What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 05:57 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(15-06-2017 05:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Before the ban they had on average less than 360 firearm homicides per year.

Totally erroneous; in 1986—ten years before the government bans and gun buyback scheme—we had 667 gun deaths in Australia, 428 the year after the ban in 1997, and in 2015 we had "only" 211 [Philip Alpers, Amélie Rossetti, 2017. 'Guns in Australia: Total Number of Gun Deaths'. University of Sydney.]

Quote:It appears the people in Australia are simply not as prone to killing each other.

Which is largely due to the dearth of guns here; 21.7 per 100 people versus 112.6 for the US, or more than 5 times pro rata.

The rate of suicide by firearm also fell by 67% from 2.1 deaths per 100,000 of the population in 1996 to 0.7 deaths in 2014.

Quote:Getting rid of the guns didn't really change anything.

I'm sorry, but for some reason you erroneously and repeatedly cite this false "statistic"—despite me having corrected you a couple of times. It doesn't really matter how many times you assert something; if it's wrong, it stays wrong. I don't know why you're apparently so defensive of your own firearms stance, and also why you seem to be so antipathetical towards acknowledging Australia's success in curbing gun deaths with bans on certain weapons and strict ownership/licensing restrictions.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
15-06-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking about adding another semi-automatic rifle to my collection, probably something in a .223 caliber.
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post
15-06-2017, 07:14 PM
What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(15-06-2017 07:03 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I'm thinking about adding another semi-automatic rifle to my collection, probably something in a .223 caliber.

I'm going to get a Daniel Defense V7.

[Image: 35dbebf3878d7c37874ef354c18e8499.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
15-06-2017, 07:14 PM
(15-06-2017 07:03 PM)TheBear Wrote:  I'm thinking about adding another semi-automatic rifle to my collection, probably something in a .223 caliber.

They're hell on coyotes. We thin the dog rats out every year.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
15-06-2017, 07:39 PM
(15-06-2017 05:57 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 05:41 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Before the ban they had on average less than 360 firearm homicides per year.

Totally erroneous; in 1986—ten years before the government bans and gun buyback scheme—we had 667 gun deaths in Australia, 428 the year after the ban in 1997, and in 2015 we had "only" 211 [Philip Alpers, Amélie Rossetti, 2017. 'Guns in Australia: Total Number of Gun Deaths'. University of Sydney.]

Quote:It appears the people in Australia are simply not as prone to killing each other.

Which is largely due to the dearth of guns here; 21.7 per 100 people versus 112.6 for the US, or more than 5 times pro rata.

The rate of suicide by firearm also fell by 67% from 2.1 deaths per 100,000 of the population in 1996 to 0.7 deaths in 2014.

Quote:Getting rid of the guns didn't really change anything.

I'm sorry, but for some reason you erroneously and repeatedly cite this false "statistic"—despite me having corrected you a couple of times. It doesn't really matter how many times you assert something; if it's wrong, it stays wrong. I don't know why you're apparently so defensive of your own firearms stance, and also why you seem to be so antipathetical towards acknowledging Australia's success in curbing gun deaths with bans on certain weapons and strict ownership/licensing restrictions.

So my numbers are off a bit... They probably vary by what is counted. Anti gun types inflate their numbers by adding in justifiable shootings by law enforcement, and suicides....

But fuck - you want to compare Australia with the US????

They had more shootings in fucking Chicago than Australia fer crissakes....

To extrapolate ones numbers to the other is lke saying there weren't any pregnancies in Kindergarten, so there shouldn't be any in the high school......

You simply can't compare the two.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-06-2017, 08:20 PM
(15-06-2017 07:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They had more shootings in fucking Chicago than Australia fer crissakes....

Not really helping your argument there. Tongue

I think the biggest difference that should be recognized between Australia and the US is the reaction from the public to tragedy and injustice.

Australians said, fuck, this isn't good. What kind of common sense solutions can we implement and should we try them? The public got on board and voila, less gun violence and death.

The US public reacts... just like every gun nut in every gun discussion ever. And innocent people continue to be slaughtered.

You're right that it's not a policy issue. It's a common sense issue, which the American public lacks severely.

You are a protagonist of the lie that we can't be better than what we are. You are not a part of the solution. I stand for the solution, not being a part of the problem. I choose less guns over more, because that's common fucking sense.

I realize that it's a lost cause, and I might be better off just buying an uzi. But I prefer to work towards a preferred existence rather than a reactionary one. Because we can be better, and we should be.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
15-06-2017, 08:22 PM
(15-06-2017 07:14 PM)KUSA Wrote:  

I'm going to get a Daniel Defense V7.

[Image: 35dbebf3878d7c37874ef354c18e8499.jpg]

That's a damn nice rifle. I've been lusting after a V Seven LR Enlightened. At 4.85 lbs. it's more than 20% lighter than the DD V7.

[Image: v-seven-16-lr-enlightened-rifle-5-56-223...ms-f99.jpg]

I'll probably never buy another new factory AR though. Too much fun to build my own.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
15-06-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a bullpup. Never had one before. I hear they're great for close quarters. I'll have to shoot one and get the feel of it before I decide.
15-06-2017, 09:03 PM
Long linkage components don't make for good triggers. All the bullpups I've shot had shitty triggers.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
15-06-2017, 09:04 PM
(15-06-2017 08:20 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I realize that it's a lost cause, and I might be better off just buying an uzi.

Not a fan of Uzi. Too expensive to use. Most ammo fired is off target and wasted.
[+] 2 users Like TheBear's post