What Is A Cult

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 02:30 PM
What Is A Cult
Being an Atheist forum, I would imagine that most people around here would view religion as a cult. Even if those cults may be successful, with many followers. In my highly considered opinion, that is a correct view to have. But to me, any belief system that has no basis in logic or morality can be viewed as a cult. For example, there are also political, social and economic cults. I hope to have some intellectual debates on all forms of cults. If this forum allows it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 02:34 PM
RE: What Is A Cult
Here's a link to our forum rules:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...d-Behavior

I suggest you read the rule on spam.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I always go with what the dictionary says, otherwise chaos ensues...

cult
kʌlt/
noun
1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
"the cult of St Olaf"
a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.
"a network of Satan-worshipping cults"
synonyms: sect, religious group, denomination, religious order, church, faith, faith community, belief, persuasion, affiliation, movement; More
a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular thing.
"the cult of the pursuit of money as an end in itself"
synonyms: obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for; More
2. a person or thing that is popular or fashionable among a particular group or section of society.
"the series has become a bit of a cult in the UK"
synonyms: craze, fashion, fad, vogue; informalthing
"the series has become a bit of a cult in the UK"

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
28-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Cult = a religion that pays tax.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
28-12-2014, 02:39 PM
What exactly is the difference between an "opinion", a "considered opinion" and a "highly considered opinion" ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-12-2014, 02:42 PM
... And what little belief would you like to challenge? Is it perchance the belief that sages may be found in the Northern regions above latitude... 63 degrees? (It may be 66, I can't remember offhand). Or maybe it has something to do with leaders of Germany in the 40s and concentration camps?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-12-2014, 02:43 PM
(28-12-2014 02:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What exactly is the difference between an "opinion", a "considered opinion" and a "highly considered opinion" ?

I'm guessing a highly considered opinion is the considered opinion one has of their own opinion.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
28-12-2014, 02:44 PM
(28-12-2014 02:43 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 02:39 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What exactly is the difference between an "opinion", a "considered opinion" and a "highly considered opinion" ?

I'm guessing a highly considered opinion is the considered opinion one has of their own opinion.

[Image: by-jove.jpg]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Don't remember where I heard it, but the best cult vs religion distinction is that in a cult there is a guy at the top who started the bullshit and in a religion that guy is dead.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post
28-12-2014, 03:12 PM
(28-12-2014 03:05 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Don't remember where I heard it, but the best cult vs religion distinction is that in a cult there is a guy at the top who started the bullshit and in a religion that guy is dead.

...or made up.