What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2017, 10:46 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(04-06-2017 10:43 AM)Twiggy Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 08:05 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  That's how 3 year olds end up dead with a bullet in their fucking heads. Seems like a steep price to pay.

Maybe, but freedom implies risk, which sometimes means bad things happen.

You cannot have a totally safe and risk-free world, and a free world at the same time. It's impossible.

So each of us are left to decide, what do we value more - a totally safe world with no freedom, or, a free world with risk involved?
What a weird concept, "My freedom is worth more than children's lives." Your freedom to keep a gun unsafely?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2017, 11:00 AM
(04-06-2017 10:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 10:43 AM)Twiggy Wrote:  Maybe, but freedom implies risk, which sometimes means bad things happen.

You cannot have a totally safe and risk-free world, and a free world at the same time. It's impossible.

So each of us are left to decide, what do we value more - a totally safe world with no freedom, or, a free world with risk involved?
What a weird concept, "My freedom is worth more than children's lives." Your freedom to keep a gun unsafely?

When did I ever say unsafely? I even said once a background check and safety course is passed.

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Twiggy's post
04-06-2017, 11:02 AM
(04-06-2017 10:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  What a weird concept, "My freedom is worth more than children's lives." Your freedom to keep a gun unsafely?

Nice straw man.
[Image: 5221c32c75cda9f71abefeb03b6a8a3d.jpg]
04-06-2017, 11:07 AM
(04-06-2017 11:00 AM)Twiggy Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 10:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  What a weird concept, "My freedom is worth more than children's lives." Your freedom to keep a gun unsafely?

When did I ever say unsafely? I even said once a background check and safety course is passed.

You keep your guns absolutely safe, then?

And safety courses don't impress me, I've seen too many bad ones.
04-06-2017, 11:10 AM
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I marvel at those people who think "guns are evil". I simply don't understand how someone can be so anthropomorphic as to assign "evil" to a chunk of steel.

Well, some automatic weapons were obviously designed to kill large numbers of people as quickly as possible. Outside of military applications, some might consider that evil embodied, like some consider nuclear bombs evil.

I don't own any guns myself, but don't mind others owning them. I sometimes wonder why they do, though. Perhaps they were raised with guns. Perhaps they are more fearful than I am. I don't know, and it likely depends on the individual. For instance, my brother-in-law in Texas has a gun collection and loves to create fireworks, so for him it's mostly about making loud noises.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
04-06-2017, 11:21 AM
(04-06-2017 11:07 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You keep your guns absolutely safe, then?

Your idea of gun safety is to have them locked up at a remote location.
04-06-2017, 11:25 AM
(04-06-2017 11:07 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 11:00 AM)Twiggy Wrote:  When did I ever say unsafely? I even said once a background check and safety course is passed.

You keep your guns absolutely safe, then?

Yes, I comply with all Canadian transport, storage, and display regulations.

"It says you have to be saved in order to go to heaven. The way I see it, you only have to be yourself to go to hell!" - Marilyn Manson, Copps Collesium, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. (1997)

Censored
[+] 2 users Like Twiggy's post
04-06-2017, 12:31 PM
(04-06-2017 11:21 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(04-06-2017 11:07 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You keep your guns absolutely safe, then?

Your idea of gun safety is to have them locked up at a remote location.

Exactly. Keeping them in the home where they can be easily accessed is stupid. I know you read the thread before posting so I don't have to resubmit that article about the number of innocents killed for every "bad guy" who dies, right?
04-06-2017, 12:32 PM
(04-06-2017 11:25 AM)Twiggy Wrote:  

Yes, I comply with all Canadian transport, storage, and display regulations.

And?
04-06-2017, 03:50 PM
(03-06-2017 07:37 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Going to come out of my 6 month TTA retirement to point out that those "facts" are cherry picked. It's a worthless stat...

Would you like to address each of these alleged "cherry-picked" statistics, and give us your interpretation of more statistically correct figures for each claim?

• In 2012, there were 8,855 criminal gun homicides in the FBI's homicide database, but only 258 gun killings by private citizens that were deemed justifiable.

• This works out to one justifiable gun death for every 34 unjustifiable gun deaths.

• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data shows that in 2012 there were 20,666 suicides by gun, which works out to one self-defense killing for every 78 gun suicides.

It's simply not sufficient for you to claim that these figures are not truly presentative of the makeup of gun deaths and/or factual—unless you supply verifiable, alternative figures of your own.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post