What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 01:16 PM
(02-06-2017 01:00 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 12:56 PM)KUSA Wrote:  They have sunk in. You need to get off your high horse.

You don't keep your guns safe after saying you do. That's a low horse, sir.

That is your opinion. I don't share your opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 01:17 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
Gun owners (versus non-gun owners) are vastly over-represented in the US when compared to a country like Australia—which has a similar socioeconomic and sociopolitical demographic.

The figures speak for themselves...

Number of guns per 100 US residents = 88.8
Number of guns per 100 Australian residents = 15

Number of intentional gun homicides in US per capita = 4.2
Number of intentional gun homicides in Australia per capita = 1

[Most recently available data from GunPolicy.org]

As a former serving ADF (Army Engineers) member, and the owner of several rifles, I have no particular bias regarding gun ownership—presuming the firearm is only held by a suitably trained and state licensed holder. What does concern me—particularly seeing images of US citizens proudly displaying their 30 or more weapons—is the sheer overall numbers of firearms in the US; nearly every resident (on average) would appear at first glance to own one.

And this possibly explains why the US gun homicide rate is more than 4 times that here in Australia. But Australia is often criticised (by Americans?) for our allegedly restrictive gun laws. Doesn't really make sense does it?

Although with imagery like this, with a Denver CO dad and grandfather showing a 3-year-old boy how to hold a gun it's likely one of the answers.....

[Image: 4f8877b2b3b87-image.jpg]

You would never, ever see this in Australia. And what concerns me about this particular image is the look of glee on the kid's face—plus he has his finger on the trigger, although he's not preparing to shoot somebody.

Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
02-06-2017, 01:21 PM
(02-06-2017 01:16 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 01:00 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You don't keep your guns safe after saying you do. That's a low horse, sir.

That is your opinion. I don't share your opinion.

Yeah, your lack of education will cause that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2017, 01:22 PM
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  This thread will have to be primarily for those in the US - as most countries gun laws are so strict as to prevent the "average Joe" from gun ownership.
A NZ citizen. Guns isn't a USA concern it is a worldwide concern.
The average joe in NZ can apply for an attain a firearms license and then can procure some guns.

(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What is your opinion of gun ownership?
Depends what gun ownership you are talking about?
Are we considering guns for controlling pests, for hunting animals for food, hunting animals for fun, for protection from other people, for protection from police and government?

(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I grew up around guns, and have always considered them to be something that every person should have at least a basic working understanding of.
I think it is entirely reasonable for people to have no understanding of guns.

(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I like guns as an investment. If properly purchased - you never lose money on one. I like to shoot, build guns, and provide meat for my table every year by taking at least a couple of whitetail deer. (I'll take roadkill as well. I'm not squeamish).
If buying, hoping for the value to go up, that is speculation not investment.
If buying and maintaining your guns and hunting food is cheaper than buying meat from supermarket then perhaps you are getting a better deal than fishermen, owning a boat is much more expensive than buying fish from the supermarket.

(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I have a concealed carry permit - and have carried a gun daily since 2001 - without an incident.
I've never carried a gun in public ever and I can say that I have been over 40 years without incident, never had a moment where I wished I had one. I'd say it is unlikely (not impossible) that I will be mugged or raped, or caught up in a shooting or terrorist incident. I feel very safe without possessing weapons.

First line of self protection is to be careful when and where I travel. Don't walk alone down dark quiet alleys.

(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I marvel at those people who think "guns are evil". I simply don't understand how someone can be so anthropomorphic as to assign "evil" to a chunk of steel.
I don't think anyone thinks that guns are evil.

I apply the same thoughts to a person who carries a knife for self protection to the person who carries a gun for self protection.

Why do you think you need self protection? What situations are you thinking you might get into?
I can understand a drug dealer wanting to carry a weapon, I don't see the need for your average joe to carry one.

When I go for a night out on the town, having a violent altercation is the last thing from my mind. If "arguments"are getting heated or if someone is being an idiot, then just walk away.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
02-06-2017, 01:33 PM
(02-06-2017 01:21 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 01:16 PM)KUSA Wrote:  That is your opinion. I don't share your opinion.

Yeah, your lack of education will cause that.

[Image: 930df02cdfe37c1c8347d278be3c8fee.jpg]
02-06-2017, 01:43 PM
You can try to hide behind that if you want, I don't care. I'm quite pleased with your input so far, makes my case very effectively.

I await your next cartoon.
02-06-2017, 01:51 PM
The only addition I have to offer this thread, is that my political position on the matter modified considerably after being the victim of home invasion myself, with a second avoided by virtue of being a gun-owner. I felt bad that many of the residents of that particular "bad neighborhood" didn't have the option of simply picking up and moving to a safer (and quite a bit more expensive) place like I did.

That I may have been a statistical anomaly only goes so far when you've actually been through it.
02-06-2017, 01:57 PM
(02-06-2017 01:51 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  The only addition I have to offer this thread, is that my political position on the matter modified considerably after being the victim of home invasion myself, with a second avoided by virtue of being a gun-owner. I felt bad that many of the residents of that particular "bad neighborhood" didn't have the option of simply picking up and moving to a safer (and quite a bit more expensive) place like I did.

That I may have been a statistical anomaly only goes so far when you've actually been through it.
And personal anecdotes are not conclusive evidence once you've actually thought about it.
02-06-2017, 02:03 PM
(02-06-2017 01:57 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And personal anecdotes are not conclusive evidence once you've actually thought about it.

Nope, and I never suggested otherwise. Only that when you've "been there" ...opinions on the matter can change.
02-06-2017, 02:10 PM
(02-06-2017 02:03 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 01:57 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And personal anecdotes are not conclusive evidence once you've actually thought about it.

Nope, and I never suggested otherwise. Only that when you've "been there" ...opinions on the matter can change.
But should it? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...eople-die/