What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 06:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(26-01-2015 05:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 05:37 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  I don't think guns are evil but it seems they cause more accidents then good.

In the U.S. about 600 or 700 people die in firearms accidents. Compare that with the number of crimes prevented and lives saved; also compare to other causes of accidental death.

Apparently that claim is disputable. The Myth of a Good Guy With a Gun

Can't get the Slate link to work. Dunno what that means. Just google "Good guy with a gun myth" if you're curious.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2015, 06:07 PM
(26-01-2015 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I simply don't understand how someone can be so anthropomorphic as to assign "evil" to an incoherent and incomprehensible chunk of paper.

[Image: quran.gif]

Tongue

(26-01-2015 06:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  What qaliber is that quran?

Laugh out load
26-01-2015, 06:26 PM
(26-01-2015 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I keep Mossbergs. Biden was right I don't need anything more than a short-barrel pistol grip shotgun for home defense. Of course the pistol grip is now illegal in MD which complicates the situation.

(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I simply don't understand how someone can be so anthropomorphic as to assign "evil" to an incoherent and incomprehensible chunk of paper.

Tongue

My shotgun doesn't have written on it's side, a passage that instructs me to kill infidels in exchange for 72 virgins! Dodgy
Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
26-01-2015, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 06:38 PM by yakherder.)
The nature of gun owners are as diverse as the nature of non-gun owners. I do, however, view anti-gun people in much the same way as anti-vaxxers. As with everyone, I am of course the end result of my screwed up experiences.

I have the unique position of simultaneously existing in a few different worlds. In Canada, where I live and work most of the time, I get to hide, more or less, within the protective bubble of civilization and forget, temporarily, how fragile it is. Even here, however, working in law enforcement up until a few days ago (I quit for a different job, largely because I don't like where it's heading), I saw a lot of what many Canadians don't even realize is right next door to them. And let me just say that even here in peace loving Canada, there is some downright scary shit going on.

When I drive across the border into Vermont, I'm either doing my weekend warrior thing practicing with weapons ranging from rifles to machine guns to anti tank missiles or hitting the range with some of my own guns (I keep them stored in Vermont), which include a near duplicate of my service rifle without full auto as well as my own favorite my Vector CRB, which I consider to be my ultimate post shit hit the fan home defense beast. In Canada, firearm use is highly restricted. In Vermont, they don't even issue licenses. Ownership and the ability to carry, both open and concealed, are allowed without any kind of permit.

Then there are the deployments, which have covered a range of shit holes throughout the world over the last 15 years. And let me sum up my experience by saying that one universal reality in any country, regardless of its situation, is that whoever is most able to wield the threat of violence, whether government, militia, glorified criminal gang, or foreign insurgency, has control. And for those of you who think our own police force has or is capable of taking absolute control if the situation arises, I've got bad news...

So even as a gun owner I don't view other gun owners in either a positive or negative light. They are merely players in a big chess game. My judgement of them is based not on whether or not they own a gun, but on which side they're on. Whether or not their goals are in line with my own. And my view of anti-gun people as being the same as anti-vaxxers is based on my belief that just because you have conquered a problem, whether it's a potentially devastating disease or the threat of a group whose agenda is different enough from your own to warrant violent confrontation with them, does not mean that the problem can not immediately resurface if you give it a chance to do so. In both cases, the cure is not without risk, but is a much better alternative than the problem it keeps in check.

Edit: To expand on my differentiation between anti-gun people and non-gun owners... Most people are not meant to be fighters, and I have nothing against them. If you know you'd be worthless in a scrap then, by all means, don't get a gun. Your purpose and your mindset differs from mine, and all I ask is that they stay the hell out of my way. That is different from the anti-gun person who not only chooses to stay on the sidelines (which again is fine), but actively tries to infringe on my ability to do what I do (which is not fine).

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
26-01-2015, 06:39 PM
(26-01-2015 06:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I keep Mossbergs. Biden was right I don't need anything more than a short-barrel pistol grip shotgun for home defense. Of course the pistol grip is now illegal in MD which complicates the situation.

Tongue

My shotgun doesn't have written on it's side, a passage that instructs me to kill infidels in exchange for 72 virgins! Dodgy
Tongue

In the same way, let your light so shine before other, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
26-01-2015, 06:42 PM
(26-01-2015 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 06:26 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  My shotgun doesn't have written on it's side, a passage that instructs me to kill infidels in exchange for 72 virgins! Dodgy
Tongue

Arise! Shine! For your light arrives! The splendor of the Lord shines on you!

I got Barry Pepper as Private Daniel Jackson from Saving Private Ryan doing his prayer thing playing in my head! Confused

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
26-01-2015, 06:52 PM
I think they are mis-guided.

It only takes that one little mistake and you are burying one of your kids.

And, before you say it, no. Training makes no difference.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
26-01-2015, 06:56 PM
(26-01-2015 06:42 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 06:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Arise! Shine! For your light arrives! The splendor of the Lord shines on you!

I got Barry Pepper as Private Daniel Jackson from Saving Private Ryan doing his prayer thing playing in my head! Confused

Brilliant!

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-01-2015, 07:00 PM
(26-01-2015 06:52 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I think they are mis-guided.

It only takes that one little mistake and you are burying one of your kids.

And, before you say it, no. Training makes no difference.

Your unsupported assertion is dismissed. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Pro and con - I must compliment all posters thus far.

Civility such as has shown here is a rare thing and I do so enjoy seeing it displayed.

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post