What If Today A Person Murdered People And Said They Were Ordered To Do So By God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2014, 08:57 AM
RE: What If Today A Person Murdered People And Said They Were Ordered To Do So By God?
(13-05-2014 08:14 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  giving you a citation is ultimately pointless. you die like an elephant, i die like an elephant. we decompose. the cosmos is indifferent.

i am ultimately no worse off than you for not citing what i have said.

you are a creature evolved. i am a creature evolved. we are no better off or worse off than the tapeworm. you may think you are special but that which you owe your existence to is indifferent.

if you find meaning in life by kidding yourself then more power to you. have at it. if you feel warm and fuzzy at night when you lie awake thinking about how special you are be my guest. its just you surviving.

No more God babble? You're the twerp trying to pretend that some dickhead deity cares about you. Come on, little fail-troll, do some more entertaining.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-05-2014, 11:34 AM
RE: What If Today A Person Murdered People And Said They Were Ordered To Do So By God?
(13-05-2014 08:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 08:14 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  giving you a citation is ultimately pointless. you die like an elephant, i die like an elephant. we decompose. the cosmos is indifferent.

i am ultimately no worse off than you for not citing what i have said.

you are a creature evolved. i am a creature evolved. we are no better off or worse off than the tapeworm. you may think you are special but that which you owe your existence to is indifferent.

if you find meaning in life by kidding yourself then more power to you. have at it. if you feel warm and fuzzy at night when you lie awake thinking about how special you are be my guest. its just you surviving.

You sir made a claim that 'we believe what we do because of our genes'.
I asked for a citation, as in to ask, 'where did you get this information?'

The logical responses are thus: A) admit you have no source or B) provide the citation.

Spouting pseudo-nihilistic babble is not within the purview of a reasonable response. However, since you are ever so keen on responding to people with unrelated babble, I feel compelled to play as well, but without the babble.

Sir. At this point, I am forced to inform you that you are now well and truly beyond the realm of stupidity insinuating insults. For I feel that such comparative insinuations would only serve to insult the comparison. For instance, were I to call you dumb as rocks, I fell I'd have dealt such a wound to rocks that I'd be compelled to duel a geologist so that the rocks can retain their dignity.

Back on the actual subject matter; I did not ask for citations purely because I want to feel special or get some warm fuzzies. Before the age of ten I was long resigned to the fact that I was no more special than your average goldfish. I recognise that there is no overriding reason, purpose or meaning to life, to believe otherwise is absurd. However, I am also well aware of the human capacity to think in a seemingly unique way; insofar as I can tell it is the responsibility of each human to give themselves meaning.
I asked for citations because you made a claim, for no other reason.
On even more direct relation to the subject; Provide citations or leave the immediate vicinity.

Research genetic determinism and evolutionary psychology.

It still is of no consequence. Having knowledge regarding the two topics above is not going to add one minute to your life.
13-05-2014, 11:44 AM
(13-05-2014 11:34 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 08:34 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  You sir made a claim that 'we believe what we do because of our genes'.
I asked for a citation, as in to ask, 'where did you get this information?'

The logical responses are thus: A) admit you have no source or B) provide the citation.

Spouting pseudo-nihilistic babble is not within the purview of a reasonable response. However, since you are ever so keen on responding to people with unrelated babble, I feel compelled to play as well, but without the babble.

Sir. At this point, I am forced to inform you that you are now well and truly beyond the realm of stupidity insinuating insults. For I feel that such comparative insinuations would only serve to insult the comparison. For instance, were I to call you dumb as rocks, I fell I'd have dealt such a wound to rocks that I'd be compelled to duel a geologist so that the rocks can retain their dignity.

Back on the actual subject matter; I did not ask for citations purely because I want to feel special or get some warm fuzzies. Before the age of ten I was long resigned to the fact that I was no more special than your average goldfish. I recognise that there is no overriding reason, purpose or meaning to life, to believe otherwise is absurd. However, I am also well aware of the human capacity to think in a seemingly unique way; insofar as I can tell it is the responsibility of each human to give themselves meaning.
I asked for citations because you made a claim, for no other reason.
On even more direct relation to the subject; Provide citations or leave the immediate vicinity.

Research genetic determinism and evolutionary psychology.

It still is of no consequence. Having knowledge regarding the two topics above is not going to add one minute to your life.

I suggest you change doctors or up the meds cuz it appears your mental condition is not improving fast enough.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
13-05-2014, 04:09 PM
(12-05-2014 09:52 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I did not read the whole thread, but to the OP.

What do you mean "What if....." there are lots of people that have been instatutionalized for doing just that.

My point is why do Christians feel that this type of behavior by their god, as told in the Bible, is perfectly acceptable? There are several instances where their god orders biblical figures to murder people who have disobeyed him. They claim that the Bible is the word of their infallible god, yet they would be abhorred by such behavior committed by any person in the present day. God supposedly spoke to people in the Bible when he ordered them to commit these acts, but if a person today claimed that God ordered them to do the same thing, Christians would say he's nuts. The fact that Christians condone this behavior in the Bible, but are completely against it today is completely hypocritical, because, by all means, they should be just as disgusted by this behavior in the Bible as they would in modern day society, and that is my point.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
13-05-2014, 05:02 PM
(13-05-2014 08:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 08:14 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  if you find meaning in life by kidding yourself then more power to you. have at it. if you feel warm and fuzzy at night when you lie awake thinking about how special you are be my guest. its just you surviving.
Well, well, well, look who's talking! Laugh out load

Precisely!

Now you got it!

People cope in order to survive by finding meaning in believing in God, some cope by arguing that those who find meaning in God are irrational (Dawkins).

All people have to cope with the indifferent cosmos they find themselves in and so create meaning in ways consistent with their genetic/physiological makeup.

The cosmos is actually indifferent. There actually is nothing that makes us any more special or significant in the whole scheme of things than a possum or a rat.
13-05-2014, 05:04 PM
(13-05-2014 04:09 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 09:52 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I did not read the whole thread, but to the OP.

What do you mean "What if....." there are lots of people that have been instatutionalized for doing just that.

My point is why do Christians feel that this type of behavior by their god, as told in the Bible, is perfectly acceptable? There are several instances where their god orders biblical figures to murder people who have disobeyed him. They claim that the Bible is the word of their infallible god, yet they would be abhorred by such behavior committed by any person in the present day. God supposedly spoke to people in the Bible when he ordered them to commit these acts, but if a person today claimed that God ordered them to do the same thing, Christians would say he's nuts. The fact that Christians condone this behavior in the Bible, but are completely against it today is completely hypocritical, because, by all means, they should be just as disgusted by this behavior in the Bible as they would in modern day society, and that is my point.

quote mining is a fallacy. a thinking atheist would know this...

I hope...
13-05-2014, 05:25 PM
(13-05-2014 05:04 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 04:09 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  My point is why do Christians feel that this type of behavior by their god, as told in the Bible, is perfectly acceptable? There are several instances where their god orders biblical figures to murder people who have disobeyed him. They claim that the Bible is the word of their infallible god, yet they would be abhorred by such behavior committed by any person in the present day. God supposedly spoke to people in the Bible when he ordered them to commit these acts, but if a person today claimed that God ordered them to do the same thing, Christians would say he's nuts. The fact that Christians condone this behavior in the Bible, but are completely against it today is completely hypocritical, because, by all means, they should be just as disgusted by this behavior in the Bible as they would in modern day society, and that is my point.

I hope...

No Quote mining is what preachers who flip from one book to another to make Yahweh look like anything but a monster do. What atheists do is read the whole thing in context and see all the rape and murder you want to pretend doesn't exist.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-05-2014, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 06:12 PM by TheBear.)
What If Today A Person Murdered People And Said They Were Ordered To Do So By God?
Even though I vehemently oppose and disagree with Mr Walker, just like most everyone else here, I don't think bashing him around will help. We're above all that, (or at least I thought we were). We don't have to show our asses to make a point. Save those for the drunk posting thread. Smile

Religious propagandists will find a treasure trove of quote mines, right here in these threads, in order to show their followers how crude and debase atheists are.

.......runs fast..........
13-05-2014, 07:10 PM
(13-05-2014 05:04 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(13-05-2014 04:09 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  My point is why do Christians feel that this type of behavior by their god, as told in the Bible, is perfectly acceptable? There are several instances where their god orders biblical figures to murder people who have disobeyed him. They claim that the Bible is the word of their infallible god, yet they would be abhorred by such behavior committed by any person in the present day. God supposedly spoke to people in the Bible when he ordered them to commit these acts, but if a person today claimed that God ordered them to do the same thing, Christians would say he's nuts. The fact that Christians condone this behavior in the Bible, but are completely against it today is completely hypocritical, because, by all means, they should be just as disgusted by this behavior in the Bible as they would in modern day society, and that is my point.

I hope...

What's wrong? Don't like it when people expose all the immoral crap condoned by your book?

13-05-2014, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2014 07:45 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(13-05-2014 06:03 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Even though I vehemently oppose and disagree with Mr Walker, just like most everyone else here, I don't think bashing him around will help. We're above all that, (or at least I thought we were). We don't have to show our asses to make a point. Save those for the drunk posting thread. Smile

Religious propagandists will find a treasure trove of quote mines, right here in these threads, in order to show their followers how crude and debase atheists are.

.......runs fast..........

There is nothing wrong with pointing out the bullshit and hypocrisy in his arguments. Theists think that they deserve special treatment because our society has given it to them for way too long. If they can't handle the criticism, then tough luck as far as I'm concerned. Theists don't deserve to be treated with kid gloves just because it's religion. They are just as open to criticism as people who go around spouting their political opinions.

I'm tired of theists expecting to always be treated with kid gloves while they get to spout their religious crap wherever and whenever they please. So what if he wants to use quotes on here that are responses to his claims? "Look! I went to an atheist forum and they didn't treat me with kid gloves like we expect to get treated! See how mean they are?!"

[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post