What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2017, 01:14 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(05-06-2017 01:12 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 01:02 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  And...I really wish that bikers would stay off the roads. It used to be the law that bikers were not allowed on roads that had a 60 (now 50) mph speed limit. Every year foolish bikers get killed or gravely injured because they believe they have protection because they have a right to bike on a narrow path (bike lane probably with a ditch on one side) beside vehicles traveling upwards of 40 mph. Just look at where you are riding for pity's sake! A slight miscalculation on the part of either driver and it is disaster. And...they often drag their children behind them in a carriage! I don't know what the statistics are, but it scares me half to death. I would never risk my own life or my child's life to ride a bike on a busy road.

I know this thread is about guns and not bikes, but no -- I absolutely will not "stay off the roads". Most of the places I go to on my bike (including my daily commute to work) are not accessible any other way than by roads, and when I ride recreationally, I get absolutely no recreation riding on sidewalks or bike paths. I tend to avoid highways and such, but "staying off the roads" completely is not a realistic option. The fact that there are inept drivers out there does not obligate everyone else to stay off the roads. When there's a problem, you don't run away from it, you fix it. And children are irrelevant here. I don't have any.
The false equivalence tactic has been thoroughly discredited anyway, but they keep trying it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2017, 01:15 PM
You are correct. I intend to remain defensive.

Did you mean to write "defensive" or did you mean to insult me? Being defensive is not an insult.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
05-06-2017, 01:16 PM
(05-06-2017 01:15 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  You are correct. I intend to remain defensive.

Did you mean to write "defensive" or did you mean to insult me? Being defensive is not an insult.
No, it's just a sign you have no proper response.
05-06-2017, 01:30 PM
(05-06-2017 01:14 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 01:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Not a chance. The right to ride my bicycle on the road is just like the basic rights that you are so concerned about, and I would no more give up that right than you would give up yours. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. A bicycle is a vehicle, with the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicles. Telling me to "take to the sidewalks" is the equivalent of me telling you to "stay out of your home" if you're worried about home invasions.
LOL
wow,
I was merily suggesting the common sense suggestion. Stay on the street and continue to take your chances with all the texting, dialing, eating distracted drivsrs, it's your Darwin given right.

Stay in your home and take your chances with all those home invaders. It's your Darwin-given right. This is as realistic as your suggestion to me.

You seem to be missing my point. I do the things I do (and will continue to do them) without obsessing over every little thing that could possibly go wrong. I'm not going to be scared off the roads because there are some bad drivers, any more than you should be scared out of your home by the (small) risk of "home invasions". I take reasonable precautions, but I'm not going to go cower in a corner somewhere because there are (gasp!) risks.
05-06-2017, 01:40 PM
(05-06-2017 01:16 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 01:15 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  You are correct. I intend to remain defensive.

No, it's just a sign you have no proper response.

A sign? Now you are looking for signs?

I thought you were the defense guru. Defensive is not your middle name?

05-06-2017, 01:43 PM
(05-06-2017 01:40 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 01:16 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  No, it's just a sign you have no proper response.

A sign? Now you are looking for signs?

I thought you were the defense guru. Defensive is not your middle name?

Trivial responses demonstrate my assertion nicely.
05-06-2017, 01:43 PM
(05-06-2017 01:30 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 01:14 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  LOL
wow,
I was merily suggesting the common sense suggestion. Stay on the street and continue to take your chances with all the texting, dialing, eating distracted drivsrs, it's your Darwin given right.

Stay in your home and take your chances with all those home invaders. It's your Darwin-given right. This is as realistic as your suggestion to me.

You seem to be missing my point. I do the things I do (and will continue to do them) without obsessing over every little thing that could possibly go wrong. I'm not going to be scared off the roads because there are some bad drivers, any more than you should be scared out of your home by the (small) risk of "home invasions". I take reasonable precautions, but I'm not going to go cower in a corner somewhere because there are (gasp!) risks.

Is this what you think gun owners are doing? LOL. We "take reasonable precautions" just as you say you do. Got that helmet on?

[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
05-06-2017, 01:45 PM
(05-06-2017 01:14 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 01:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Not a chance. The right to ride my bicycle on the road is just like the basic rights that you are so concerned about, and I would no more give up that right than you would give up yours. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. A bicycle is a vehicle, with the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicles. Telling me to "take to the sidewalks" is the equivalent of me telling you to "stay out of your home" if you're worried about home invasions.
LOL
wow,

Not to make a big point here but people should know that riding a bike on the sidewalk is actually illegal in most cities. Bicycles are meant to be on the roads with cars or on bike paths. I only wish that cyclists had to take a course on how to drive safely & learn the traffic laws that ALSO apply to them, and at least in Ottawa I wish the police would spend more time charging driver's and cyclists more often cause I've seen stupid shit out on the streets on both sides. (I got a ticket decades ago when I was 16, and the cop told me at that time that I can lose points on my driver's licence for breaking traffic laws on a bike same as if I was in a car.)

That should be the same with guns, wanting to get rid of them isn't going to happen. But there MUST be proper training requirements and more strict enforcement of the laws that already exist.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 3 users Like unsapien's post
05-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Oh Gawdzilla, you are the king of trivial responses. Helped pass a rainy afternoon and offered some restful interaction, however, so...thanks.

Catch you later.

[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
05-06-2017, 01:49 PM
In Indiana it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalks. In Missouri you can, but you have to follow rules for pedestrians. I drove over a lady in Indiana who thought she didn't have to cross a street safely or even look. She was hidden from my sight by a tree until she was six feet from the crosswalk, going at a good clip. They had to jack my truck off of her. Not very smart.