What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2017, 05:52 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(27-08-2017 05:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 04:40 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And if you leave a gun lying around "ready" to fend off home invaders, the #1 excuse for doing so, then it's not safe and children can die.

I don't understand the mentality that my guns need to be loaded to be "at the ready". If these people are so concerned that a home invasion would not give them the minute it would take me to grab a shotgun, go into the laundry room and grab some slugs and then pump the shotgun then they have not spent adequate attention to their perimeter security. For $500 you can get a steel door and frame that would keep everyone but the SWAT cops at bay for at least a minute. Not only that, when potential intruders see a steel door they figure that there's some other shit behind it they'd probably rather not face.
It's an excuse, not a reason. They just want to have their toys where they can play with them. Well, that and the "Good Guy With A Gun", aka John Wayne syndrome, where they are being interviewed after having single-handedly fought off an entire Soviet airborne regiment. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
27-08-2017, 06:04 PM
(27-08-2017 05:41 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 04:40 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And if you leave a gun lying around "ready" to fend off home invaders, the #1 excuse for doing so, then it's not safe and children can die.

My gun is laying right there.

No kids are dying.

In fact, I haven't seen a kid in this house for 20 years.

Has anyone checked your crawlspace?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-08-2017, 06:15 PM
(27-08-2017 06:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-08-2017 05:41 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My gun is laying right there.

No kids are dying.

Has anyone checked your crawlspace?

Brilliant defense as usual, "no kids dead, no kids ever in the house". I'm pretty sure you don't have visitors at all, OLB. Drinking Beverage
27-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Americans often come across as terrified to this outsider.

"I need my gun!!!!" shakes in terror.

If one is so worried, then there should be a reason, e.g. one is a criminal, undercover operative, police officer, crazy etc.

If one's gun is "Right there" in front of one, well I don't know what to make of that?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
27-08-2017, 06:54 PM
(27-08-2017 06:27 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Americans often come across as terrified to this outsider.

"I need my gun!!!!" shakes in terror.

If one is so worried, then there should be a reason, e.g. one is a criminal, undercover operative, police officer, crazy etc.

If one's gun is "Right there" in front of one, well I don't know what to make of that?

Self-defense is another excuse for the cool toys. Some folks actually buy into it and wind up shooting strangers because they looked at the gunner cross-eyed.
27-08-2017, 07:08 PM
I studied Chinese and Japanese martial arts weapons. Now that now I no longer teach I don't need those weapons. If I still had a dojang/dojo/school/community space etc, things may differ.

It's so bizarre.

I don't need a broadsword or 9 section whip by my fridge, in case of an intruder.

America. Blink

I don't get it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-08-2017, 07:55 PM
(27-08-2017 07:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I studied Chinese and Japanese martial arts weapons. Now that now I no longer teach I don't need those weapons. If I still had a dojang/dojo/school/community space etc, things may differ.

It's so bizarre.

I don't need a broadsword or 9 section whip by my fridge, in case of an intruder.

America. Blink

I don't get it.

America has lived by the gun since its inception. It was born by the gun and had prospered invariably by the gun.

There's gonna be a hell of a violent happening to ever change that attitude, especially when we hold the most, and the most lethal.

It's a weirdly comfortable position to be in, given the current global atmosphere. Not that I agree with it, but it is what it is.

In the meantime people will die as a consequence, and we will continue to have guns because we value power over pragmatism.

Peace through superior firepower. Don't worry, we're the good guys, remember? Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
27-08-2017, 08:52 PM
America is an experiment I suppose. We just have to see how it plays out.

When one considers the OP question, it is interesting that the topic moves virtually directly to America.

It's obviously a national fixation.

Just, wow.

Banjo.
27-08-2017, 10:39 PM
(27-08-2017 05:41 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My gun is laying right there.

No kids are dying.

I guess this is true from a purely hypothetical scenario, but in Australia it's becoming more common for home invasions to be committed by adolescents, which means we may have "uninvited" kids in our houses. One of the recent cases in north-west Melbourne involved a gang of 14- and 15-year-old kids armed with baseball bats and fence pickets, who busted into an occupied house and stole several wallets, tablets, and mobile phones before escaping on foot.

The residents weren't physically injured, but I'd hate to think of the potential fatal result if the homeowner had a gun lying on his coffee table. A 14-year-old kid killed for a $200 mobile phone? Ouch.

Blink

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-08-2017, 10:46 PM
That's odd, the prospect of being beaten with baseball bats and fence pickets in your own home does not bother you?
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post