree that theists can be just as enthusiastic about ideological combat as atheists....

It follows the IPU currently exists, in seed form, in our minds.

The point of this exercise, besides having a little fun, is to illustrate that a fresh perspective and a bit of actual thinking can sometimes transform something that everybody says is blatantly ridiculous in to something that is at least plausible.

Thus, we should be wary of following what everybody says, because like in this thread, the vast majority of folks will just sit back and wait for someone else to feed them an answer so that they can memorize it and then claim it as their own.

So my claim is that if you've had enough beers, this thread serves as ABSOLUTE PROOF that the atheist deity really does exist!!!

Ok, let the jeering and sneering begin, because even the lazy among us deserve to have some fun. Go for it guys, do your Great Debunker dance thingie! :-)
22-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Refunds for everyone!
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
22-12-2014, 09:01 PM
[Image: 83207.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
22-12-2014, 09:28 PM
I will attempt to make friends with IPU and share the magic of friendship with it!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
22-12-2014, 09:56 PM
(22-12-2014 09:28 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  I will attempt to make friends with IPU and share the magic of friendship with it!

We're friends in my heart.

Heart

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
22-12-2014, 10:42 PM
(22-12-2014 05:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I don't get it, why are you trying to force us to put together an argument prove the existence of something we don't think exists... Huh we are supposed to pretend to be lawyers at trial. What evidence would we provide?? There isn't any... Are we supposed to make something up? Where am I? this is the most pointless thread I've ever seen....

Wait, are you saying this is MORE pointless than any of Gordon's threads? That hurts dude.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
22-12-2014, 10:56 PM
(22-12-2014 07:52 AM)Nurse Wrote:  The pink unicorn existed, it just went extinct. The horn would kill the mama during unicorn birth. Survival of the fittest dictated that horses be born without horns. Once they started birthing hornless babies, they didn't come out all bloody pink, produced more offspring, and increased genetic diversity, giving us a horse of a different color.

If such a creature did exist the child would come out with no horn what so ever and it would grow as it got older. It really went extinct because of environmental changes and invasive species. Sorry nurse, but your hypothesis was wrong. Tongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
22-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Remember, you can always feel the invisible pink unicorn.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
23-12-2014, 12:31 AM
(22-12-2014 06:31 PM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  ...
Thus, we can reason it's only a matter of time until some clever theist genetic engineer gleefully strikes back by growing a living breathing IPU in his lab. :-)

So, equivocation not withstanding, as Tilda pointed out in her earlier post, this implies, to bring the analogy full circle, m'lud, that one day, a genetics engineer will be able to create a god.

So, in conclusion, y'honour, the Eastern traditions have it right and Darwin, Dawkins, Dennett et al have it right, too, in that gods and goddesses are a future version of humans whose self-monitoring programming have evolved, through a combination natural selection and artificial selection to such a high state of consciousness, of being, of enlightenment that they are unrecognisable to those left behind, namely... us.

Thus we have achieved harmony between the atheist and the theist by defining gods and goddesses as super-humans, as super-natural (an advanced form of natural).

Peace on earth and good will to all men (and women and gods and goddesses).

Big Grin

Consider

I'm still left wondering why theists think they know what these future beings think.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post