What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 05:35 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(26-01-2015 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I keep Mossbergs. Biden was right I don't need anything more than a short-barrel pistol grip shotgun for home defense. Of course the pistol grip is now illegal in MD which complicates the situation.

(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I simply don't understand how someone can be so anthropomorphic as to assign "evil" to an incoherent and incomprehensible chunk of paper.

[Image: quran.gif]

Tongue

Well...fellow Marylander, our state will find a way to complicate everything! And...while they are illegal to buy now, they are not illegal to own.

What pisses us off most recently with Progressive Maryland is the refusal to allow suppressors to be inherited or sold to others. The transfer tax merely allows the buyer to own one and then... be buried with it, I suppose. Obviously, more education is needed because those discussing the law think they are actually silencers that make for sneaky-quiet assault, murder and mayhem...just like in the movies; a little "ping" and a body falls.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
02-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Gun owners are not a single homogenous demographic. I've been an owner and shooter since 1965. My wife is getting a new 9mm for her birthday next week. We keep our guns at the range unless I'm going coyote weeding.

The dangerous gun owners are the ones who leave the weapons laying around where others can get them. This includes carrying them in public.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
02-06-2017, 05:54 AM
The diversity of people in any arbitrary grouping, means there are total idiots and assholes among them.

Responsible gun-owners tend to be reasonable people. Irresponsible gun-owners tend to be unreasonable people. Illegal gun-owners tend to be criminally minded people.

Stupid people are everywhere and most of them are armed with a vehicle.

[+] 3 users Like Jeanne's post
02-06-2017, 06:01 AM
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  This thread will have to be primarily for those in the US - as most countries gun laws are so strict as to prevent the "average Joe" from gun ownership.

What is your opinion of gun ownership?

I am a gun owner. I grew up around guns, and have always considered them to be something that every person should have at least a basic working understanding of. I like guns as an investment. If properly purchased - you never lose money on one. I like to shoot, build guns, and provide meat for my table every year by taking at least a couple of whitetail deer. (I'll take roadkill as well. I'm not squeamish).

I have a concealed carry permit - and have carried a gun daily since 2001 - without an incident. I've held classes at my house, for people wanting their concealed carry license (mandatory in this state). Everyone in my immediate family (except my niece - she just came of age) has a carry permit as well. None of us have ever had a mishap with a firearm.

I marvel at those people who think "guns are evil". I simply don't understand how someone can be so anthropomorphic as to assign "evil" to a chunk of steel.

I used to have a prejudiced attitude to gun owners but sound arguments by both yourself and Chas and Jdog changed my mind on the issue of gun ownership and necessity of firearms within the USA.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
02-06-2017, 06:06 AM
(02-06-2017 05:36 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Gun owners are not a single homogenous demographic. I've been an owner and shooter since 1965. My wife is getting a new 9mm for her birthday next week. We keep our guns at the range unless I'm going coyote weeding.

The dangerous gun owners are the ones who leave the weapons laying around where others can get them. This includes carrying them in public.

Well...Gawdzilla, I do keep a baseball bat by my front door and a lead pipe in my vehicle, but I keep my Glock 9mm at my side and another at the bedside with the pistol grip shotgun, and one in the computer desk and another in the den.

And...when I shower alone in the house, I take my Glock into the bathroom with me and my phone and lock the door and the house doors are also locked.

And...we taught our children how to handle guns early on and will teach the grands similarly. Never a toy gun. And guns out of reach of the very young and ambitious climbers and investigators. Loaded but not chambered.

I don't get your stance; a gun at the firing range does nothing to protect your family or your property. It is just a toy for a hobby. What do you do to protect yourself should you need to do so? You have NO firearms in your house?

I do not, however, have a carry in public permit. I only carry on our property. My husband has a public carry, however, and trains regularly with local law enforcement.

02-06-2017, 06:32 AM
(02-06-2017 05:54 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  The diversity of people in any arbitrary grouping, means there are total idiots and assholes among them.

Responsible gun-owners tend to be reasonable people. Irresponsible gun-owners tend to be unreasonable people. Illegal gun-owners tend to be criminally minded people.

Stupid people are everywhere and most of them are armed with a vehicle.

Not this shit again.

"Other bad things happen so do nothing" is not an argument.

Cars get recalled and you have the ability to sue the companies. And they still have size limits and you cant do 100mph in a school zone. And car makers work to making safer products too.

If restaurants were causing 36,000 deaths on average per year because of food poisoning you'd want something done.

I am sick of this stupid idea that wanting less firearm death is a call to become a one party fascist state.

"Sell more and do nothing" is not an argument to reduce firearm deaths, it is merely you buying gullible fear.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
02-06-2017, 06:37 AM
Brian, I was writing about stupidity and how it gets people maimed and killed...with or without the presence of a gun.

02-06-2017, 07:49 AM
(02-06-2017 06:37 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  Brian, I was writing about stupidity and how it gets people maimed and killed...with or without the presence of a gun.

Firearms are our Brian's hot button Jeanne, You should see him and OLB go head to head its thermonuclearLaugh out load Really is a sight to see. Popcorn
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
02-06-2017, 07:54 AM
I'm a gun owner too, but haven't even visited a range of any sort in probably three or four years. I take the pistol apart and clean it maybe once a year, and could do it with my eyes closed; as a mechanic, I thoroughly understand every part and process of the mechanical aspects, so it doesn't really register with me on a technical level as much more than a jet-propelled slingshot.

I do however, wish that it had taken at least a little more than 20 minutes to walk into and out of Academy Sports and purchase it; Texas is ludicrous in how lax they are regarding gun sales. I laughed my ass off when one of our Texas congressmen stated a while back that he was opposed to letting in Syrian refugees because guns were too easy for them to get their hands on here.

That said ...when I used to visit some of my (ultra-right) family, I thought it a little creepy watching them and seeing the difference between "handling" a gun, and "fondling" one.
02-06-2017, 07:57 AM
This is my gun. Big Grin

This is my weapon. I'm kinda a weapon. Cheezy-assed malfunctioning one. I remember one time, the spidey sense was tingling, so I was gonna pack my knife. only, I didn't. Went out packing Bible, ftw.

It's kinda funny, (until it isn't) that in America, I'll challenge all comers with a dusty ol' king james. That says something about America. Smartass

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]