What Is Normal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2012, 05:39 AM
What Is Normal?
You see, i am something of a social outcast and proud of it. I really do not see a need to conform with other peoples expectatons. Why would someone want to lessen their unique personality and attributes as part of a collective group and put other peoples goals before their own? I actually feel sorry for people who dont go their own way in life, and are slaves to a group for the purpose of appearing 'in' and part of something. There's nothing wrong with teamwork but this societal obssesion with being 'normal' really makes life unnecesarily difficult for minorities and people of different mental charectaristics, and if im honest, it pisses me off. Your thoughts on this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2012, 08:48 AM
RE: What Is Normal?
Unfortunately in order to get along in this world or at least in the culture you are in, you have to "play-the-game" as it were.

You know, puke out some rehearsed crap and all. Of course I am not sure what you mean by "social" outcast. Do you go out of your way to be caustic and brash? Do you dole out your brand of "honesty" at the expense of politeness, diplomacy and consideration?

Sometimes we simply cannot just do what we want and expect things to go smoothly but I understand what you mean though. There seems to be so many unspoken expectations these days that just general living seems like a chore.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
09-07-2012, 04:33 PM
A probability density function where 95% of the population is within 2 standard deviations of the mean. Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-07-2012, 08:18 PM
With how I think about the way you're talking about "Normal" I can't be sure such a thing really exists, since it's difficult to see it completely objectively. Some people who appear to you to be slaves to a group might just find themselves in that group because it's the way they really are and there are other people like them. Some people have an easy time finding people like them. Put them in another place, and maybe they would be the outcasts.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

10-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Normal is you relative to everyone else. If you were the only person on earth, you would be the standard for normal. Now if it were just you and another person, who would decide which one of you was the "normal" one? Probably the one with the sharpest hatchet.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
10-07-2012, 05:22 AM
(09-07-2012 04:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  A probability density function where 95% of the population is within 2 standard deviations of the mean. Wink
[Image: ItsOuttaHere.png]

It's one of those things that makes the most sense in mathematical terms. To take the normal out of a bunch of numbers is to divide the value by the amount. Same thing going on here, with some hidden variables. Meaning, communities form around points of common interest. Deviation from that commonality produces abnormality. As social animals, the collective is required to survive, the individual to thrive; and we require both. Eccentricity is tolerated; however, the hidden variable of humanity is simulation of future. This combines with the instinctive fear of the unknown to form censorship and segregation.

The only mystery here, is why you hanging with them peeps? Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-07-2012, 06:10 AM
I was gonna go for the literal response but GM and HoC beat me to it so instead, a question...

You say you are "a social outcast and proud of it", non-conformist and "Why would someone want to ... put other peoples goals before their own?"

This demonstrates classic introvert behaviour where values are derived from an internal framework rather than an external one.

But is it not possible to be introvert and also altruistic?
No need to answer cos I know it is possible. I see it every day.

10-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Ill be nice to most people, i have no reason not to. I am introverted, but i'd rather be that, i have better things to do than worry about others. I have two friends who i do care about and ofcourse theres family. Outside that, i really really do not care what other people expect. It's my life.
10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
(10-07-2012 11:49 AM)Daftheed Wrote:  Ill be nice to most people, i have no reason not to. I am introverted, but i'd rather be that, i have better things to do than worry about others. I have two friends who i do care about and ofcourse theres family. Outside that, i really really do not care what other people expect. It's my life.
Caring about what other people think pays off in certain situations, but not all the time. In order to obtain some things in life, going out of your way to care for others will work out for you. That may sound rather selfish, but let's be honest, you don't befriend someone who does not give you anything in return for it. A cynical way of looking at it, but yep.

As for "normal"? For individuals, in fluctuates slightly. There are some things, however, that we can assume as normal because the majority of people can relate to it. The majority of people find spiders to be unpleasant. The majority of people find it polite to hold the door for someone close behind you. The majority does not like stealing. Simplistic, but correct.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
10-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Authenticity minimizing the influence of the "They".
If you are different just to be different then you are reacting to the "They".

See JP Sartre.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.