What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2017, 09:33 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
I spent a significant portion of my childhood in an isolated Alaskan fishing town surrounded by dense wilderness. It was not unheard of to have to chase a bear out of your house after being gone for a while (the vast majority lived there seasonally during the various commercial fishing seasons). And the moose were larger and aggressive than the bears. We lived in a completely different world than the urbanites. The idea of not being armed would have been laughable.

Part of the problem with living in such a diverse place, with environments ranging from downtown NYC (Rainbow Vomit ) to cabins out in the boonies (you know, places where life is actually enjoyable Big Grin ), is we either have to find laws that work for everyone, or we have to sit back and let culture take its course.

Armed or not, if I can't trust my neighbour it's not really a society. Just a bunch of fucked up people crammed together. And even in the middle of freaking Ottawa, I do not trust the people around me. Granted, working in a capital region detention centre and spending my average day associating with the serial killers, rapists, pedophiles, and gang bangers we like to pretend don't exist in good old Canada probably doesn't help my view. At least once per day someone promises me when they get out they're gonna kill me, rape my wife, blah blah blah etc. and I know it's all nonsense, but it doesn't make me think any higher of the fabric of society nonetheless. Nor does my background previous to coming here. At any rate, y'all are trying to convince me I should be concerned with micro statistics in regards to squeezing every last minute out of the average lifespan. I'm still trying to convince myself that civilization as a whole is worth hanging onto.

I obviously don't speak for everyone on either side of this debate, but for me the warrior mentality is the only one that's ever provided any sense of being I can accept. I practice martial arts, I shoot, I study squad tactics, and I run drills for every situation my paranoid mind can come up with, and I secretly (okay not so secretly) hope for an earth shattering natural or unnatural disaster to break the monotony. Your best case scenarios offer a world that is so boring and pointless that even as murder rates fall... Well, suicide rates and dependence on anti depression drugs just to get through the day are a different story. We're trying to convince ourselves we've reached some period of enlightenment, while the average person can't even make it through their day without chemical assistance.

If the world ever reaches a point where we aren't just a bunch of irrational people who can't get along, then the gun debate will be irrelevant. Until then, the problems potentially solved by a move in either direction are, at best, a drop in the bucket.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
06-06-2017, 09:59 AM
(06-06-2017 09:33 AM)yakherder Wrote:  If the world ever reaches a point where we aren't just a bunch of irrational people who can't get along, then the gun debate will be irrelevant. Until then, the problems potentially solved by a move in either direction are, at best, a drop in the bucket.

Sorry? Reducing gun deaths won't solve anything?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2017, 10:21 AM
(06-06-2017 09:33 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Armed or not, if I can't trust my neighbour it's not really a society. Just a bunch of fucked up people crammed together.

This is the problem in most metropolitan/urban/suburban areas.

its like people only have so much energy to put into their own lives they've got nothing left. They're interested only in what someone else can do for them. We've become a society of people who live inside their own bubble.

This is why when there is a disaster the media reports about people helping others and everyone seems blown away by the selfless acts of a few. We'll get the whole "I'm proud of my community/city/whatever" which is great, but it shows that only happens when their bubble bursts, eventually it reforms and they go back to not caring.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Lets not dismiss or miss the benefits that an armed populous provides. Without a doubt, our shores have never been, and possibly never will be invaded by ground troops.

You have to be odd to be #1.
06-06-2017, 10:36 AM
(06-06-2017 10:33 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  Lets not dismiss or miss the benefits that an armed populous provides. Without a doubt, our shores have never been, and possibly never will be invaded by ground troops.

An armed rabble is seldom a deterrent.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-06-2017, 10:43 AM
(06-06-2017 10:33 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  Lets not dismiss or miss the benefits that an armed populous provides. Without a doubt, our shores have never been, and possibly never will be invaded by ground troops.

Right now the armed populace (not populous) are mostly busy shooting each other. In the event of an invasion, that's why we have an army, navy, etc. National defense by an armed populace stopped being realistic a long time ago.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
06-06-2017, 10:43 AM
(06-06-2017 10:36 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  

An armed rabble is seldom a deterrent.

Yep,
Till they start shooting back.

You have to be odd to be #1.
06-06-2017, 10:46 AM
(06-06-2017 10:43 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
(06-06-2017 10:36 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  An armed rabble is seldom a deterrent.

Yep,

Remember that "occupation" in Oregon? Total fail.

A bunch of fat drunks with guns wouldn't be much in the way of problem for an invading army. Putting F350 Compensators up against T-72 tanks would be hilarious to watch, however.
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
06-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Yep,

Nope, we know for a fact that does not happen. Gun owners think they are action stars but in reality when bullets start flying they tend to panic and freeze or flee. See the incident in Dallas.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
06-06-2017, 10:50 AM

Yep,

What keeps the US safe from invasion is its unrivaled military deterrent. You need more than just people with guns to stop a modern invasion force.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post