What Is God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2012, 08:45 PM
What Is God
The way I see it, there is a God. Not the one that theologians speak of and definitely not the one that sets on a cloud somewhere, but that doesn't mean he doesn't set in judgement of us all. Not as a group, but as our individual selves, for the God I speak of is the one that you see looking back at us when we look in a mirror. Not when others are around, but when we are alone and ask ourselves "WHO AM I?"

This God we all have and his name is conscience. He sets in judgement within a thrown we call a mirror, and we ask this God a question, every time we have need to evaluate ourselves. "AM I WHO I WISH TO BE, HAVE I DONE RIGHT?" It is his reply that cuts us far deeper than any book or scripture, because when we displease him, we displease ourselves, our mothers, fathers friends and those we care about.

His laws are not set down in a book, but carved into our souls, with every smile, every hurt and every injustice we have seen, heard about or felt. When we don't stand in accordance to our own book of laws, when we don't stand up for the rights we know are just and fair we denigrate ourselves and fall short of the persons we which to be.

Speak your mind, speak your heart and stand for what you know is truth. If you follow the guidelines of others you will never know yourself and the world will loose a vital part of itself. Your voice
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like justmetoo's post
31-03-2012, 09:01 PM
RE: What Is God
God is a concept by which we measure our pain. -John Lennon
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
31-03-2012, 10:42 PM
The reason I'm saying this is to turn the essential argument of the Theists on it's head. They, pretty much claim that it is a central being that makes us civil and that no society could ever develop a civil society, unless that magical being God is brought into the picture. This, to me is ludicrous on it's face.

What I'm saying is that Man creates God in his own image from what he feels as the right and proper way to be. The idea of a fatherly figure dates back to the times before we were even planting crops and was used to organize the chaos that early man couldn't comprehend.

The Thou shalt not steal, came after people settled down and started living in close quarters with one another. What they did by combining Papa Smurf and Barney Fife was set up a standard that they could force on new settlers, because their laws were, quote/unquote devinely given.
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
I can see where you're going with this but to me the word 'god' is a rather dirty word because of it's connotations.

I like how you're thinking, though Thumbsup Good luck in debating theists with this angle Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
01-04-2012, 12:45 AM
(31-03-2012 08:45 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  The way I see it, there is a God. Not the one that theologians speak of and definitely not the one that sets on a cloud somewhere, but that doesn't mean he doesn't set in judgement of us all. Not as a group, but as our individual selves, for the God I speak of is the one that you see looking back at us when we look in a mirror. Not when others are around, but when we are alone and ask ourselves "WHO AM I?"

This God we all have and his name is conscience. He sets in judgement within a thrown we call a mirror, and we ask this God a question, every time we have need to evaluate ourselves. "AM I WHO I WISH TO BE, HAVE I DONE RIGHT?" It is his reply that cuts us far deeper than any book or scripture, because when we displease him, we displease ourselves, our mothers, fathers friends and those we care about.

His laws are not set down in a book, but carved into our souls, with every smile, every hurt and every injustice we have seen, heard about or felt. When we don't stand in accordance to our own book of laws, when we don't stand up for the rights we know are just and fair we denigrate ourselves and fall short of the persons we which to be.

Speak your mind, speak your heart and stand for what you know is truth. If you follow the guidelines of others you will never know yourself and the world will loose a vital part of itself. Your voice
I respect your position; a non arbitrary authoritarian, mentor god.

When its all boiled down all we can do is the best we can within our mind sets relevant to our experiences.

I also like your mirror analogy, we can only learn from OUR errors
01-04-2012, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 03:46 AM by bemore.)
AWESOME post Justmetoo.......and it is this reason why under my avatar it says "My own god"

If you wish to use this angle in discussion with theists ask them to consider this. If there is no god that is listening to there prayers then who is it that passes judgement other than themselves.

We are but merely projecting outwards into the world on what we feel inside....... and how we feel inside is sometimes one of the most misunderstood and shyed away aspects of ourselves that we all take for granted.

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it - Rumi

Auditions are being held for you to be yourself............ apply within Smile

Heart Heart Heart Heart

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
01-04-2012, 08:25 AM
God is just an excuse people use to be an asshole. I don't need an excuse. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-04-2012, 08:48 AM
(01-04-2012 08:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  God is just an excuse people use to be an asshole. I don't need an excuse. Big Grin
Yea, well theology was always a power play, but taking the celestial image away reduces everything to the lowest common denominator, which is the perception of the viewer. In this case the perceivor just wants to feel empowered, without actually being so. Like a toy that when unwrapped is found to need batteries that are not included.
01-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Having someone rule over someone's destiny is a kids' logic. We are the rulers of each owns' destinies. But calling your own conscience God can be plain arrogant.

This "God" of yours is not omnipotent though...
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Ooooh, I like this thread.
The OP is great and most responses have also been up to the task.
Given that there is no clear definition of god, I am more than willing to go along with the consciousness of the self as a god.

The main argument for theism and where most atheists fail in their responses, is the argument of "good".
Theists argue that good comes from god and thus good is absolute and applies to all. That without recognition of god, an atheist striving towards the goal of good will only present a personal opinion not an absolute, thus falling short of god's absolute good.

Many atheists argue that they are good people and that when presented with choice they are making the right decisions. They qualify that knowledge of good can be derived from emotivism (love, compassion, empathy) or conventionalism (cultural and social norms), or rational thought based on humanistic principles (the golden rule, Buddhist principles, etc).
This is all fine and dandy, but although most atheists recognise that everyone comes up with a different set of morals and immorals, they fail to recognise that these are just individual opinions, that one person's opinion is no more right than that of another person. Theists point this flaw out to atheists all the time. But atheists either don't truly understand the implications of this or just ignore it, insisting that they are good people and are making the right decisions because they know what is right. To me this insistance of knowing what is right falls straight into the hands of the theist, debate over, the theist has won.

For me, given these two stances there are two paths that I can take:

1. Insist that I am a good person
and acknowledge that just like all other humans, my opinion is not based on full knowledge, that I cannot conclusively say that my morality is any better than anyone else's, that in order to be good, I must look to a higher power, an author of good. Thus I must become a theist. Although the in-surmounting problem now is trying to work out which of the thousands of flavours of theism is the true one. Once the flavour is chosen, I then must obey the morality presented to me, irregardless if my own conscience mind has reasoned that this morality is dangerous to others or to society.

2. Insist that good does not exist
. That people do what people do, some of our actions are dangerous to others and society while other actions are inert. That in order to survive I must act in a way that is not dangerous to others and society. With this path, I am not good, I am not moral, but I am not dangerous to others or to society.

I choose path 2, from a conceptual Point of View this is the "My own consciousness is god"