What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 10:04 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(03-06-2017 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  ...these dogs are trained to detect malice and subversion. You hear a lot about human officers shooting the wrong person, you don't hear about canine officers subduing the wrong people. The law suits would be horrendous.

Sadly, it's more common than you think.

Vancouver police dog mistakenly attacks 87-year-old woman

Sioux Falls police dog attacks the wrong person

The horrific moment a police dog mauls a 17-month-old baby after officers mistake her innocent father for a criminal

These are just the ones we hear about.

*edit to add*
... but, of course, that's entirely off-topic from the OP. Sorry about that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2017, 10:04 AM
(03-06-2017 09:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I can totally see both sides of this argument but, and I'm not saying this to be sarcastic or piss you off but no matter how well trained you are you cant deflect bullets isn't a person with a handgun better able to defend themselves in certain circumstances?

I think Popeye's Pappy's link mentioned this and bears reposting:

(03-06-2017 06:27 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  After Sandy Hook Obama had the CDC take a look at gun violence. They are pretty much hamstrung on this issue because the CDC is forbidden by law to study gun violence, but they did what they could. The results were published as Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence. As the name suggests the study was intended to look at what areas of gun issues needed research the most. In order to do that they looked at the research that has already been performed. Some of things they found shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that's spent any time looking at the issue.

According to the CDC the best data available says people in the US that use guns in defensive situations are less likely to be injured than people who use other defensive strategies in defensive situations. The study also concludes that while estimates of the numbers of defensive gun use vary widely that even at the low end of the estimates people use guns to defend themselves more often than guns are used to injure and/or kill people.

(03-06-2017 09:26 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I don't need a gun to defend myself, so I won't be a gun donor.

Which is cool, and although it may not be your intention, it seems a lot like you are insinuating that because you are such a badass, that everyone else ought to be as well, which doesn't really add much to the discussion and comes off sounding a lot more like braggadocio than constructive criticism.
[+] 3 users Like Grauwyler's post
03-06-2017, 10:11 AM
I have a couple guns for home defense. I don't get the obsession some people have with guns though. I don't find it that entertaining to go shoot them off.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
03-06-2017, 10:17 AM
(03-06-2017 10:11 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I have a couple guns for home defense. I don't get the obsession some people have with guns though. I don't find it that entertaining to go shoot them off.

That's me as well ...haven't been to a range in years, and it was never something I found especially "fun" even when I was a little more regular about it. I'd much rather spend my scant disposable income on beer than target rounds, in an activity that usually aggravates some of my health issues.
03-06-2017, 10:24 AM
(03-06-2017 09:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 09:26 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I don't need a gun to defend myself, so I won't be a gun donor.

No, but you could be a martial arts donor. Or a pepper spray donor. Or a knife donor. Anytime you attempt to (or not to) defend yourself in the event of an attack, you run the risk of injury and/or death.

The topic is guns, try to stay focused.

And please, how the fuck would I be a martial arts donor? Blink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2017, 10:25 AM
(03-06-2017 10:04 AM)Grauwyler Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 09:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I can totally see both sides of this argument but, and I'm not saying this to be sarcastic or piss you off but no matter how well trained you are you cant deflect bullets isn't a person with a handgun better able to defend themselves in certain circumstances?

I think Popeye's Pappy's link mentioned this and bears reposting:

(03-06-2017 06:27 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  After Sandy Hook Obama had the CDC take a look at gun violence. They are pretty much hamstrung on this issue because the CDC is forbidden by law to study gun violence, but they did what they could. The results were published as Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence. As the name suggests the study was intended to look at what areas of gun issues needed research the most. In order to do that they looked at the research that has already been performed. Some of things they found shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that's spent any time looking at the issue.

According to the CDC the best data available says people in the US that use guns in defensive situations are less likely to be injured than people who use other defensive strategies in defensive situations. The study also concludes that while estimates of the numbers of defensive gun use vary widely that even at the low end of the estimates people use guns to defend themselves more often than guns are used to injure and/or kill people.

Which is cool, and although it may not be your intention, it seems a lot like you are insinuating that because you are such a badass, that everyone else ought to be as well, which doesn't really add much to the discussion and comes off sounding a lot more like braggadocio than constructive criticism.
I didn't start out life being competent to defend myself, I learned. Why is that so difficult for some people?
03-06-2017, 10:28 AM
(03-06-2017 10:11 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I have a couple guns for home defense. I don't get the obsession some people have with guns though. I don't find it that entertaining to go shoot them off.

Personally, I think one's enough (if you are just using it for home protection purposes). I do think they are fun to shoot in a controlled environment. My brothers have several (they hunt as well), which to each their own (as long as you are responsible with them). One of my brothers is really into any new gadget and was in awe of showing me his new night vision goggles the last time I went for a visit. And they were pretty cool Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
03-06-2017, 10:33 AM
For you who have guns for "home defense", do you keep them on you at all times? Loaded with the safety off? Never put them down?
03-06-2017, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 10:48 AM by jennybee.)
(03-06-2017 10:24 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 09:31 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No, but you could be a martial arts donor. Or a pepper spray donor. Or a knife donor. Anytime you attempt to (or not to) defend yourself in the event of an attack, you run the risk of injury and/or death.

The topic is guns, try to stay focused.

And please, how the fuck would I be a martial arts donor? Blink

My point was that whenever you attempt to protect yourself-whatever way that might be, guns or no-you run the risk of harm to your person. People have different ways that they feel comfortable protecting themselves--for some it's guns, for some pepper spray, for some martial arts, for some a knife, for some a baseball bat under the bed, and for some, a combo of all. And any of these scenarios, things could backfire, so why the emphasis on oh, guns, you're fucked if shit hits the fan?

As far as my staying focused Hobo -You were the one that said you were well trained in martial arts (unless I'm mistakenly attributing your post to someone else). If you want this thread to solely be about guns, then why bring up your martial arts background in the first place?

You could be a martial arts donor by getting your ass handed to you while attempting to protect yourself in a physical altercation.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-06-2017, 10:46 AM
(03-06-2017 10:04 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 09:56 AM)Dom Wrote:  ...these dogs are trained to detect malice and subversion. You hear a lot about human officers shooting the wrong person, you don't hear about canine officers subduing the wrong people. The law suits would be horrendous.

Sadly, it's more common than you think.

Vancouver police dog mistakenly attacks 87-year-old woman

Sioux Falls police dog attacks the wrong person

The horrific moment a police dog mauls a 17-month-old baby after officers mistake her innocent father for a criminal

These are just the ones we hear about.

*edit to add*
... but, of course, that's entirely off-topic from the OP. Sorry about that.

Yep, usually one of two things fouling stuff up: The handler, and too many stimuli at once. Usually the handler. Neither would be likely to happen here.

A well trained German Shepherd canine is like a loaded gun. Not everyone should have one, not everyone can handle one. Difference is that the public is kept from owning trained canines.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man