What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 08:01 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
I don't keep guns at home because I don't need them there. No shooting opportunities. There is no thought of opening fire in my house. If you have a gun at home you're one mistake away from being a statistic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-06-2017, 08:06 AM
(02-06-2017 08:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  you're one mistake away from being a statistic.

...come on, now, that's a constant state of being. As a gov't sponsored nutbag. Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
02-06-2017, 08:07 AM
(02-06-2017 06:06 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 05:36 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Gun owners are not a single homogenous demographic. I've been an owner and shooter since 1965. My wife is getting a new 9mm for her birthday next week. We keep our guns at the range unless I'm going coyote weeding.

The dangerous gun owners are the ones who leave the weapons laying around where others can get them. This includes carrying them in public.

Well...Gawdzilla, I do keep a baseball bat by my front door and a lead pipe in my vehicle, but I keep my Glock 9mm at my side and another at the bedside with the pistol grip shotgun, and one in the computer desk and another in the den.

And...when I shower alone in the house, I take my Glock into the bathroom with me and my phone and lock the door and the house doors are also locked.

And...we taught our children how to handle guns early on and will teach the grands similarly. Never a toy gun. And guns out of reach of the very young and ambitious climbers and investigators. Loaded but not chambered.

I don't get your stance; a gun at the firing range does nothing to protect your family or your property. It is just a toy for a hobby. What do you do to protect yourself should you need to do so? You have NO firearms in your house?

I do not, however, have a carry in public permit. I only carry on our property. My husband has a public carry, however, and trains regularly with local law enforcement.

See, this attitude I cannot fathom.
It is completely alien to me.

I just don't understand that level of fear. I don't get it.

(BTW. Aside from our attitudes to healthcare, this is the single most important difference between Americans and Canadians)

Don't get me wrong: I've fired every calibre upto and including a Carl Gustav.
I used to be a qualified range safety officer.
I spent months carrying around a rifle EVERYWHERE, including next to me in a sleeping bag.
I know exactly what firearms can do.

And I would never, EVER, want to live in a society where the situation you describe above is considered normal.

For most of us in the developed world outside the U.S., what you describe is NOT normal (except possibly in a wilderness area featuring a high grizzly/polar bear population, and even then ...)

It reminds me of an incident my husband described some years ago, when he invited a group of U.S. contractors out to dinner after a meeting. They were in downtown Ottawa, and it was late fall, so night had fallen. As he started heading out the door to walk to the restaurant a few blocks away, the contractors refused to follow: how could they be sure they wouldn't be mugged or shot, since night had fallen?
My husband took them to the door and pointed out the elderly lady returning from the store, laden with groceries, to convince them that they weren't in danger.

Sure, bad things happen to good people.

But when you live in a society where you see everyone as a potential threat, because anyone could be armed to the teeth, the terrorists have won.
And by terrorists, I don't mean ISIS or their ilk.
I mean the authorities/NRA/media who have terrorized the U.S. population into believing that they need firearms to defend themselves from their neighbours, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Reducetarian's post
02-06-2017, 08:11 AM
There are all sorts of statistics. There are certain statistics that I choose not to be a part of. A victim of an invader is not one I find acceptable.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
02-06-2017, 08:11 AM
(02-06-2017 08:06 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 08:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  you're one mistake away from being a statistic.

...come on, now, that's a constant state of being. As a gov't sponsored nutbag. Laugh out load

We're talking about guns here, try to stay focused. Drinking Beverage
02-06-2017, 08:12 AM
(02-06-2017 08:11 AM)KUSA Wrote:  There are all sorts of statistics. There are certain statistics that I choose not to be a part of. A victim of an invader is not one I find acceptable.

And you are more likely to shoot a resident than a burglar. Also, you don't have to have a gun to be ready to deal with a intruder. If the gun is stored safely then it's not available for immediate use. If it's available for immediate use it's not stored safely.
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-06-2017, 08:18 AM
My gun is stored safely. It's loaded and chambered. It's also in the locked room with me.
02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
(02-06-2017 08:18 AM)KUSA Wrote:  My gun is stored safely. It's loaded and chambered. It's also in the locked room with me.

Bunker mentality aside, how is it safe?
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
02-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Unless it starts shooting by itself it's just laying there.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
02-06-2017, 08:32 AM
(02-06-2017 08:27 AM)KUSA Wrote:  Unless it starts shooting by itself it's just laying there.

No lock?