What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(14-06-2017 12:34 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 12:33 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Bullshit.

Why does the suspect have to die do be considered a successful use in self defense? Even in police and security work, the presence of a gun defuses 99.9% of all situations.

And the dead people don't count?

I love how the far right worshipers keep harping on the fact that police and security have weapons. NO SHIT, but what they do have that laypeople DONT have is CONSTANT muscle stress conflict training.

Guns by themselves DONT defuse a situation, training does, and they know, but wont admit because of that training, most of the time those cops and security DONT fire their weapon.

Guns don't mean shit if there are no brains behind them.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2017, 03:41 PM
(14-06-2017 03:34 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 12:34 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And the dead people don't count?

I love how the far right worshipers keep harping on the fact that police and security have weapons. NO SHIT, but what they do have that laypeople DONT have is CONSTANT muscle stress conflict training.

Guns by themselves DONT defuse a situation, training does, and they know, but wont admit because of that training, most of the time those cops and security DONT fire their weapon.

Guns don't mean shit if there are no brains behind them.
Ever shot with cops??????

I'm betting not.

Your fairy tale about "constant training" for law enforcement is in direct violation of the laws of fiscal supply, political priorities, and reality in general.....

The merry band of gun nuts I shoot with almost always outshoot our friends in law enforcement....

That's OK though, we still encourage them to excel....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
14-06-2017, 03:42 PM
If guns were such a deterrent then we should expect to see no gun violence at all. Objects don't stop people from violence, attitudes and training do.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2017, 03:49 PM
(14-06-2017 03:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 12:53 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  This is comedy gold: LDH is being told that he is being played by his fear, and LDH replies by how scared he is. Laugh out load

A guy with a gun is fearful???

Thats a bit less than logical...

Logic dictates that the unarmed will be pissing themselves in a hostile situation...

Some are so delusional as to think they can " handle themselves," unarmed, when confronted by an attacker........

Unless that means grabbing themselves trying to pinch off the stream of urine....

I suppose you could say that's "handling yourself"....

Hardly seems an appropriate response to me.....

You and LDH are both missing the point: the likelihood of a "hostile situation" is extremely small for most people. I've never encountered such a situation in my entire life (62 years and counting). I'd be pissing myself if I got attacked by a grizzly bear, too, but I don't carry bear spray with me at all times. Nor do I sleep with a fire extinguisher next to my bed, as someone else mentioned. Thinking that you're not "safe" unless you're armed is letting fear control you.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
14-06-2017, 03:52 PM
(14-06-2017 03:42 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  If guns were such a deterrent then we should expect to see no gun violence at all. Objects don't stop people from violence, attitudes and training do.

Stupid statement of the year there bucko....

Simply compare the level of gun violence in American high schools, ( where guns are prohibited) and gun shows ( where the guns outnumber the people 20 to 1)

How many gun shows have you seen shot up??????

None?????

Gee ..... Imagine that...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-06-2017, 04:03 PM
(14-06-2017 03:52 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:42 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  If guns were such a deterrent then we should expect to see no gun violence at all. Objects don't stop people from violence, attitudes and training do.

Stupid statement of the year there bucko....

Simply compare the level of gun violence in American high schools, ( where guns are prohibited) and gun shows ( where the guns outnumber the people 20 to 1)

How many gun shows have you seen shot up??????

None?????

Gee ..... Imagine that...

That is absurd. By that logic. we need more cars on the highways to make them safer. Because car dealerships have lots of them and they are safer than highways. I think it's safe to say most people purchase things in order to use them in a different location.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
14-06-2017, 04:19 PM
(14-06-2017 03:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A guy with a gun is fearful???

Thats a bit less than logical...

Logic dictates that the unarmed will be pissing themselves in a hostile situation...

Some are so delusional as to think they can " handle themselves," unarmed, when confronted by an attacker........

Unless that means grabbing themselves trying to pinch off the stream of urine....

I suppose you could say that's "handling yourself"....

Hardly seems an appropriate response to me.....

You and LDH are both missing the point: the likelihood of a "hostile situation" is extremely small for most people. I've never encountered such a situation in my entire life (62 years and counting). I'd be pissing myself if I got attacked by a grizzly bear, too, but I don't carry bear spray with me at all times. Nor do I sleep with a fire extinguisher next to my bed, as someone else mentioned. Thinking that you're not "safe" unless you're armed is letting fear control you.

I'm not sure how unlikely it is that most people won't face hostile situations. It probably varies based on location and (possibly?) gender. When I was a single woman, living by myself in Chicago--without a car, so I went everywhere by foot, bike, or public transportation--I had a stalker who came after me with a gun, and I had a crazy guy try to throw me into traffic, among other things. I taught aerobics at the Cabrini Green YMCA and I rode the bus to get there (Cabrini Green was considered to be a fairly dangerous area).

However, I never felt that my having a gun would have been helpful in those situations. Fast feet and the ability to yell loudly worked for me. I've never owned or carried a gun. While I've been very scared sometimes, I've never felt the pervasive dread that requires I be armed everywhere I go. It must be awful to be so fearful all the time.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
14-06-2017, 04:21 PM
(14-06-2017 04:03 PM)tomilay Wrote:  That is absurd. By that logic. we need more cars on the highways to make them safer. Because car dealerships have lots of them and they are safer than highways. I think it's safe to say most people purchase things in order to use them in a different location.

Mass shootings take place in "gun-free" zones. At gun shows, where many people are armed, you don't see mass shootings. Happy coincidence?
[+] 3 users Like TheBear's post
14-06-2017, 04:26 PM
(14-06-2017 04:19 PM)julep Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You and LDH are both missing the point: the likelihood of a "hostile situation" is extremely small for most people. I've never encountered such a situation in my entire life (62 years and counting). I'd be pissing myself if I got attacked by a grizzly bear, too, but I don't carry bear spray with me at all times. Nor do I sleep with a fire extinguisher next to my bed, as someone else mentioned. Thinking that you're not "safe" unless you're armed is letting fear control you.

I'm not sure how unlikely it is that most people won't face hostile situations. It probably varies based on location and (possibly?) gender. When I was a single woman, living by myself in Chicago--without a car, so I went everywhere by foot, bike, or public transportation--I had a stalker who came after me with a gun, and I had a crazy guy try to throw me into traffic, among other things. I taught aerobics at the Cabrini Green YMCA and I rode the bus to get there (Cabrini Green was considered to be a fairly dangerous area).

However, I never felt that my having a gun would have been helpful in those situations. Fast feet and the ability to yell loudly worked for me. I've never owned or carried a gun. While I've been very scared sometimes, I've never felt the pervasive dread that requires I be armed everywhere I go. It must be awful to be so fearful all the time.

What I get from LDH's posts (and some others in this thread) is an irrational fear of things like home invasions and terrorist attacks. These are scary when you read about them, but so are tornadoes, grizzly bear attacks, house fires, etc. What all of these have in common is that they are extremely unlikely to happen to any given person. The things you mention are more likely, and I have experienced a few of those, but like you, I never felt that a gun would have made things any better (even during the incidents, I wasn't wishing I had a gun). The types of situations where possession of a gun absolutely makes the difference between living and dying are so rare that I'm not going to lose any sleep over them. I'm more afraid of cancer than any of LDH's "hostile situations", but I don't lose any sleep over that, either.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
14-06-2017, 04:34 PM
(14-06-2017 04:21 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 04:03 PM)tomilay Wrote:  That is absurd. By that logic. we need more cars on the highways to make them safer. Because car dealerships have lots of them and they are safer than highways. I think it's safe to say most people purchase things in order to use them in a different location.

Mass shootings take place in "gun-free" zones. At gun shows, where many people are armed, you don't see mass shootings. Happy coincidence?

No. It's because people typically purchase things to go and use them somewhere else. Guns are no exception.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg