What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2015, 07:42 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(29-01-2015 12:49 AM)bemore Wrote:  If your allowed to carry guns around for protection then i dont see why you should not be allowed other items as well.

If i can be trusted to walk around for years with two handgrenades in my pocket, that at weekends i practise throwing, why should i not be allowed them as i would only use them in self defense.

Or big massive sharp machettes....

Take it up with your MP.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2015, 07:43 AM
(28-01-2015 10:16 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  When we say "gun owners," just what are we talking about? Somebody that owns guns for the purpose of self-defense or to occasionally take it to the shooting range for fun or to decompress? Fine by me, I don't have any qualms with that.

Or are we talking about those lunatics that own 50 guns, give each their own name, and dedicated entire sections of the family photo album to them? If Big Bertha the 12-Gauge gets your rocks off when you take her out on a date to the firing range, then I'm not going to tell you to do otherwise, but I'll still think you're a fucking weirdo. And no, believe me, the LAST thing the government wants to do is get involved in the personal relationship between you and your dozens of penis extensions.

I know a fair number of gun owners and none come even close to your frenzied description.
What is your actual point?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2015, 07:57 AM
I've heard that "penis extension" theory applied to guns, cars and motorcycles.

But, never once have I walked about with a Buick stuffed down my shorts.

I just don't see the point....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
29-01-2015, 09:25 AM
I am a gun-owner from Oklahoma (who doesn't own guns in OK? Lol), and I was brought up in a far right family. However, since I've realized that the "Murica!!" attitude is fucking retarded, I am pretty far left now, and although I think we should be able to own guns, they do need to have better regulation. Little side note: my family is completely accepting of me as an atheist now, but if I were to come out as a "libtard", as they call it, I'd be disowned... Lol
29-01-2015, 11:31 AM
(29-01-2015 12:49 AM)bemore Wrote:  If your allowed to carry guns around for protection then i dont see why you should not be allowed other items as well.

If i can be trusted to walk around for years with two handgrenades in my pocket, that at weekends i practise throwing, why should i not be allowed them as i would only use them in self defense.

Or big massive sharp machettes....

If that is the case, I want to carry a sword around for self-defense.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
29-01-2015, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2015 12:52 PM by Mr. Boston.)
I'm a believer in the right to bear arms but I think the culture that's grown up around it is juvenile. I don't understand the compulsion or what causes one to become a gun person. But then, I'm a guitar player and love collecting guitars. Lots of people don't understand my zeal for the hobby since I'm not a touring musician making a living with the guitar. I think guitar-playing culture is pretty juvenile too, I'm the first to admit I don't have much in common with most guitar players, lol. I guess the difference is that when someone robs a guitar-owner's house and his guitars find their way onto the street, innocent people don't tend to die from it. Guitars falling into the wrong hands only really results in the creation of guitar-shredding Youtube videos which are easy enough to avoid.

I don't believe I have anything to fear from a responsible gun owner, but I also think the incredible demand for guns drives the supply, the end result of which is that urban areas are infested with guns that were built for responsible gun owners but wound up being used by other people.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
29-01-2015, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2015 06:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
What's my opinion of gunowners? Some of them fucking are fucking hilarious.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-01-2015, 06:52 PM
(28-01-2015 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 08:07 PM)BnW Wrote:  Chas

So, you imply that far fewer lives are accidentally lost to guns than are saved,
and provide no citation to back that up.

I didn't imply that. I suggested we do a comparison.

I feel pretty confident that everyone who read your comment inferred that your point was that more people are saved by guns than accidentally are killed by them. I also suspect that is exactly what you meant to imply.

(28-01-2015 08:07 PM)BnW Wrote:  When challenged, you provide 2 anecdotes, without even linking the source. Because that proves ..... what exactly?

No, I supplied 3 news items with attestations. It shows that guns are used to prevent crimes and save lives quite often.

Yes, it was 3 and not 2. My mistake. Secondly, 3 incidents is not "quite often". Third, there is no way of knowing how those incidents would turn out without guns.

That said, I never claimed, or even implied, that there was never an instance when guns don't save lives. There are absolutely instances where having a gun in the home saved someone's life, and there are instances where not having a gun in the house may have cost someone their lives. Two examples that come to mind are that horror show in Connecticut a few years ago where a group of deranged psychos forced their way into a doctors house and raped and killed his wife and daughters and the murder of former Redskin Sean Taylor who was murdered by people who broke into his home. It happens. I admit it. But, I seriously question the number of times it happens.

(28-01-2015 08:07 PM)BnW Wrote:  You claim a number of accidental gun deaths per a year, also without s citation.

Do you even Google?

Anti-gun site: In 2010, unintentional firearm injuries caused the deaths of 606 people.

pro-gun site: Gun Facts

The CDC numbers did not break them down. I looked for the murder numbers and I specifically stated the numbers were all gun deaths and looked up the murder rates. I didn't consider how high the suicide rate would be. 600 - 800 seemed low and 19,000 deaths by suicide seemed awfully high to me. But, I can't argue with the details you provided, so fair enough. It's 600 - 800. Imagine my surprise.

(28-01-2015 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have not even tried to have an informative discussion.

I'm pretty sure I have. You may not like the message but I have absolutely tried to have an informative discussion here. I'm not the one who kept throwing stuff out without including any citations. Yes, I overstated the CDC numbers because I didn't see the suicide numbers, but I acknowledged up front it included all gun deaths. If that's not trying to have an informed discussions, than one of us doesn't know what that means.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
29-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Oh, I never answered the OP question:

What is my opinion of gun owners? I guess it depends on the gun owner. Some are great people. Some are total dicks. Most fall in between those two categories, along with the rest of humanity.

I guess I don't understand the question. I never understand this need to pick an issue and then "brand" people with some label based on one thing. Take Chas here - he and I probably disagree on this issue completely and never will come to any kind of accord, but that doesn't mean we don't see eye to eye on a whole bunch of other issues and probably life in general. This need to pick specific issues and divide people up into "us" and "them" just completely baffles me.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
29-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Where I live, guns are as common as bread. Everyone has them. If you need help, you shoot your gun in the air and the neighbors show up to see whazzup.

But then we also have cougars and bears and whatnot out here. You need a gun.

Guns are tools, and they are collector's items. They are a necessity to some, a security feature for others, and investment for yet others. They also provide the citizenship with a means to defend themselves against a rogue government or an invasion.

So now you have advocates for guns from many walks of life and many different interests. That is why they are here to stay.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post