What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2017, 12:05 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(03-06-2017 12:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 11:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Would you wear your gun in the shower? Do you sleep with it in your hand?

Nah, but only because I live where it's illegal to do so and I've chosen to be one of the good(ish) guys. I've spent a number of years in contexts where I was required to sleep with it locked, loaded, and in reach, though, and would have been punished had I not done so.

Now I just keep a slingshot and a handful of .54 caliber lead balls in reach and accept that I will be at a disadvantage if alien terrorists materialize in my room in the middle of the night.
I slept in a gun tub more than one night, but I'm asking about the "home defense" theory. Having a gun for defense is episodic if you don't have it instantly at hand. And if you have it instantly at hand and ready to use then it's more likely to kill someone in your home than deter an intruder.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2017, 12:05 PM
(03-06-2017 12:05 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 12:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Nah, but only because I live where it's illegal to do so and I've chosen to be one of the good(ish) guys. I've spent a number of years in contexts where I was required to sleep with it locked, loaded, and in reach, though, and would have been punished had I not done so.

Now I just keep a slingshot and a handful of .54 caliber lead balls in reach and accept that I will be at a disadvantage if alien terrorists materialize in my room in the middle of the night.
I slept in a gun tub more than one night, but I'm asking about the "home defense" theory. Having a gun for defense is episodic if you don't have it instantly at hand. And if you have it instantly at hand and ready to use then it's more likely to kill someone in your home than deter an intruder.

Citation needed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2017, 12:09 PM
(03-06-2017 12:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 12:05 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I slept in a gun tub more than one night, but I'm asking about the "home defense" theory. Having a gun for defense is episodic if you don't have it instantly at hand. And if you have it instantly at hand and ready to use then it's more likely to kill someone in your home than deter an intruder.

Citation needed.

I'll send you my service record. Does your address accept freight?

(BTW, I don't care if you believe me or not, you don't matter to me.)
03-06-2017, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 12:17 PM by Heath_Tierney.)
Many years ago I took some defence training as I was travelling into some sketchy areas of the world. The training included, but was not limited to, operation of a firearm.

But the instructors, to a person (2 men and 1 woman) made it very clear: there's a certain order in which you follow in order to protect yourself and those in your care.

If faced with a threat (such as criminals or terrorists entering a building that you're in), in order:
  1. Run. Your first option is to just get the hell out. Run fast and far and get away as quickly as you can.
  2. Hide. If there's no way to get away, hide as best you can and wait until two or more police/security/forces personnel tell you otherwise
  3. Fight. The absolute last resort is to fight back.

You do NOT start by shooting back at the bad guys. When the police/soldiers show up, they have no way of knowing who's the bad guy and who's the victim, especially if everyone is shooting.

*edited to fix spelling & formatting*
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
03-06-2017, 12:13 PM
(03-06-2017 12:09 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 12:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Citation needed.

I'll send you my service record. Does your address accept freight?

(BTW, I don't care if you believe me or not, you don't matter to me.)

You won't back up what you say. Nice to know.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

03-06-2017, 12:15 PM
double post, sorry
03-06-2017, 12:20 PM
(03-06-2017 12:05 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 12:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Nah, but only because I live where it's illegal to do so and I've chosen to be one of the good(ish) guys. I've spent a number of years in contexts where I was required to sleep with it locked, loaded, and in reach, though, and would have been punished had I not done so.

In playing the numbers game, the fact that it is not practical to be armed at all times does not negate the benefit of being armed at other times.

If someone attacks me while I'm on the shitter I'm probably going to die. Such is life. And even being a gun nut, I don't currently have firearms in the house due to the fact that my girlfriend does not have an interest in them and doesn't want the kids taking an interest in them. Whether I agree or not, I respect her wishes. She's okay with me having a gun, but I'm not okay with untrained people in the house around the guns. Therefore, no guns. That and guns for defense are illegal in Canada, as is pepper spray and any other non firearm weapon kept solely for the purpose of self defense.

If I were still in the US and single, or raising them on my own, I probably would keep a firearm in reach at most times as I have in the past. The ones just imported from the US are stored out of the house and used only at the range.

As for what other people do and the consequences they face, that's not my concern. I'll do what I can to help people at the micro level, but beyond that I don't buy into the "life is precious" nonsense. The world is a violent place and we're mortal. That's neither good or bad, it's just a reality. I'm going to do what I feel best increase my chances, ideally within the scope of the law. The fact that other people do stupid shit and get themselves or their loved ones killed is beyond the scope of my limited empathy.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
03-06-2017, 12:21 PM
(03-06-2017 12:12 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Many years ago I took some defence training as I was travelling into some sketchy areas of the world. The training included, but was not limited to, operation of a firearm.

But the instructors, to a person (2 men and 1 woman) made it very clear: there's a certain order in which you follow in order to protect yourself and those in your care.

If faced with a threat (such as criminals or terrorists entering a building that you're in), in order:
  1. Run. Your first option is to just get the hell out. Run fast and far and get away as quickly as you can.
  2. Hide. If there's no way to get away, hide as best you can and wait until two or more police/security/forces personnel tell you otherwise

You do NOT start by shooting back at the bad guys. When the police/soldiers show up, they have no way of knowing who's the bad guy and who's the victim, especially if everyone is shooting.

If someone breaks in my house and I am upstairs...where shall I run to? There are three rooms up there.

If I hide in my house...where...the shower seems dangerous and if someone has broken in there's a good chance they are going to be looking around...like in closets and such.

Not everyone is physically able to fight.

Except for Gawdzilla of course...who can neutralize a threat with a bad look and his impressive service record.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-06-2017, 12:32 PM
(03-06-2017 12:12 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Many years ago I took some defence training as I was travelling into some sketchy areas of the world. The training included, but was not limited to, operation of a firearm.

And in your home there are only a few layers of drywall between you and the kids.
03-06-2017, 12:33 PM
(03-06-2017 12:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If someone breaks in my house and I am upstairs...where shall I run to? There are three rooms up there.

If I hide in my house...where...the shower seems dangerous and if someone has broken in there's a good chance they are going to be looking around...like in closets and such.

Not everyone is physically able to fight.

Except for Gawdzilla of course...who can neutralize a threat with a bad look and his impressive service record.

If someone breaks into your house while you're there, I imagine the first thing you do is to call the police and let them handle it.

Best bet is to not be broken into in the first place: good locks, good security lights (timers or motion detectors), all that basic stuff. Putting a "Security by Smith and Wesson" sticker on your window or door is telling burglars that you have weapons in the house, which are a prime theft target. May as well have a sign that reads, "Lots of jewelery in the upstairs closet."
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post