What Intelligent Design might tell us about a god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 04:05 AM
RE: What Intelligent Design might tell us about a god.
(11-04-2017 01:43 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The thing is you can take any measurement of anything and if your measuring device is very precise, you can arrive at very exact details about its weight, it's shape in 3 dimensions, what colors of light it absorbs and reflects, how it reacts to sound, etc.

Just because the universe has precise values, doesn't mean that those values were assigned to it in some grand design.

A rock weighs what it weighs.
If I pick a rock and it weighs to be 2.786349757734 kg.
It wasn't designed to be that precise weight.
It simply is what it is.

The universe is the same
Fundies don't do "IF". IF would imply that it might have been different. And GOD made the whole damn universe so my cousins could pass their snakes around and praise god that they don't get killed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 06:52 AM
(11-04-2017 04:05 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:43 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The thing is you can take any measurement of anything and if your measuring device is very precise, you can arrive at very exact details about its weight, it's shape in 3 dimensions, what colors of light it absorbs and reflects, how it reacts to sound, etc.

Just because the universe has precise values, doesn't mean that those values were assigned to it in some grand design.

A rock weighs what it weighs.
If I pick a rock and it weighs to be 2.786349757734 kg.
It wasn't designed to be that precise weight.
It simply is what it is.

The universe is the same
Fundies don't do "IF". IF would imply that it might have been different. And GOD made the whole damn universe so my cousins could pass their snakes around and praise god that they don't get killed.

IF is exactly what they do.
If the earth was closer or further away from the sun, god couldn't have created life here.
If the laws of the universe were different, then god couldn't perform his miracles.
If the moon wasn't made of cheese, then where does cheese come from ?

I'm tempted to make up a claim saying "If the laws of gravity were just a little different, then it might be possible for a god to exist, but the way it is, gravity at its current value prevents gods from forming in this universe. We just got lucky."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
11-04-2017, 06:57 AM
(11-04-2017 06:52 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 04:05 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Fundies don't do "IF". IF would imply that it might have been different. And GOD made the whole damn universe so my cousins could pass their snakes around and praise god that they don't get killed.

IF is exactly what they do.
If the earth was closer or further away from the sun, god couldn't have created life here.
If the laws of the universe were different, then god couldn't perform his miracles.
If the moon wasn't made of cheese, then where does cheese come from ?

I'm tempted to make up a claim saying "If the laws of gravity were just a little different, then it might be possible for a god to exist, but the way it is, gravity at its current value prevents gods from forming in this universe. We just got lucky."
My point was that they aren't allowed to consider a universe that wasn't made for us by "God".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2017, 04:14 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/04/10...awaii.html
A parasitic worm that infects people's brains is turning up more frequently on Maui, and Hawaiian officials are getting worried. "It’s like having a slow-moving bullet go through your brain," says state epidemiologist Dr.

Sarah Park, per the AP, explaining the effects of rat lungworm disease. According to ABC News, the worm lives in the lungs of rats, but its larvae are expelled in the rats' feces and infect slugs and snails, which in turn pass the larvae on to humans.

The larvae can survive for months in humans, growing into worms an inch long. The parasite can cause a rare form of meningitis, which comes along with serious headaches, vomiting, temporary facial paralysis, and more.

There's no treatment for the disease, and it can cause permanent brain damage, ,though it is rarely fatal. Six cases of the disease have been reported on Maui in the past three months.

Another of God's little jokes.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
11-04-2017, 04:33 PM
(08-04-2017 10:15 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I was watching an episode of The Atheist Experience a few weeks back and a caller on the program talked about some book about the proof of intelligent design. One of the hosts (Tracie, I think) keep shutting him down with the question "How can you tell the difference between something that is natural (evolved) and something that is designed?

So I thought about that for a while and this is what I've come up with...

Intelligently designed life is a real thing, there are whole branches of science devoted to it, except we call it agriculture or genetic engineering, or animal husbandry etc... The reason science rejects the religious version of intelligent design is solely due to there being no evidence pointing to their "creator". So what would we expect evidence of a "supernatural" creator to look like? Well how would someone tell the difference between animals & plants we've fiddled with and the others just left to nature's influence.

*POOF* (all humans have just disappeared from the earth)

Now some aliens just wandered into earth orbit and their scientists are starting to study the life they see. Can they tell the designed from the natural? Of course they can, look at a dairy cow, they could easily tell that it could not exist in nature without outside assistance, they could also see that it produces many times more milk then would be required to raise its young. From this they could deduce that something else or someone else engineered the cow to use the milk. They would also find "seedless" oranges & watermelon's etc , from this they could determine what the diet of the "creator" of these things was.

They might find it more perplexing to figure out why someone would make this:

[Image: 6122cb371a319afa82c5d4e8077ebbdc.jpg]

out of this:

[Image: gray-wolf-snow.jpg.adapt.945.1.jpg]

But they would know that it wasn't natural forces that did it.

So the key difference we would look for is that "natural" life adapts and changes solely to the environmental conditions it finds itself in and just barely (as evidenced by the fact that 99% of all life that ever existed is dead) the animals that evolved naturally usually have little margins for error. A giraffe's neck is only as long as the trees it feeds on, the cheetah can run 80 mph but still that only allows it to catch it's prey 1 out of 10 times.

We have reengineered life for reasons other then what is required for it to survive in the wild, and often with the side effect that the life form couldn't survive on it's own any more. And we didn't just alter ONE species, we like to eat, and we have pretty much tried to change EVERTHING that we found to be edible (and even some stuff that wasn't originally edible in its natural form).

So now let's insert Yahweh (just for example) into this place. What does it want (according to the bible)? To be loved,worshipped, praised... so what would you expect him to "intelligently design", well you would need life of a certain level of intelligence to do all that loving & worshipping wouldn't you. But as far as I know we're the only species "capable" of worshiping anything. If we were wanting/needing worship/praise we'd be reengineering EVERY animal (plants too maybe?) that we saw with any potential for increased intelligence wouldn't we?

So why would he just pick us? Lucky, lucky us...

Likely answer is there's probably no god around (that requires worship) to "design" anything.

Shocking conclusion I know! Big Grin

I'd like to point out that intelligent design is TRUE!!!! (sort of)

Humans semi intelligently designed the banana as Ray Comfort discovered the hard way lol.

Proof humans are the closest thing to a god that we've ever seen demonstrated.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 04:40 PM
(11-04-2017 04:14 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/04/10...awaii.html
A parasitic worm that infects people's brains is turning up more frequently on Maui, and Hawaiian officials are getting worried. "It’s like having a slow-moving bullet go through your brain," says state epidemiologist Dr.

Sarah Park, per the AP, explaining the effects of rat lungworm disease. According to ABC News, the worm lives in the lungs of rats, but its larvae are expelled in the rats' feces and infect slugs and snails, which in turn pass the larvae on to humans.

The larvae can survive for months in humans, growing into worms an inch long. The parasite can cause a rare form of meningitis, which comes along with serious headaches, vomiting, temporary facial paralysis, and more.

There's no treatment for the disease, and it can cause permanent brain damage, ,though it is rarely fatal. Six cases of the disease have been reported on Maui in the past three months.

Another of God's little jokes.

Yeah I read that article today in the news, or I should more accurately say I tried to read it. I didn't make to the end of the article before my imagination made me ill and I had to stop, just reading this post is making me start to get itchy all over my skin. Sadcryface

How hard would it be for a powerful being to make a world were maybe all life are scavengers, or at least where life only eats things that have just recently died, even if they were just killed. For living things to tear or burrow or grow into and through other living things and feed on them while they're still living is very special level of horror.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post