What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
I'm out of this thread. Everyone else is welcome to the madness.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
07-06-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(07-06-2017 08:41 AM)KUSA Wrote:  You are anti gun as it relates to self defense.

I would tend to agree with this position. Owning a gun isn't an issue. If you are capable of handling this responsablity and have good working knowledge of this weapon, you shoud be allowed to have one (or several). That being said, I don't think that guns should be sold and maketed primarly as ''self defense'' tools. Can they be used in a situation of self defense? Yes, they can, but it's pretty situational. We could say the same thing from knives, baseball bat, hockey stick, a shovel, a hammer, a few classes of martial arts, etc. All these things can and have been used efficently in a self defense scenario, but they shoud never be marketed (especially not primarly) as a self defense tool.

Using a gun in self defense is a big decision. To be a legitimate self defense move, you must be convinced your life is in immediate danger, that you cannot flee (unless there is a Stand Your Groud law in your area) and that all attempt at de-escalating the conflict have failed. Considering this, using a gun in self defense in a legitimate fashion is pretty hard. Thus, selling them primarly as ''self defense'' tools is inviting people to be more careless with them. Giving a bog macho vibe to those adds, which happens from time to time, is also a bit pernitious, you are selling something incredibly dangerous. It should be treated with more respect. It gives a bad image of what a gun really is, a very deadly weapon that must be used only in last resort.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
07-06-2017, 10:35 AM
(07-06-2017 10:29 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 10:13 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Would "I'd kick anybody's ass in a fight" make you happier?

Yes it does although its a huge claim to make. But definitely better than slaughtering, even killing is a better word than slaughtering which has certain connotations Imo.
When you're pumping up to 192 pounds of lead a minute into the air with a pair of guns that can kill at four miles slaughter is the appropriate term. But, with regard to this situation may I ask if anyone has ever literally kicked your ass at chess? Consider
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2017, 10:37 AM
(07-06-2017 10:31 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I'm out of this thread. Everyone else is welcome to the madness.

Its definitely toxic mate so I don't blame you but then most gun threads on here are to a greater or lesser extent. Perhaps future gun threads need stricter controls on behaviour like the PI/S section.
07-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Quote:an untrained civilian carrying around a loaded weapon in one's home or on a street because they suffer from the delusion that carrying a weapon makes them safer.

I just find your conclusion is simply incorrect.
There is no delusion to that our streets and shopping areas are crime ridden.

Like having a spare tire and tool bag in my trunk, I'm sufficiently prepared to deal with any (elevation) of situation, lets say if my necklace or watch catches the wrong guys' eye.

So, not safer, but prepard for the worse (that could possibly even turn out to be life threatening.)

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 3 users Like BackSlider's post
07-06-2017, 10:44 AM
(07-06-2017 10:35 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 10:29 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Yes it does although its a huge claim to make. But definitely better than slaughtering, even killing is a better word than slaughtering which has certain connotations Imo.
When you're pumping up to 192 pounds of lead a minute into the air with a pair of guns that can kill at four miles slaughter is the appropriate term. But, with regard to this situation may I ask if anyone has ever literally kicked your ass at chess? Consider
I don't play chess, don't know how either. Kick ass or kill just sounds less psycho when related to occasions when it might be necessary to take human life in a war, there's a huge difference between saying I slaughtered that guy at chess and I slaughtered X number of people with twin 50 cal machine guns, both might be accurate but a professional soldier owes it to himself his buddies and his country to be somewhat circumspect in how he describes his actions in public Imo.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
07-06-2017, 10:46 AM
(07-06-2017 10:44 AM)BackSlider Wrote:  
Quote:an untrained civilian carrying around a loaded weapon in one's home or on a street because they suffer from the delusion that carrying a weapon makes them safer.

I just find your conclusion is simply incorrect.
There is no delusion to that our streets and shopping areas are crime ridden.

Like having a spare tire and tool bag in my trunk, I'm sufficiently prepared to deal with any (elevation) of situation, lets say if my necklace or watch catches the wrong guys' eye.

So, not safer, but prepard for the worse (that could possibly even turn out to be life threatening.)
Are you under the impression that more guns make things better?
07-06-2017, 10:47 AM
(07-06-2017 10:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 10:35 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  When you're pumping up to 192 pounds of lead a minute into the air with a pair of guns that can kill at four miles slaughter is the appropriate term. But, with regard to this situation may I ask if anyone has ever literally kicked your ass at chess? Consider
I don't play chess, don't know how either. Kick ass or kill just sounds less psycho when related to occasions when it might be necessary to take human life in a war, there's a huge difference between saying I slaughtered that guy at chess and I slaughtered X number of people with twin 50 cal machine guns, both might be accurate but a professional soldier owes it to himself his buddies and his country to be somewhat circumspect in how he describes his actions in public Imo.
I won't self-censor. If that distresses anyone I advise them to put me on ignore NOW.
07-06-2017, 10:52 AM
(07-06-2017 10:47 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 10:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I don't play chess, don't know how either. Kick ass or kill just sounds less psycho when related to occasions when it might be necessary to take human life in a war, there's a huge difference between saying I slaughtered that guy at chess and I slaughtered X number of people with twin 50 cal machine guns, both might be accurate but a professional soldier owes it to himself his buddies and his country to be somewhat circumspect in how he describes his actions in public Imo.
I won't self-censor. If that distresses anyone I advise them to put me on ignore NOW.
I'm not going to do that because I don't dislike you and I agree with some of your points, there really is no need to be so defensive and angry at me we are having a discussion and on some points we disagree that's all.
07-06-2017, 10:58 AM
(07-06-2017 10:52 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 10:47 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I won't self-censor. If that distresses anyone I advise them to put me on ignore NOW.
I'm not going to do that because I don't dislike you and I agree with some of your points, there really is no need to be so defensive and angry at me we are having a discussion and on some points we disagree that's all.

See? I was neither defensive nor angry, but you chose to read my post that way. I have no control over that.