What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 07:21 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(03-02-2015 07:20 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 07:18 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Yeah, he has angry problems.

I'm telling you. That without provocation, without warning your brain would shut down. You woukd not be able to process what was happening in the seconds that it was happening.

And I am telling you it didn't. What do you not like the fact it does not shut down?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2015, 07:34 PM
(03-02-2015 07:11 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 06:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  I am pointing out that it doesn't fucking matter what I learned 30 or 40 years ago.

It does, I asked this to see if you knew that if you don't practice martial arts in 30 or 40 years, it will go.

Well, duh.

Quote:
(03-02-2015 06:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  It meant what it said. Unless your little person with some martial arts training disables a larger, stronger aggressor very quickly, they will likely lose the fight.

You do know it requires patience and timing as well.

Since I have had training I do, in fact, know that. But once grappling, weight, size, and strength are real advantages - which I also know from my training.

Quote:
(03-02-2015 06:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  The exception is the person with extensive martial arts training.

Tell that to my cousins, who had basic karate training and still can fight more than one person, and disarm someone.

Is your cousin a 5'2" 17 year-old? An arthritic 60 year-old? An amputee? On oxygen? Using a cane? Drunk? High?

No? Many people fall into those and other categories of less than able.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2015, 07:39 PM
(03-02-2015 07:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Is your cousin a 5'2" 17 year-old? An arthritic 60 year-old? An amputee? On oxygen? Using a cane? Drunk? High?

But didn't I say about disabled? And doesn't it?

You know what fuck it you win.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM
For martial arts to be effective as protection you have to be within arm or leg length of an attacker...I would prefer them at a distance looking down the barrel of a gun in my hand.

I have no illusions of being Bruce Lee.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-02-2015, 08:39 PM
(03-02-2015 08:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  For martial arts to be effective as protection you have to be within arm or leg length of an attacker...I would prefer them at a distance looking down the barrel of a gun in my hand.

If they are far enough for that, they are far enough for a gun as well. Nobody attacks from far range without a gun. So when they are close?

03-02-2015, 09:19 PM
(03-02-2015 06:42 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Here is the Thing: in the moment- you can't fight. Your brain will not communicate to your body what is happening.

The dog that mauled me, I stared dumbfoundedly at what was happening because my brain would not process the info I was seeing.
If I'm taken by surprise - and it only takes seconds - I will not be able to use my gun.

But

Given more than a few seconds and I will.
The difference is my life. No mma fighting would help me

Yet you seem to think you will have perfect accuracy with a firearm under similar circumstances. What is it with people thinking they are gonna be an Action hero in the event of a break in or assault? Simple fact is you have a gun cause it makes you feel better despite it actually increasing your risk factor instead of keeping you safe.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
04-02-2015, 06:31 AM
(03-02-2015 09:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 06:42 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Here is the Thing: in the moment- you can't fight. Your brain will not communicate to your body what is happening.

The dog that mauled me, I stared dumbfoundedly at what was happening because my brain would not process the info I was seeing.
If I'm taken by surprise - and it only takes seconds - I will not be able to use my gun.

But

Given more than a few seconds and I will.
The difference is my life. No mma fighting would help me

Yet you seem to think you will have perfect accuracy with a firearm under similar circumstances. What is it with people thinking they are gonna be an Action hero in the event of a break in or assault? Simple fact is you have a gun cause it makes you feel better despite it actually increasing your risk factor instead of keeping you safe.

what you don't seem to get is that I find the increase of risk an acceptable one. The same way that I consider the risk of owning a car to be worth it. The risk of owning a home. Etc.

Find me anything that doesn't have some non-zero risk?

Will I have perfect accuracy in those situations? Maybe not perfect but I won't go from hitting the target to a wild shot. Maybe the shot pattern won't be as tightly clustered but you really only need 1 bullet to hit them. I'm not trying to kill them. I'm trying to end the threat. Big difference.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
04-02-2015, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 07:45 AM by Chas.)
(03-02-2015 07:39 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 07:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  Is your cousin a 5'2" 17 year-old? An arthritic 60 year-old? An amputee? On oxygen? Using a cane? Drunk? High?

But didn't I say about disabled? And doesn't it?

So you're OK with them having guns, then.

Quote:You know what fuck it you win.

Of course I do. I have logic, facts, experience, and a realistic view of a threat situation.

When everyone has martial arts training, the playing field will have been leveled, according to your opinion of martial arts. But it won't have been. It will be as equally uneven as now.

A 5'3" 64 year-old trained in martial arts will generally get his ass kicked by the 6'4" 25 year-old trained in martial arts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2015, 06:44 AM
(03-02-2015 08:39 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 08:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  For martial arts to be effective as protection you have to be within arm or leg length of an attacker...I would prefer them at a distance looking down the barrel of a gun in my hand.

If they are far enough for that, they are far enough for a gun as well. Nobody attacks from far range without a gun. So when they are close?

*shakes head* you watch too much TV. Not every robber is armed with a gun. Not every assailant is armed with a gun. Knife? Bat? Crowbar? No one. Except maybe someone who is high, would continue to approach someone with a gun. If I saw Anj with a shotgun leveled at me, I wouldn't approach her, or even attempt to swing my gun arm up. Because she would pull the trigger before I even got a shot off.

No one is Bruce lee. Or Liam Neison. Those fight scenes aren't real. And there is no way I can disarm someone without a gun and the instructions from my mouth.

Further - an assailant would not know I had a gun, so Rev and Zeke's theory is moot. Every concealed carry holder does not pull their gun until they are going to use it. Your idea that we keep it in our front waistband and show it to people who make us mad is also hollywood.

I promise you. There are people carrying guns that you would never suspect. In my pistol permit class (when I was getting my concealed carry) there was a 90 year old woman there with a little Baretta pea shooter.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
04-02-2015, 07:00 AM
When the shooting starts - punks run like hell......

So - 6 shots, 10 shots or 30 shots - it usually doesn't matter. Odds are real good you'll only have to shoot one or two of 'em.

Anyone who thinks they can win a fight bare handed against someone who's trained with a firearm deserves the extra orifices they're going to be getting.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post