What Is Truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2013, 02:12 PM
What Is Truth?
This question was purportedly asked to Jesus by Pontius Pilate during the trial of Jesus of Nazareth (doesn't really matter if the story is true or not, however) and Jesus did not answer it.

Therefore, let's investigate and see if we atheists can come up with an answer to this question that Jesus so miserably failed to respond to.

My definition of truth is the following:

Truth is all that which can be determined to exist.

What's your take on this rather philosophical question?

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2013, 02:18 PM
RE: What Is Truth?
Meh.
Truth is that which accords to reality.
The problem then becomes how to determine what reality is. That is the issue.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 3 users Like djkamilo's post
19-12-2013, 02:20 PM
>How do you determine something to exist or not?
>What is truth?
19-12-2013, 02:21 PM
BTW.
The Gospel of John also contains the statement where Jesus said prior to encountering Pilate "I am the truth". This gospel particularly tends to have answers before the question arises, so in a way he does answer it but not in the same passage. Goes to show the bias and agenda of this gospel writer.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
19-12-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna try and be all poetic and profound with this...

Truth:

Amid a sea of lies the truth may be hard to find... But in a sea of truth, lies become obvious.

Damn that felt good...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Sam's post
19-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Truth is relative. What is true for me may not be true for you.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
19-12-2013, 04:45 PM
[Image: 88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
20-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Truth is as good as nothing on the grand scale; a man made construct that must be used by all within this universe.

Truth cannot exist without an observer. Would 2+2=4 there were no observers to see the mathematics through? No it would not, and it would also not equal 5, nor 6, nor any number that we have created. This is because truth can only come from observation.

It might be hard to think about, but with no observers, there is nothing. Canyons do not definitively exist without the birds perched atop, and even then, I do not know definitively whether or not they are actually able to perceive. To me, I am the only definite observer within the whole of this universe. Thus, everything that is not within my perception does not exist until the moment in which I perceive it, and the same goes for all of you.

Truth has come about as a way of looking at the world, either through a magnifying glass, or through a filter.

If you are to look through the magnifying glass, you will see truth in patterns, strewn across the vastness of our universe; 'objective' truth.

If you look through a filter, truth is entirely yours, and "false" patterns will be seen strewn across the vastness of our universe; 'subjective' truth.

Thus, truth can only exist in a limited sense, and the subtraction of these limitations lend way to bullshit.

However, everything that I have said in this post was entirely subjective, and should be treated as such.
20-12-2013, 08:10 PM
(19-12-2013 04:28 PM)Dom Wrote:  Truth is relative. What is true for me may not be true for you.

Well, that's true. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Truth is personal. Each person has their truths.

"How can one be an atheist if he is constantly praying for redemption"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user