What Is God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
RE: What Is God
Christians think you are born a sinner.

So the only way you can escape it is to get baptized and act according to the scriptures which teach us to be good.

That's why they think atheists must be evil.

I remember having to go to confession every Wednesday. That was one of the things that turned me off religion. I found myself making up sins just so I would have something to say there. I figured if I said I hadn't sinned (which often was the truth, I was just a little girl) the priest would never believe me. So I lied. How screwed up is that?

People are social animals. They want to get along with other people and tend to behave themselves because of that. It's a simple as that.

People are also empathetic animals, and that is another reason they behave themselves.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2012, 05:05 PM
(01-04-2012 04:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's why they think atheists must be evil.
As far as I understand it, Christians assert:
God exists
God is perfect
God is just
The bible is the word of god.

They then interpret everything in order to make it consistent with these assertions.
In the bible it says that the unbeliever will go to hell for eternal torment.

In order for god to be justified in sending unbelievers to hell, the problem must be the unbeliever. Therefore the unbeliever must be immoral and evil and hence deserve eternal torment.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
01-04-2012, 07:01 PM
God/gods are ideas used to explain things that science at the time couldn't, Wind, fire the sun the moon at some point had some god behind them as a way to explain why they do what they do.

The ideas instead of staying as innocent explanations of things in nature, were changed and corrupted to suit whoever happened to be in power at the time.

Indoctrination is a powerful tool in controlling the masses, either through fear or brain washing.

So basically God/Gods are another form of control through fear and brainwashing to keep the ones in charge in a position of power and the followers in ignorance and submission.

I can't think of a better definition of gods and religion than that.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 09:31 PM by justmetoo.)
(01-04-2012 12:51 PM)Aswrathen Wrote:  Having someone rule over someone's destiny is a kids' logic. We are the rulers of each owns' destinies. But calling your own conscience God can be plain arrogant.

This "God" of yours is not omnipotent though...
Dude your conscience comes from you, therefore if your conscience is God, then your are as well. The term God to me is a source of power and guidance, which is exactly what your conscience is used for.

What God of mine and when did I say anything was omnipotent?

Theist's use God as a crutch and have really difficulty with those who don't need that crutch. They would rather define us as Evil and lost, because they think they would be that way, without the perception of God.

It's a Charley Brown world and they are Linus with their security blanket. The rest is history.
01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
(01-04-2012 09:11 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  
(01-04-2012 12:51 PM)Aswrathen Wrote:  Having someone rule over someone's destiny is a kids' logic. We are the rulers of each owns' destinies. But calling your own conscience God can be plain arrogant.

This "God" of yours is not omnipotent though...
Dude your conscience comes from you, therefore if your conscience is God, then your are as well. The term God to me is a source of power and guidance, which is exactly what your conscience is used for.

Theist's use God as a crutch and have really difficulty with those who don't need that crutch. They would rather define us as Evil and lost, because they think they would be that way, without the perception of God.

It's a Charley Brown world and they are Linus with their security blanket. The rest is history.
It just sounds too arrogant to call yourself God. You can call it a guide if you will, but calling it "God" really sounds off to me.
I mean that consciousness can be defeated easily and that can free you of your "guide". That's why I said it was not omnipotent
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
(01-04-2012 09:42 PM)Aswrathen Wrote:  
(01-04-2012 09:11 PM)justmetoo Wrote:  Dude your conscience comes from you, therefore if your conscience is God, then your are as well. The term God to me is a source of power and guidance, which is exactly what your conscience is used for.

It just sounds too arrogant to call yourself God. You can call it a guide if you will, but calling it "God" really sounds off to me.
I mean that consciousness can be defeated easily and that can free you of your "guide". That's why I said it was not omnipotent
Dude. I'm going to stop trying to explain the concept with you. You are clearly missing everything I am saying
01-04-2012, 10:16 PM
(01-04-2012 04:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  That's why they think atheists must be evil.
Are you implying that atheists are not actually evil, just perceived to be?
Damn!
I was so enjoying my baby sandwich, too.

02-04-2012, 12:17 AM
(01-04-2012 04:23 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Ooooh, I like this thread.
The OP is great and most responses have also been up to the task.
Given that there is no clear definition of god, I am more than willing to go along with the consciousness of the self as a god.

The main argument for theism and where most atheists fail in their responses, is the argument of "good".
Theists argue that good comes from god and thus good is absolute and applies to all. That without recognition of god, an atheist striving towards the goal of good will only present a personal opinion not an absolute, thus falling short of god's absolute good.

Many atheists argue that they are good people and that when presented with choice they are making the right decisions. They qualify that knowledge of good can be derived from emotivism (love, compassion, empathy) or conventionalism (cultural and social norms), or rational thought based on humanistic principles (the golden rule, Buddhist principles, etc).
This is all fine and dandy, but although most atheists recognise that everyone comes up with a different set of morals and immorals, they fail to recognise that these are just individual opinions, that one person's opinion is no more right than that of another person. Theists point this flaw out to atheists all the time. But atheists either don't truly understand the implications of this or just ignore it, insisting that they are good people and are making the right decisions because they know what is right. To me this insistance of knowing what is right falls straight into the hands of the theist, debate over, the theist has won.

For me, given these two stances there are two paths that I can take:

1. Insist that I am a good person
and acknowledge that just like all other humans, my opinion is not based on full knowledge, that I cannot conclusively say that my morality is any better than anyone else's, that in order to be good, I must look to a higher power, an author of good. Thus I must become a theist. Although the in-surmounting problem now is trying to work out which of the thousands of flavours of theism is the true one. Once the flavour is chosen, I then must obey the morality presented to me, irregardless if my own conscience mind has reasoned that this morality is dangerous to others or to society.

2. Insist that good does not exist
. That people do what people do, some of our actions are dangerous to others and society while other actions are inert. That in order to survive I must act in a way that is not dangerous to others and society. With this path, I am not good, I am not moral, but I am not dangerous to others or to society.

I choose path 2, from a conceptual Point of View this is the "My own consciousness is god"
There are many aspects of the worlds religion's I dislike, most of all being the trying to impose arbitrary definitions upon people as to what is 'true' according to their views.

As for an ineffable creative cosmic force I choose to be open minded. Essentially I agree with option 2, in keeping with how god is manifestly designated by the so called reverent ones..

mini banned but not browned off-----------Cool