What Is Preventing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2017, 03:24 PM
What Is Preventing
the Republicans from ditching Trump via impeachment in two days (1 day in the House, the 2nd in the Senate) so they can get their GOP agenda underway with Pence tootsweet? What purpose is it serving them to keep that lunatic around to monkeywrench their aims?

That they'll lose the trump base? Pswwhh.

In the months before the midterms they'll fulfill all the "important" trump objectives that coincide with their own and that bases' - and the base is so saturated with dimwits it'd be childishly (literally) easy to propagandize it into believing Pence is their messiah long before the midterms.

Not a scenario I'd like to see, but competent ship crews roll the loose cannons overboard before they splinter the masts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2017, 03:36 PM
RE: What Is Preventing
They want him to self-destruct. A man who's not afraid to wield the mob is a terrible thing. If he manages to lose the trust of his base by his own incompetence, they'll impeach him so fast his head will spin. Currently though, he's the king. They fear losing the mob that *they* carefully cultivated, and they fear the consequence if they go up against the mob themselves.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
24-08-2017, 03:41 PM
(24-08-2017 03:24 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  the Republicans from ditching Trump via impeachment in two days (1 day in the House, the 2nd in the Senate) so they can get their GOP agenda underway with Pence tootsweet? What purpose is it serving them to keep that lunatic around to monkeywrench their aims?

That they'll lose the trump base? Pswwhh.

In the months before the midterms they'll fulfill all the "important" trump objectives that coincide with their own and that bases' - and the base is so saturated with dimwits it'd be childishly (literally) easy to propagandize it into believing Pence is their messiah long before the midterms.

Not a scenario I'd like to see, but competent ship crews roll the loose cannons overboard before they splinter the masts.

Well, I can think of two reasons:

(1) They can't impeach someone just because they don't like him. There has to be evidence of "Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors"; and once impeached, there has to be enough evidence to convict him of such charges. I'm skeptical that such evidence exists at the present time.

(2) I'm pretty sure the wheels don't turn that fast. The initial impeachment has to go through several committees before the House votes on it, and then the trial is conducted in the Senate. I would be extremely surprised if such a trial concluded in only one day unless the evidence was overwhelming. The impeachment proceedings against Andrew Johnson took just over 3 months; and those against Bill Clinton took almost 2 months. Two days seems highly overoptimistic.
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
24-08-2017, 04:20 PM
(24-08-2017 03:41 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  (1) They can't impeach someone just because they don't like him.

Section 4 of Amendment 25 allows ditching an unfit president without a doctor's affidavit. Getting the otherwise bechasmed GOP to unify on ditching a bomb that threatens ALL their separate interests would seem straightforward - but I recognize that might assume more rational states of mind in the GOP than are there.

(24-08-2017 03:41 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  (2) I'm pretty sure the wheels don't turn that fast.

My "2 days" was rhetoric for "ASAP". As yet I have seen no indications the GOP even sees this scenario as a possibility.
24-08-2017, 04:46 PM
There are a great many of us who do not see Trump as unfit...or not as unfit as other contenders that have come along over the past few decades. Trump is Trump and that is rather refreshing.

The Republican Establishment, should they want to keep their cushy jobs, might do well to support the president that was elected. Do you think voters are not taking notes and writing down names?

There is nothing impeachable here. The base? The base is strong and those of us who might have been very skeptical and at best, cautiously optimistic...well, we sort of like what Trump has been saying and doing. That means that the base has grown. Don't be fooled by the media's attempts to make it seem different.

Just letting you know that there are people who do not agree with you. Most aren't about to say it in public or online because they have their intelligence questioned and are called all sorts of names. Why engage those who shout you down and belittle your opinions? So...Trump has plenty of support. Maybe not on all of his agenda, but on a great deal of it. That is what he ran on and that is what he won on.

I am not looking for an argument or debate...just letting you know my opinion.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
24-08-2017, 04:55 PM
(24-08-2017 04:46 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  There are a great many of us who do not see Trump as unfit...or not as unfit as other contenders that have come along over the past few decades. Trump is Trump and that is rather refreshing.

The Republican Establishment, should they want to keep their cushy jobs, might do well to support the president that was elected. Do you think voters are not taking notes and writing down names?

There is nothing impeachable here. The base? The base is strong and those of us who might have been very skeptical and at best, cautiously optimistic...well, we sort of like what Trump has been saying and doing. That means that the base has grown. Don't be fooled by the media's attempts to make it seem different.

Just letting you know that there are people who do not agree with you. Most aren't about to say it in public or online because they have their intelligence questioned and are called all sorts of names. Why engage those who shout you down and belittle your opinions? So...Trump has plenty of support. Maybe not on all of his agenda, but on a great deal of it. That is what he ran on and that is what he won on.

I am not looking for an argument or debate...just letting you know my opinion.

-Jeanne

Just one question: Do you like living in a democracy?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
24-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Precidence.

It's be against their political interests to do it.

Because once you impeach a President because you don't like him, and you're pissed off about the election results - it makes it easier to do it the next time.

Argue all you like about the " reason" he needs to be impeached - the perception will be it was because he's unpopular. That will open the floodgates for every sore loser of every stripe to initiate the next impeachment.

Then we will have a " democracy" that's about as stable as a third world country when the food runs out......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Hi Dom.

We live in a Representative Republic.

But...I know what you mean. I think there have been opportunities for too many presidents to become a tyrant and Trump is no less likely to do that then Obama was. I hear the New York Times is begging Obama to come back and save America.

I always thought he would try to find a way to get a third term and I guess he thought Clinton would continue his agenda for our nation. She couldn't and I am glad. That was a good break for our country's future, imo.

Nobody should stop paying attention at any time. Far too many citizens have. It is the duty of us, as well as, the duty of the two other branches of government to make sure that the checks and balances hold as our Constitution allows. I say let it work as it should.

[+] 4 users Like Jeanne's post
24-08-2017, 05:14 PM
It appears to me that currently what we are moving towards is mob rule. Not democracy or a republic. But mob rule based upon identity politics.

[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
24-08-2017, 05:14 PM
I probably would vote for President Obama again....

Other than that mess of corporate welfare for insurance companies ( ACA) he wasn't too bad......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post