What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 03:48 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
[Quote ]
It makes no difference to me whether or not you carry a gun. My issue is with those who claim that you "need" to do so in order to be safe, and that anyone who doesn't is a fool. You may not have made that claim (to paraphrase Dirty Harry, "in all the confusion, I can't remember"), but it has been made in this thread. That mentality is what I'm arguing against. In particular, those who feel unsafe in their own home unless they have a gun need to find a new home, in my opinion. I feel as safe at home as I do anywhere, and that's pretty safe. And that's without any guns.
[/quote]

If you don't care, that is a good thing till you have to vote one way or the other. Then where are you?

Love Dirty Harry explanation. That wasn't me.
I do keep a spare in the trunk. I don't feel safer against getting a flat, but I do carry a confidence if needed, I'm prepared.
That's it for me.

You have to be odd to be #1.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2017, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 03:57 PM by BackSlider.)
Perhaps On Line Biker should start a thread:"Whats Your Opinion of "No Gun" Owners?
(Did he go in vacation? )

07-06-2017, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 04:17 PM by Grasshopper.)
(07-06-2017 03:48 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  
Quote:It makes no difference to me whether or not you carry a gun. My issue is with those who claim that you "need" to do so in order to be safe, and that anyone who doesn't is a fool. You may not have made that claim (to paraphrase Dirty Harry, "in all the confusion, I can't remember"), but it has been made in this thread. That mentality is what I'm arguing against. In particular, those who feel unsafe in their own home unless they have a gun need to find a new home, in my opinion. I feel as safe at home as I do anywhere, and that's pretty safe. And that's without any guns.

If you don't care, that is a good thing till you have to vote one way or the other. Then where are you?

How would I vote? For starters, I would not vote to ban or outlaw guns. That's going way too far, in my opinion. But I would vote in favor of reasonable restrictions. I would be in favor of handling it much like we do driving. Those who want to own and/or carry guns should be required to demonstrate that they are familiar with proper operation (including safety precautions) of said guns. High-risk people (e.g., those with certain mental illnesses or certain types of criminal records) would not be allowed to own/carry. There would be reasonable restrictions on what kinds of guns you could own (does any private citizen need a bazooka or a rocket launcher?), and on how many (does any private citizen need an arsenal of hundreds of guns? If so, I'd be worried about what they plan to do with them). And that sort of thing. Of course, the NRA and the politicians they have in their pockets are dead set against any and all restrictions. There's got to be a reasonable middle ground between "Nobody can have any guns" and "Anyone and everyone can have as many guns (of any type) as they want, whether or not they know how to use them". That middle ground is where I stand.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
07-06-2017, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2017 04:30 PM by BackSlider.)

[/quote]

How would I vote? For starters, I would not vote to ban or outlaw guns. That's going way too far, in my opinion. But I would vote in favor of reasonable restrictions. I would be in favor of handling it much like we do driving. Those who want to own and/or carry guns should be required to demonstrate that they are familiar with proper operation (including safety precautions) of said guns. High-risk people (e.g., those with certain mental illnesses or certain types of criminal records) would not be allowed to own/carry. There would be reasonable restrictions on what kinds of guns you could own (does any private citizen need a bazooka or a rocket launcher?), and on how many (does any private citizen need an arsenal of hundreds of guns? If so, I'd be worried about what they plan to do with them). And that sort of thing. Of course, the NRA and the politicians they have in their pockets are dead set against any and all restrictions. There's got to be a reasonable middle ground between "Nobody can have any guns" and "Anyone and everyone can have as many guns (of any type) as they want, whether or not they know how to use them". That middle ground is where I
[/quote]
The big deal is rarely ever can the gov-ment gain a conditional restriction without later expanding on it. The government probably coined the pre verbable "camel's nose under the tent" syndrome/ situation.
Uncle Sam is PROVEN AS JUST NOT A TRUSTWORTHY ENTITY with even a smidgen of wiggle room.

That is the checkmate for we who would agree with even portions of your "position".

07-06-2017, 04:32 PM
(07-06-2017 03:51 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  Perhaps On Line Biker should start a thread:"Whats Your Opinion of "No Gun" Owners?

He's currently offline biker Wink

...Sorry had to Hobo Hope he's okay!
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
07-06-2017, 04:34 PM
(07-06-2017 04:32 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 03:51 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  Perhaps On Line Biker should start a thread:"Whats Your Opinion of "No Gun" Owners?

He's currently offline biker Wink

...Sorry had to Hobo Hope he's okay!

Perfect!

[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post
07-06-2017, 04:35 PM
(07-06-2017 11:06 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 10:58 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  See? I was neither defensive nor angry, but you chose to read my post that way. I have no control over that.

I'm out, generally you are a good guy mate but at the moment you definitely have the red mist up and I cannot have a productive discourse with someone who has the old red mist will not concede points or even seems capable at the moment of being able to appreciate other view points. Wether you mean to or not you are currently coming across as someone who is right because they say so. I'm sorry because I think you are an ok guy, hopefully we will meet again but under less stressful circumstances.
Sorry you are so presumptive.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2017, 07:42 AM
(07-06-2017 12:57 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  What's important is that I will be better equipped to deal with a life threatening crime against me & mine than most of you...

Not so; that's nothing more than a personal opinion.

Dr Arthur L. Kellerman, MD, MPH, FACEP, founder of Emory University's Department of Emergency Medicine, who spent years as an emergency room doctor, says that people who keep guns in the home are more likely to be victims of homicide than those who don't. He points out that there is a better chance that the gun meant for protection will be used in domestic violence, suicide, or to injure a child.

"Believe me when I tell you this. The victims are not the bad guys. It's usually someone that the owner of the gun cares about," he said. "My research showed that a gun owner was 43 times more likely to shoot and kill a family member than that he'd shoot and kill anybody else."
James E. Causey, Journal Sentinel, 18 May 2013

Another obvious comparison is Australia with its strict firearm laws, and zero carrying licenses, and the US with its slack firearms ownership and carry laws. America has more than four times the gun homicide death rate than that of Australia.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
08-06-2017, 08:38 AM
(08-06-2017 07:42 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 12:57 PM)BackSlider Wrote:  What's important is that I will be better equipped to deal with a life threatening crime against me & mine than most of you...

Not so; that's nothing more than a personal opinion.

Dr Arthur L. Kellerman, MD, MPH, FACEP, founder of Emory University's Department of Emergency Medicine, who spent years as an emergency room doctor, says that people who keep guns in the home are more likely to be victims of homicide than those who don't. He points out that there is a better chance that the gun meant for protection will be used in domestic violence, suicide, or to injure a child.

"Believe me when I tell you this. The victims are not the bad guys. It's usually someone that the owner of the gun cares about," he said. "My research showed that a gun owner was 43 times more likely to shoot and kill a family member than that he'd shoot and kill anybody else."
James E. Causey, Journal Sentinel, 18 May 2013

Another obvious comparison is Australia with its strict firearm laws, and zero carrying licenses, and the US with its slack firearms ownership and carry laws. America has more than four times the gun homicide death rate than that of Australia.

The bullshit here???

The murder rate for Australians was about 1/4 that of the USA BEFORE they outlawed guns...

But shit, it SOUNDS good from a banning point of view, huh???

The truth of the matter??? Some Americans LIKE killing people..... The guns just keep blood off the shooters shoes......

Banning guns is just easier than fixing broken human beings.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
08-06-2017, 08:50 AM
(08-06-2017 08:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The bullshit here???

The murder rate for Australians was about 1/4 that of the USA BEFORE they outlawed guns...

But shit, it SOUNDS good from a banning point of view, huh???

The truth of the matter??? Some Americans LIKE killing people..... The guns just keep blood off the shooters shoes......

Banning guns is just easier than fixing broken human beings.....

That is a huge part of it, isn't it?

Glad to see you. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces