Truth = not falsth.

Smartass

Any time. No need to thank me.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
21-12-2013, 04:50 AM
RE: What Is Truth?
(19-12-2013 04:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: 88611-beating-dead-horse-gif-South-P-ZqEc.gif]

Man, I'm old, and the whole ranch is dead. Big Grin

What is true is the line between two points of truth. Thumbsup

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Facts are what should matter not "truth" in layperson's meaning. The only way to determine facts are through observation, testing and falsification. That doesn't make us robots, but insistence on quality control helps insure less chance of error.

Everything modern that we have from jets to cell phones to computers to medicine are not simply "philosophy", they start out as ideas based on prior data and technology and then through testing and falsification build upon the facts we have already confirmed.

Quote:Each person has their truths.

This is the problem with most humans. "Truth" is merely what they like believing. We are all entitled to our own opinions but not our own facts.

"It feels right" is a very base placebo instinct based on our flawed perceptions as humans. In a very evolutionary sense we evolved to seek patterns. The problem is that evolution's primary goal isn't to fill those gaps by testing and falsification. Placebo gap filling can work in evolution. The ancient Egyptians falsely believed for 3,000 years that the sun was a thinking god. Evolution doesn't care who reproduces, be they uneducated or the scientist. All that matters in evolution is that you make offspring.

Dawkins in "The God Delusion" describes this gap as "the moth mistaking the light bulb for the moon". So when you say everyone has their own "truths", that is a very misguided attitude out of some sense of empathy. "Truth" in this context is mere opinion, and not fact, like gravity and entropy and evolution.

Humans can have very cruel senses of what "truth" is because "it feels right". "Truth" to some is that women should submit to men. "Truth" to some is that slamming planes into buildings is doing Allah's work. "Truth" to some is that being gay immoral and unnatural.

Our species is flawed, but the upside to our species is that we also have the ability to question and test to seek FACTS beyond our own personal "truths".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
21-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Maybe we can collective decide on some definitions?

Truth = fact-based, verified, most current interpretation of evidence; measurable / quantitative i.e. what we 'know' is true... objectively.

Troof = intuition-based, anecdotal interpretation of perceptions; qualitative i.e. what we 'feel' is true... subjectively.

Y'know what? I'm tempted to start a TTA Glossary... particularly for drive-by theists like savedwheat who insist that atheism relates to knowledge and not belief.

Consider

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
21-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I seek Truth...

truth can be ascertained via a majority, the Greek already posed this question.

[Image: ec25156e-63b1-4c54-98cc-e0325deeaf3b_zps3f7864d1.jpg]
Hands Of Dust
21-12-2013, 05:57 PM
(20-12-2013 08:06 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Truth is as good as nothing on the grand scale; a man made construct that must be used by all within this universe.

Truth cannot exist without an observer. Would 2+2=4 there were no observers to see the mathematics through? No it would not, and it would also not equal 5, nor 6, nor any number that we have created. This is because truth can only come from observation.

It might be hard to think about, but with no observers, there is nothing. Canyons do not definitively exist without the birds perched atop, and even then, I do not know definitively whether or not they are actually able to perceive. To me, I am the only definite observer within the whole of this universe. Thus, everything that is not within my perception does not exist until the moment in which I perceive it, and the same goes for all of you.

Truth has come about as a way of looking at the world, either through a magnifying glass, or through a filter.

If you are to look through the magnifying glass, you will see truth in patterns, strewn across the vastness of our universe; 'objective' truth.

If you look through a filter, truth is entirely yours, and "false" patterns will be seen strewn across the vastness of our universe; 'subjective' truth.

Thus, truth can only exist in a limited sense, and the subtraction of these limitations lend way to bullshit.

However, everything that I have said in this post was entirely subjective, and should be treated as such.

Oh, goody, a solipsist. Drinking Beverage Silly boy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
21-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Truth is elusive.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
21-12-2013, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 21-12-2013 08:15 PM by Hafnof.)
Truth is that which corresponds to external reality. However, truth cannot be directly known. The best we can do is propose hypotheses that we believe correspond to external reality and that make specific predictions about what we will observe when we test them against external reality.

When a prediction our hypothesis makes fails during testing we must reevaluate our hypothesis. We must modify it or discard it in favour of hypotheses that have better predictive power.

Those hypotheses that are proved false can be discarded as false, but for every hypothesis whose predictions are reliable there is an infinite set of alternative hypotheses that make the same predictions. Therefore we cannot say our verified hypothesis is "true", only that it is "verified". We can heuristically argue that the simplest verified hypothesis out of a given set of alternative hypotheses is "more likely" to be true than more complex hypotheses that have the same predictive power. However we can at best point to our set of simplest verified hypotheses as "provisionally true" and "awaiting falsification".

The set of simplest verified hypotheses at any given time is our "knowledge", which is sufficiently predictive of external reality to allow us to build space stations and feed the hungry. But is it true? Only provisionally so.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
21-12-2013, 10:27 PM
(21-12-2013 12:45 PM)λάθε βιώσας Wrote:  I seek Truth...

truth can be ascertained via a majority, the Greek already posed this question.

A majority of Greeks?

As Shakespeare put it: "It's all Greek to me"

I don't seek truth. I seek the Atheist Experience.

... which is all Greek to you, I guess.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-12-2013, 12:57 PM

#sigh