What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2015, 07:28 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  This thread will have to be primarily for those in the US - as most countries gun laws are so strict as to prevent the "average Joe" from gun ownership.
I'm not of the US, but I have used guns, have owned a gun license and have opinions so I'll offer mine, for what they are worth.
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What is your opinion of gun ownership?
Very open ended question.
In my opinion if a person possesses a gun and no-one else has a current and relevant claim to that gun then this possessor has ownership of that gun.
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I am a gun owner. I grew up around guns, and have always considered them to be something that every person should have at least a basic working understanding of.
I'm quite happy with people choosing to have no understanding or experience with guns. They aren't essential.
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I have a concealed carry permit - and have carried a gun daily since 2001 - without an incident.
I think concealable guns are a very useful tool for people who want to take things from other people.
(26-01-2015 05:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I marvel at those people who think "guns are evil". I simply don't understand how someone can be so anthropomorphic as to assign "evil" to a chunk of steel.
Of course guns aren't evil, however they can make it easier for some people to kill other people or to rob other people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2015, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2015 07:52 PM by Chas.)
(29-01-2015 06:52 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't imply that. I suggested we do a comparison.

I feel pretty confident that everyone who read your comment inferred that your point was that more people are saved by guns than accidentally are killed by them. I also suspect that is exactly what you meant to imply.

It wasn't. There are no official statistics of that.

And you should know by now that I rarely imply anything, except humorously.

Quote:
(28-01-2015 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, I supplied 3 news items with attestations. It shows that guns are used to prevent crimes and save lives quite often.

Yes, it was 3 and not 2. My mistake. Secondly, 3 incidents is not "quite often".

That's 3 incidents in one week that made it into the news. That's pretty often.

Quote:Third, there is no way of knowing how those incidents would turn out without guns.

As your examples below attest, we can make pretty good guesses.

Quote:That said, I never claimed, or even implied, that there was never an instance when guns don't save lives. There are absolutely instances where having a gun in the home saved someone's life, and there are instances where not having a gun in the house may have cost someone their lives. Two examples that come to mind are that horror show in Connecticut a few years ago where a group of deranged psychos forced their way into a doctors house and raped and killed his wife and daughters and the murder of former Redskin Sean Taylor who was murdered by people who broke into his home. It happens. I admit it. But, I seriously question the number of times it happens.

(28-01-2015 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you even Google?

Anti-gun site: In 2010, unintentional firearm injuries caused the deaths of 606 people.

pro-gun site: Gun Facts

The CDC numbers did not break them down. I looked for the murder numbers and I specifically stated the numbers were all gun deaths and looked up the murder rates. I didn't consider how high the suicide rate would be. 600 - 800 seemed low and 19,000 deaths by suicide seemed awfully high to me. But, I can't argue with the details you provided, so fair enough. It's 600 - 800. Imagine my surprise.

(28-01-2015 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  You have not even tried to have an informative discussion.

I'm pretty sure I have. You may not like the message but I have absolutely tried to have an informative discussion here. I'm not the one who kept throwing stuff out without including any citations. Yes, I overstated the CDC numbers because I didn't see the suicide numbers, but I acknowledged up front it included all gun deaths. If that's not trying to have an informed discussions, than one of us doesn't know what that means.

Not breaking down the causes is not useful.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2015, 09:15 PM
(29-01-2015 07:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-01-2015 10:16 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  When we say "gun owners," just what are we talking about? Somebody that owns guns for the purpose of self-defense or to occasionally take it to the shooting range for fun or to decompress? Fine by me, I don't have any qualms with that.

Or are we talking about those lunatics that own 50 guns, give each their own name, and dedicated entire sections of the family photo album to them? If Big Bertha the 12-Gauge gets your rocks off when you take her out on a date to the firing range, then I'm not going to tell you to do otherwise, but I'll still think you're a fucking weirdo. And no, believe me, the LAST thing the government wants to do is get involved in the personal relationship between you and your dozens of penis extensions.

I know a fair number of gun owners and none come even close to your frenzied description.
What is your actual point?

Well it obviously wasn't meant to be an actually accurate description.

The point was to share my opinion on gun owners as per the thread's request. No I don't actually think most gun owners are like that, but the stereotype does exist, and it was more entertaining for me to share my opinion on those type of gun nuts than it was on your average gun owner. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
30-01-2015, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2015 03:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
I am far more worried about your average Calvinist than your average gun owner. Those fuckers take their Onward Christian Soldiers seriously.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
30-01-2015, 03:49 PM
(30-01-2015 03:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am far more worried about your average Calvinist than your average gun owner. Those fuckers take their Onward Christian Soldiers seriously.

Damn they sound like little slaves.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
30-01-2015, 04:33 PM
shouldn't they be goosestepping????

Huh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
30-01-2015, 04:45 PM
(30-01-2015 03:49 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 03:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I am far more worried about your average Calvinist than your average gun owner. Those fuckers take their Onward Christian Soldiers seriously.

Damn they sound like little slaves.

Not slaves, robots. Predestination and all that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-01-2015, 04:55 PM
(30-01-2015 04:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 03:49 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Damn they sound like little slaves.

Not slaves, robots. Predestination and all that.

Isn't a robot a metal slave?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
02-02-2015, 07:15 PM
(27-01-2015 11:19 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  As a convicted felon, I am acutely aware of the of disparity it is to NOT be able to protect myself and my family with a firearm. That being the case, I still have one. Let that sink in a bit Yes

"Breaking the law...breaking the law" -Judas Priest

And furthermore, even first world citizens have the obligation to fight off corrupt officials such as the account in the battle of Athens Tennessee. A long time ago but still relevant to a lot of small towns in our country.

Um...now I'm curious. What did you do?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
02-02-2015, 07:29 PM
(29-01-2015 12:49 AM)bemore Wrote:  If your allowed to carry guns around for protection then i dont see why you should not be allowed other items as well.

If i can be trusted to walk around for years with two handgrenades in my pocket, that at weekends i practise throwing, why should i not be allowed them as i would only use them in self defense.

Or big massive sharp machettes....

What kind of ridiculous rhetoric is this, Ya schizo :-)

I do think people should be able to carry around more weapons. Like collapsible batons, etc. I run with a knife, but that's only because running with my Kahr p9 chafes like crazy. Ruger SR. 22 doesn't run well either. Plus I imprint with both guns because my running clothes are tight.

I've had a gun for awhile now. No incidents and I consider owning a gun similar to owning a fire extinguisher. You hope you never need to use it, but when you do, you're glad you have it.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson