What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2017, 04:39 PM
(14-06-2017 04:03 PM)tomilay Wrote:  That is absurd. By that logic. we need more cars on the highways to make them safer.

Well Mr. Smarty Pants, if the pedestrians in London were in a car instead of on foot, they would have had a better chance of living from the truck and knives.

Come at me bro.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2017, 04:41 PM
(14-06-2017 04:34 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 04:21 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Mass shootings take place in "gun-free" zones. At gun shows, where many people are armed, you don't see mass shootings. Happy coincidence?

No. It's because people typically purchase things to go and use them somewhere else. Guns are no exception.

Are you saying that if we sold guns in schools that people would take them somewhere else to use them?
14-06-2017, 04:48 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(14-06-2017 04:21 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Mass shootings take place in "gun-free" zones. At gun shows, where many people are armed, you don't see mass shootings. Happy coincidence?

No. It's because people typically purchase things to go and use them somewhere else. Guns are no exception.

I think the point they're making, though, is that someone who wants to go shoot up a place is not going to pick a place (like a gun show) where everyone there is armed. They're far more likely to pick a place (like a school) where no-one is armed. Dylann Roof specifically chose to do his thing in a church because he knew it was "safe" (for him) -- nobody was going to shoot back at him (I'm not reading his mind -- I believe he stated this). This argument may not be as strong as its proponents think it is, but it seems to have some validity.
14-06-2017, 04:53 PM
(14-06-2017 04:41 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 04:34 PM)tomilay Wrote:  No. It's because people typically purchase things to go and use them somewhere else. Guns are no exception.

Are you saying that if we sold guns in schools that people would take them somewhere else to use them?

Walmart has lots of cereals. I have never seen anyone having their breakfast in the cereals aisle or right after checking it out. It could just be that people prefer to use their cereals, among other things including guns, somewhere else.

The short answer to your question is No, I am not saying that. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation is closer to the point I am making.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
14-06-2017, 04:55 PM
(14-06-2017 04:19 PM)julep Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 03:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You and LDH are both missing the point: the likelihood of a "hostile situation" is extremely small for most people. I've never encountered such a situation in my entire life (62 years and counting). I'd be pissing myself if I got attacked by a grizzly bear, too, but I don't carry bear spray with me at all times. Nor do I sleep with a fire extinguisher next to my bed, as someone else mentioned. Thinking that you're not "safe" unless you're armed is letting fear control you.

I'm not sure how unlikely it is that most people won't face hostile situations. It probably varies based on location and (possibly?) gender. When I was a single woman, living by myself in Chicago--without a car, so I went everywhere by foot, bike, or public transportation--I had a stalker who came after me with a gun, and I had a crazy guy try to throw me into traffic, among other things. I taught aerobics at the Cabrini Green YMCA and I rode the bus to get there (Cabrini Green was considered to be a fairly dangerous area).

However, I never felt that my having a gun would have been helpful in those situations. Fast feet and the ability to yell loudly worked for me. I've never owned or carried a gun. While I've been very scared sometimes, I've never felt the pervasive dread that requires I be armed everywhere I go. It must be awful to be so fearful all the time.

A gun probably would not be much use to you, as a violin wouldn't be of much use to me...

For the same reason - lack of training.

However, if you were to get one and train, it'd be a different story.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
14-06-2017, 05:00 PM
(14-06-2017 04:48 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(14-06-2017 04:34 PM)tomilay Wrote:  No. It's because people typically purchase things to go and use them somewhere else. Guns are no exception.

I think the point they're making, though, is that someone who wants to go shoot up a place is not going to pick a place (like a gun show) where everyone there is armed. They're far more likely to pick a place (like a school) where no-one is armed. Dylann Roof specifically chose to do his thing in a church because he knew it was "safe" (for him) -- nobody was going to shoot back at him (I'm not reading his mind -- I believe he stated this). This argument may not be as strong as its proponents think it is, but it seems to have some validity.

It might be a possible reason. Though it seems to be contradicted by the Dallas police shootings. Lots of armed police, and some civilians with guns. If anything, it can get out control fast when you have a nutjob firing a weapon, and people(including civilians) start shooting back.

It is also possible, in my opinion, a more likely explanation, that the guys at the gun shows are generally upstanding, law abiding and in a balanced state of mind and they want to buy their stuff and go use it somewhere else.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
14-06-2017, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2017 05:07 PM by TheBear.)

So, in your mind, there is absolutely zero probability that someone might think twice before deciding to shoot a bunch of people at a gun show, knowing that plenty of people there are armed.

The length some people go to, the mental gymnastics, the logic failure, in order to stay in denial and maintain their position, fucking amazes me. It's no different than talking to a young earth creationist.

OB's post makes perfect sense and is logically sound. Nothing absurd about it.
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
14-06-2017, 05:08 PM
(14-06-2017 05:04 PM)TheBear Wrote:  

So, in your mind, there is absolutely zero probability that someone might think twice before deciding to shoot a bunch of people at a gun show, knowing that plenty of people there are armed.

The length some people go to, the mental gymnastics, the logic failure, in order to stay in denial and maintain their position, fucking amazes me. It's no different than talking to a young earth creationist.

OB's post makes perfect sense and is logically sound.

That's not what I am saying even though I concede your right to ignore it. Your claim might be true - I don't know how much weight to give it. I am saying there are other equally - maybe more relevant - explanations.

14-06-2017, 05:23 PM
I've pointed this out before, but I've yet to see a mass shooting/active shooter/terrorist attack anywhere people are known to be armed. I dislike the argument that those things happen in gun free zones, because that's not entirely accurate. But in places where people are KNOWN to be carrying or the type of person that frequents a certain location most likely will be carrying, the threat of mass shooting/active shooter/terrorist attack is effectively zero (NRA Convention, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, gun shows, etc).

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
14-06-2017, 05:24 PM
(14-06-2017 04:53 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Walmart has lots of cereals. I have never seen anyone having their breakfast in the cereals aisle or right after checking it out. It could just be that people prefer to use their cereals, among other things including guns, somewhere else.

You seem to be hung up on the idea of what someone buys at a place, they will not use at that place, but use it elsewhere. Thus, if a person goes to a gun show and buys a firearm, they will be using it elsewhere. There's another scenario to consider. That a person has no intention of buying anything at a gun show, and merely shows up already armed and ready to shoot. But again, that probably won't happen, seeing that there are plenty of armed people at gun shows.

Let's move away from that scenario and move to another venue - an NRA convention. You don't see mass shootings there, either.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post