What Is Preventing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2017, 12:57 PM
RE: What Is Preventing
(24-08-2017 03:24 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  the Republicans from ditching Trump via impeachment in two days (1 day in the House, the 2nd in the Senate) so they can get their GOP agenda underway with Pence tootsweet? What purpose is it serving them to keep that lunatic around to monkeywrench their aims?

That they'll lose the trump base? Pswwhh.

In the months before the midterms they'll fulfill all the "important" trump objectives that coincide with their own and that bases' - and the base is so saturated with dimwits it'd be childishly (literally) easy to propagandize it into believing Pence is their messiah long before the midterms.

Not a scenario I'd like to see, but competent ship crews roll the loose cannons overboard before they splinter the masts.

I think you underestimate the weight Trump voters swing. They aren't traditional Republicans -- remember, many of them voted for Obama and for the same reason: change. They didn't get it with him, and they're not going to get it with Trump, but if the Shitgibbon is knifed on the Senate floor those voters will likely remember it.

I'm skeptical that they'll be able to accomplish much of their agenda. The record thus far into Trump's tenure bespeaks the fractures his candidacy capitalized upon. Those fractures not only still exist (between the business wing, the Moral Majority wing, and the Tea Partiers that helped him to the nomination), they are being exacerbated by none other than Trump himself, taking shots at an Arizona senator who's voted for most the things Trump loves, taking shots at McConnell, and so on.

Republicans are afraid, and rightly so, that they will be stained by his views on America's racial divide, but right now, the math is that they're better off coexisting with racists rather than chasing off their mouthpiece.

I'd love to see Kasich challenge in 2020.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2017, 01:04 PM
(24-08-2017 05:12 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  I always thought he [Obama -- Thump] would try to find a way to get a third term [...]

Paranoid much? There is a firm Constitutional bar against any such maneuver with no exigent workarounds. The only way such a thing could happen would be by main force.

No doubt Trump and his ilk would have suggested a "Second Amendment" solution had this fevered fantasy come to pass anyway ... but that's not the real point here.

I'm much more worried about Trump trying to leverage his cult of personality to autocratic ends in the event that he loses 2020. He seems like just the narcissist to try it out.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-08-2017, 01:12 PM
(24-08-2017 06:05 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Trump's not being a politician and not be of the Political Establishment of either party, which runs DC no matter what flavor the president, is enough to disqualify him in the minds of both Republicans and Democrats who don't want to lose their reins of power to an outsider.

I'm an independent. I don't think he's unfit because he's not of the political class. I think he's unfit because I've seen no indication that he has any concern for anyone else but himself.

That is the surest disqualification for anyone trying to be a leader.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-08-2017, 01:19 PM
(24-08-2017 07:27 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  What is this, Jeanne must provide answers to everyone about her posts and opinions? Smile

Not playing this game anymore tonight. As I replied to Dom, if you liked what you heard and saw from Obama, then we are not hearing and seeing the same thing. Is okay, we don't have to.

If you listen to the man and are aware of what he has done as President, then you know what I mean. I have never agreed completely with anyone and this man is no different. I may not care for him as a potential mate or dance partner, but so far I am doing okay with his Presidency. Okay...not fantastic, because that would make him like a loving father deity-savior, right?

You offered up your opinion. If you cannot or will not stand up for them and explain why you feel what you feel, then why should anyone care what those opinions are?

What does Trump say that you like? What does he do that you like?

Be specific. Absent that, I've got no reason to see you as anything other than a spoon-fed drone.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-08-2017, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2017 08:37 PM by DLJ.)
Quote:The only one "playing a game" is you; you are the one who said those things and then apparently don't want to answer the question.

I mean seems like a pretty simple request, but you danced around it like a politician.

I may have danced around the requests, but it is because I do not want to get dragged into a lengthy debate about my opinions on Trump or my political leanings of Conservative Libertarianism. Too often I spend my time answering questions posed to me and rarely have the same done for my questions, whether it is from fellow atheists or from Christians.

I appreciate that Dom thinks well of me, but I am leery of entering into political debate here and for good reason I think you would agree. I believe I can offer my opinion in response to the OP and not have to defend them other than to state that many people in the US agree with me.

Consider if you would how much you would tire of forever having to defend your reasons for voting for Clinton or supporting Obama and his agenda were you posting on a very Conservative website. Is it not enough just to admit to having a different opinion for your own reasoning?

I don't have much time to spend online and while it could make for interesting and stimulating conversation, I just would rather not remain that stimulated on a continuous basis.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
25-08-2017, 05:39 PM
I was thinking that he might be serious about a massive infrastructure New Deal type program. I'm generally kind of fiscally conservative but I thought it might be a nice fuck-you to everybody- the Republicans, who would have to smile and swallow it, and the Democrats, who would see their own rugged yanked from under them. And it would give job opportunities to thousands with few economic prospects elsewhere. A stupid thought, but I had it.

EDIT: If this seems out of the blue I was kind of piggybacking on DLJ's post, which was the last one a few minutes ago. Fuck time flies fast around here!

EDIT: No, I just fucked up and didn't read ahead far enough. Arggggh, oh well it's Friday.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
25-08-2017, 05:44 PM
(24-08-2017 10:44 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 05:14 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  It appears to me that currently what we are moving towards is mob rule. Not democracy or a republic. But mob rule based upon identity politics.

Gee I wonder who keeps stoking such tensions...

Identity Politics got into full swing with Woodrow Wilson. Lyndon Johnson set the game up well with the Great Society agenda.

But...recently? That would be Barrack Obama, who set race relations back decades. When he was first introduced to the nation, I had such hopes for his future as our president, but they were quickly dashed the more I learned about him and it was painful to watch what went down over his two terms.

Who stokes the tensions? Those who have to gain from America's demise. Left. Right. Communists. Fascists. Anarchists throughout the spectrum.

25-08-2017, 05:54 PM
(25-08-2017 05:44 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Barrack Obama, who set race relations back decades.
I must have completely missed this. Please explain. I really dont understand.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
25-08-2017, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2017 06:09 PM by Jeanne.)
Having trouble with my post, so trying again.

I kept the first Op Ed I read about allowing a third term for Obama for a few years before I purged my desk and tossed it out. I heard talk about such a thing several times before the campaign marathon began. The NY Times runs an Op Ed begging Obama to come back onto the national stage to save America?

I don't think my thinking he would have liked to have a third term and probably was seeking a way to do it was paranoid. After all, Clinton was supposed to win and that would have been Obama's third and fourth term...don't you think? She may have hated him, but her handlers knew he would be there for the Leftists in the Establishment. I have no doubt that he would have had an important role to play in a Clinton administration.

25-08-2017, 05:56 PM
(25-08-2017 05:44 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Identity Politics got into full swing with Woodrow Wilson. Lyndon Johnson set the game up well with the Great Society agenda.

Some Identity Politics are better than others...in the 1960s, I can't really blame or fault blacks for focusing on themselves and their rights to try to catch a break. What do you mean with W Wilson? Did you mean white identity politics? I think that's a very interesting way of looking at it...but I don't want to assume I know what you meant.
Quote:Who stokes the tensions? Those who have to gain from America's demise. Left. Right. Communists. Fascists. Anarchists throughout the spectrum.

Totally agree. And hucksters. This is the kind of thing that you can literally make a good living from, the good of the nation be damned.