What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 02:24 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(02-06-2017 01:43 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You can try to hide behind that if you want, I don't care. I'm quite pleased with your input so far, makes my case very effectively.

I await your next cartoon.

What do you expect from this moron? He is a shit poster that the second he gets blowback begins brown nosing harder than Sean Spicer. Unfortunately there are enough people around here that works on or he would still be in the negative rep.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 02:27 PM
(02-06-2017 02:10 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  But should it? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...eople-die/

Very instructive link, and a clear argument against the excesses of private gun ownership in the US.

"... though some people certainly use guns for self-defense, the data suggest that overall, guns are used far more often for killing than self-defense".

Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-06-2017, 02:30 PM
(02-06-2017 02:10 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 02:03 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  Nope, and I never suggested otherwise. Only that when you've "been there" ...opinions on the matter can change.
But should it? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...eople-die/

Nice article, and we probably agree on more than we disagree about concerning gun control in the US, only that this statement:

Quote:I don't keep guns at home because I don't need them there. No shooting opportunities. There is no thought of opening fire in my house. If you have a gun at home you're one mistake away from being a statistic.

...leads me to believe that you probably have never personally experienced a home invasion (armed or unarmed). Which is fine, and my personal anecdote should be regarded as such. This is a highly personal subject, not unlike pro-life versus pro-choice (which I'll also always err to the side of "choice" on). I think the NRA is throwing gasoline on a fire that's rampant in our country, but there are still some issues that emotion overules, especially when you've experienced it on a personal level ...and this is one for me.

Except for a yearly cleaning, guns have zero role in my life. I now live in a great neighborhood, I have no children (nor any who ever visit), so it isn't much of an issue anymore.

I truly respect where you are coming from, it's just not a philosophy I share, and there's nothing wrong with that. The 1% of stuff we might disagree on doesn't make me lose any sleep.
03-06-2017, 01:27 AM
(27-01-2015 07:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 11:42 PM)Jack_Ripper Wrote:  It's also a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. That is not up for debate.

That's debatable. I read the 2nd Amendment more like an obligation and I don't like being obliged without my consent. Tomato tomatoe I guess.

Firstly, gun-owners are assholes. Before you say "Not all gun-owners...." Okay, fine, Pete, he isn't an asshole. But the rest of us are. Okay, with that out of the way I have to address the quoted material.

Girly, wouldn't that make you a practical anarchist? Or a dictator with you at the helm? The government doesn't nothing but make obligations of you. No? It's really seems to be an argument of you obligations you would have made if the government didn't exist in some utopia fantasy world. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Also "tomatoe"? No. Never. I take umbrage with that! A tomato, those tomatoes, never "tomatoe", unless it's in quote marks to tell someone that it should never be spelt that way. You say tomato, I say tomato. In this unique case, you say "tomatoe", I say "No". Big Grin

03-06-2017, 06:27 AM
(02-06-2017 02:30 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 02:10 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  But should it? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...eople-die/

Nice article, and we probably agree on more than we disagree about concerning gun control in the US, only that this statement:

Quote:I don't keep guns at home because I don't need them there. No shooting opportunities. There is no thought of opening fire in my house. If you have a gun at home you're one mistake away from being a statistic.

...leads me to believe that you probably have never personally experienced a home invasion (armed or unarmed). Which is fine, and my personal anecdote should be regarded as such. This is a highly personal subject, not unlike pro-life versus pro-choice (which I'll also always err to the side of "choice" on). I think the NRA is throwing gasoline on a fire that's rampant in our country, but there are still some issues that emotion overules, especially when you've experienced it on a personal level ...and this is one for me.

Except for a yearly cleaning, guns have zero role in my life. I now live in a great neighborhood, I have no children (nor any who ever visit), so it isn't much of an issue anymore.

I truly respect where you are coming from, it's just not a philosophy I share, and there's nothing wrong with that. The 1% of stuff we might disagree on doesn't make me lose any sleep.

After Sandy Hook Obama had the CDC take a look at gun violence. They are pretty much hamstrung on this issue because the CDC is forbidden by law to study gun violence, but they did what they could. The results were published as Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence. As the name suggests the study was intended to look at what areas of gun issues needed research the most. In order to do that they looked at the research that has already been performed. Some of things they found shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that's spent any time looking at the issue.

According to the CDC the best data available says people in the US that use guns in defensive situations are less likely to be injured than people who use other defensive strategies in defensive situations. The study also concludes that while estimates of the numbers of defensive gun use vary widely that even at the low end of the estimates people use guns to defend themselves more often than guns are used to injure and/or kill people.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
03-06-2017, 06:35 AM
(02-06-2017 02:30 PM)Grauwyler Wrote:  

I used to teach violence in the Navy. I was rather good at it. I don't need a gun to slaughter someone, something I've proved more than once.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2017, 06:37 AM
Girls with guns are sexy. That makes all other data irrelevant.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-06-2017, 06:44 AM
Anybody who has to rely on a gun to "protect" their home is already in serious trouble. Wear the damn thing in the shower, do you? Ready to open fire if woken up in the dead of night?

If you can't fight with whatever's at hand, even if only your hands, then you've lost the fight before it begins.
03-06-2017, 06:46 AM
What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(03-06-2017 06:35 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I used to teach violence in the Navy. I was rather good at it. I don't need a gun to slaughter someone, something I've proved more than once.

[Image: 0f9dc0b91b706cb78ee7f98554ffb7a9.jpg]
03-06-2017, 06:49 AM
(03-06-2017 06:46 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 06:35 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I used to teach violence in the Navy. I was rather good at it. I don't need a gun to slaughter someone, something I've proved more than once.

[Image: 0f9dc0b91b706cb78ee7f98554ffb7a9.jpg]

And you again show the level of discourse you're capable of providing. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post