What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2017, 07:44 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(16-06-2017 07:35 AM)TheBear Wrote:  Looks like those 2 Georgia prison escapees who killed two guards and were on the run, were captured. They were held at gunpoint by homeowners until police arrived.

And they say a 'good guy with a gun', is a myth. Drinking Beverage

Killing correctional officers not smart, pretty much guarantees going on a one way visit to ol sparky thats for sure.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2017, 08:06 AM
(16-06-2017 07:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 07:35 AM)TheBear Wrote:  Looks like those 2 Georgia prison escapees who killed two guards and were on the run, were captured. They were held at gunpoint by homeowners until police arrived.

Killing correctional officers not smart, pretty much guarantees going on a one way visit to ol sparky thats for sure.

So, in a thread about gun owners, that was what you took away from my remarks?
16-06-2017, 08:11 AM

Nobody says "myth", just highly unlikely. One swallow doesn't mean it's Spring.

Or that he's gay. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2017, 08:14 AM
(16-06-2017 08:06 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 07:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Killing correctional officers not smart, pretty much guarantees going on a one way visit to ol sparky thats for sure.

Pretty much yes, don't forget this is an international forum not everyone has a dog in this fight I can see good points made by both sides and personally I'm pretty much convinced that firearms ownership is needed in the USA, there's really no need for you to be so defensive fella I'm not the enemy here.
16-06-2017, 08:20 AM
One? This was just the latest reported incident of civilians holding criminals at gunpoint until police arrive.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=held+at+gu...&FORM=PERE
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
16-06-2017, 08:30 AM
(16-06-2017 08:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 08:06 AM)TheBear Wrote:  So, in a thread about gun owners, that was what you took away from my remarks?

Pretty much yes, don't forget this is an international forum not everyone has a dog in this fight I can see good points made by both sides and personally I'm pretty much convinced that firearms ownership is needed in the USA, there's really no need for you to be so defensive fella I'm not the enemy here.

"defensive"? "enemy"? Stop projecting, please. I don't see you as an enemy, and not defensive about your remarks. I just found them odd and having nothing to do with the upshot of my remarks. Gawdzilla and I don't see eye to eye on this, but he at least got the upshot of my remarks. And guess what ... I don't see Gawdzilla as an enemy, nor am I defensive about his remarks. We're having a discussion about gun owners, nothing more.
16-06-2017, 08:31 AM
(16-06-2017 08:30 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 08:14 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Pretty much yes, don't forget this is an international forum not everyone has a dog in this fight I can see good points made by both sides and personally I'm pretty much convinced that firearms ownership is needed in the USA, there's really no need for you to be so defensive fella I'm not the enemy here.

"defensive"? "enemy"? Stop projecting, please. I don't see you as an enemy, and not defensive about your remarks. I just found them odd and having nothing to do with the upshot of my remarks. Gawdzilla and I don't see eye to eye on this, but he at least got the upshot of my remarks. And guess what ... I don't see Gawdzilla as an enemy, nor am I defensive about his remarks. We're having a discussion about gun owners, nothing more.

Ok that's cool I'm sorry I misinterpreted you. Thumbsup
16-06-2017, 09:33 AM
(16-06-2017 08:20 AM)TheBear Wrote:  One? This was just the latest reported incident of civilians holding criminals at gunpoint until police arrive.

Out of how many total.
16-06-2017, 09:55 AM
(16-06-2017 09:33 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 08:20 AM)TheBear Wrote:  One? This was just the latest reported incident of civilians holding criminals at gunpoint until police arrive.

Out of how many total.

It's great what that homeowner was able to do with his gun. One might be forgiven for also noticing that his actions are those of a sane, responsible gun owner. I haven't seen a single post on this forum opposed to this type of individual owning a gun.

That aside, when study after study does not favor a narrative, some have a tendency to resort to anecdotes to shore up a discredited idea. The problem with anecdotes is you can always come up with a counter. And you don't have to look further than the last 2 days for an example of that.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
16-06-2017, 10:22 AM
(16-06-2017 08:06 AM)TheBear Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 07:44 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Killing correctional officers not smart, pretty much guarantees going on a one way visit to ol sparky thats for sure.

Even with that story you miss the point. The fact that two unarmed prisoners could over power two armed and trained officers, take their guns away and murder them is not the norm, most of the time a trained person is going to be harder to overrun.

And in the case of the civilians also the same, their successfully holding them at gunpoint is the exception not the norm.

The bigger long term stats have always constantly shown that a firearm user is far more likely to injure or kill themselves or someone they are familiar with than to successfully protect themselves from a stranger.

A gun user is more likely to accidentally hurt themselves. They are more likely to commit suicide. They are more likely to hurt or kill a spouse or a family member or neighbor.

They are also far more likely to get injured or killed trying to introduce a gun into an armed conflict.

And even with legal public carry, in the Oregon college shooting, there was legal carry, one x military WAS there, but did not get involved and his reason was, "I didn't want to be mistaken for the bad guy".

Then there is the Dallas shooting. DPD said after it was all over they were pissed at the open carry morons because it slowed them down trying to find the bad guy. And those open carry morons didn't get involved either.

Then you had the Vegas shooting with the Tea Party couple, they murdered TWO armed cops, walked across the street to the Walmart. One unfortunate hero wannabe unfortunately got himself killed, because he pulled out his gun, but only spotted the man, the female was behind him and shot him in the head, so do tell how that firearm helped that poor guy?

The couple who got them were LUCKY nothing more, most of the time use of a gun in a REAL conflict does not end up that way.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37