What Is Preventing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 08:24 AM
RE: What Is Preventing
(27-08-2017 08:41 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 01:34 PM)tomilay Wrote:  One thing I have learned during Trump's presidency? That America can clearly function without a President. Maybe time to try a Westminster parliamentary system.

No, no, and no to the Westminster system. It's already fucked over our government in recent memory. Check out Gough Whitlam’s 1975 dismissal as prime minister.

This reports on possibly the most outrageous and undignified event in Australia's political history, and worse, this could easily happen today, more than 40 years later. Briefly, the Australian Governor General, the Queen's representative here was (is) the most powerful single individual in the country. As such, he literally sacked our entire, constitutionally-elected government. The Queen of a foreign country, Elizabeth II was asked to intervene, and reinstate the government, but refused—despite having the absolute power to do so.

On top of that fiasco, far, far too many laws of our land are still beholden to British laws that may be hundreds of years old, and in accord with the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Hopefully, when the 91-year-old Queen departs this mortal coil shortly, Australia—at long last—can become a self-governing republic, unhampered by a born-to-rule bunch of millionaire inbreds.

Granted, it's not perfect. But that could be solved by having a figurehead for President/Governor general.

The appeal of the British system, IMO, is the simplicity of replacing the guy at the top. If you have a nutcase, the party can just kick him out and put someone else of their choice in his stead. That would be like the Republican party having the power to replace Trump, without having to go through the hustle of impeachment proceedings or article 25.

The last seven months have shown me that it wouldn't be as chaotic to change the top guy frequently, as I once thought. Every day, this year you could expect to see a different President, usually in the form of another new low. There is nothing this guy is accomplishing but tweeting and offending large sections of the population, yet somehow the country moves on - to be fair, I am a little concerned for overall security because of the dysfunction.

The parliamentary system also seems to be more friendly to small parties, representing diverse interests with a less rigid approach to pragmatic coalitions. In a country of over 300 million, there is no way 2 parties like we have can represent the interests of everyone.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like tomilay's post