What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2017, 09:14 AM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(17-06-2017 08:58 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-06-2017 08:12 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Wear an explosive vest and a turban and you'd have the place to yourself. Drinking Beverage

I don't actually want the place Tongue. I make better coffee for a quarter, if that.

You make coffee you like better for a quarter. Have you tried all the types of coffee a broad-spectrum coffee seller has?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-06-2017, 09:25 AM
(17-06-2017 09:14 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(17-06-2017 08:58 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I don't actually want the place Tongue. I make better coffee for a quarter, if that.

You make coffee you like better for a quarter. Have you tried all the types of coffee a broad-spectrum coffee seller has?

Blasphemy! Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-06-2017, 10:11 AM
(17-06-2017 09:25 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(17-06-2017 09:14 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You make coffee you like better for a quarter. Have you tried all the types of coffee a broad-spectrum coffee seller has?

Blasphemy! Tongue

Somewhat incoherent blasphemy. Blink

Anyway, there was a shop in Cartagena, right on the beach, that claimed to have five hundred kinds of coffee. I managed to test twenty and like five.
17-06-2017, 10:56 AM
What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
Gawdzilla doesn't need caffeine.
17-06-2017, 11:23 AM
I didn't read through the entire thread as it has way too many pages for me to cypher through.

This is my "personal" thought of gun ownership. I've grown up around firearms from the time I was born and I'm now 47. I am far from what you might consider a "gun nut". But I do love sport shooting and I also keep one for home defence.

I own 4 firearms. One Mossberg 535 with collapsible stock with a 18 1/2" barrel for home defence. It is made for nothing else as the barrel has no choke and it shoots a pattern that spreads to about a foot wide at 20 yards depending on what shell I load in it. It will cycle any shotgun shell on the market. It is kept by the bedside fully loaded with a diffused laser attached under the barrel that shows exactly where the shot will go and how far it will spread at a given distance with the shells I have loaded in it. That said. I live in (what I consider) a very safe neighborhood so the fact that someone might break into my house is remote but I choose to be proactive rather than reactive.

My second gun is a S&W M&P 15 (AR 15). It is built up exactly as our local Police Swat Team uses. Eotech Holographic Scope, Magpul backup Iron Sights, vertical foregrip, and a tactical light on the side that you just rest your thumb on and the light turns on and off as you touch the pad on the back of the light. Do I "need" this weapon? Absolutely not. But I like this weapon and take it to the gun range often. I always wanted an AR but in reality there is no "practical" use for it for home defence even though I have PDX home defence ammo loaded in it so it will not shoot through the entire house into the next house. I understand that there are a lot of people that do not like the fact that a military grade weapon is available to the general public and I understand the argument. But it is allowed in my state so I have one because I just wanted one.

My third gun is a Remington Nylon 66 22cal rifle that was given to me by my grandfather when I was 10. It still shoots perfectly and is a fun little rifle to shoot. I've given it to my 12 year old daughter and she likes "plinking" targets at the gun range.

My fourth and last gun is a Remington Model 11 that has been passed down through my family. I never fire the shotgun as it is more of a heirloom than anything.

All of that said I have mixed emotions about firearms. The ability to gain easy access to a firearm can be problematic given whether it was gained through legal means or illegal means. Either way the statement is always given that "people kill people not the gun". There is a kernel of truth in that statement with the amount of damage that can be done with a weapon of military grade quality. That said the same amount of damage could be done with a vehicle if intent to cause harm is there. It is almost impossible to stop someone that is motivated to cause harm under misguided judgement.
I don't like the idea of the new direction our society is moving in with the suits that have been filed against gun manufacturers for creating a product that could potentially used with intent for violence. If that's the case then I "suppose" we should also file suit against vehicle manufacturers if a Ford is used to drive through a park and mow down as many people as possible. But I do understand the issues we face with gun control so my personal stance is in the middle. I own a weapon that has no practical use outside of the military but I own it by choice. I love shooting it at the range. Do I need that weapon? No... not at all.

So in the end it's a complicated subject though I still stand by the right to own a weapon. I just wish they wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. That can not be adequately controlled though.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
17-06-2017, 12:29 PM
(17-06-2017 11:23 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I didn't read through the entire thread as it has way too many pages for me to cypher through.

This is my "personal" thought of gun ownership. I've grown up around firearms from the time I was born and I'm now 47. I am far from what you might consider a "gun nut". But I do love sport shooting and I also keep one for home defence.

I own 4 firearms. One Mossberg 535 with collapsible stock with a 18 1/2" barrel for home defence. It is made for nothing else as the barrel has no choke and it shoots a pattern that spreads to about a foot wide at 20 yards depending on what shell I load in it. It will cycle any shotgun shell on the market. It is kept by the bedside fully loaded with a diffused laser attached under the barrel that shows exactly where the shot will go and how far it will spread at a given distance with the shells I have loaded in it. That said. I live in (what I consider) a very safe neighborhood so the fact that someone might break into my house is remote but I choose to be proactive rather than reactive.

My second gun is a S&W M&P 15 (AR 15). It is built up exactly as our local Police Swat Team uses. Eotech Holographic Scope, Magpul backup Iron Sights, vertical foregrip, and a tactical light on the side that you just rest your thumb on and the light turns on and off as you touch the pad on the back of the light. Do I "need" this weapon? Absolutely not. But I like this weapon and take it to the gun range often. I always wanted an AR but in reality there is no "practical" use for it for home defence even though I have PDX home defence ammo loaded in it so it will not shoot through the entire house into the next house. I understand that there are a lot of people that do not like the fact that a military grade weapon is available to the general public and I understand the argument. But it is allowed in my state so I have one because I just wanted one.

My third gun is a Remington Nylon 66 22cal rifle that was given to me by my grandfather when I was 10. It still shoots perfectly and is a fun little rifle to shoot. I've given it to my 12 year old daughter and she likes "plinking" targets at the gun range.

My fourth and last gun is a Remington Model 11 that has been passed down through my family. I never fire the shotgun as it is more of a heirloom than anything.

All of that said I have mixed emotions about firearms. The ability to gain easy access to a firearm can be problematic given whether it was gained through legal means or illegal means. Either way the statement is always given that "people kill people not the gun". There is a kernel of truth in that statement with the amount of damage that can be done with a weapon of military grade quality. That said the same amount of damage could be done with a vehicle if intent to cause harm is there. It is almost impossible to stop someone that is motivated to cause harm under misguided judgement.
I don't like the idea of the new direction our society is moving in with the suits that have been filed against gun manufacturers for creating a product that could potentially used with intent for violence. If that's the case then I "suppose" we should also file suit against vehicle manufacturers if a Ford is used to drive through a park and mow down as many people as possible. But I do understand the issues we face with gun control so my personal stance is in the middle. I own a weapon that has no practical use outside of the military but I own it by choice. I love shooting it at the range. Do I need that weapon? No... not at all.

So in the end it's a complicated subject though I still stand by the right to own a weapon. I just wish they wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. That can not be adequately controlled though.

What color is your Nylon 66?

They're becoming something of a collector's item...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-06-2017, 12:41 PM
(17-06-2017 12:29 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What color is your Nylon 66?

They're becoming something of a collector's item...

Unfortunately it's not the black stock. It's brown but still has the lifetime warranty sticker on the side.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
17-06-2017, 02:29 PM
(16-06-2017 06:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A bit arrogant, don't ya think??

Hello, black kettle.
Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
17-06-2017, 03:01 PM
(17-06-2017 02:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(16-06-2017 06:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  A bit arrogant, don't ya think??

Hello, black kettle.
Drinking Beverage

[Image: bwaha.gif]
18-06-2017, 09:20 AM
(15-06-2017 07:39 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-06-2017 05:57 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Totally erroneous; in 1986—ten years before the government bans and gun buyback scheme—we had 667 gun deaths in Australia, 428 the year after the ban in 1997, and in 2015 we had "only" 211 [Philip Alpers, Amélie Rossetti, 2017. 'Guns in Australia: Total Number of Gun Deaths'. University of Sydney.]

Which is largely due to the dearth of guns here; 21.7 per 100 people versus 112.6 for the US, or more than 5 times pro rata.

The rate of suicide by firearm also fell by 67% from 2.1 deaths per 100,000 of the population in 1996 to 0.7 deaths in 2014...

Quote:So my numbers are off a bit... They probably vary by what is counted. Anti gun types inflate their numbers by adding in justifiable shootings by law enforcement, and suicides....

Nope. Your numbers aren't a "bit off". They're totally wrong, and completely misrepresent your claims about the Australian gun laws and firearms ownership. And you're guessing again about my figures. I'm certainly not an "anti-gun" type (which I've made clear in my earlier posts) and your use of such pejorative phrasing won't win you any debates; it actually sounds a bit desperate.

Quote:But fuck - you want to compare Australia with the US?

Not at all. I'm correctly comparing one set of pro rata figures with another set. The specific countries are immaterial.

Quote:They had more shootings in fucking Chicago than Australia fer crissakes....

Oh dear... surely you must see the irony of this statement from someone in the US so defensive of their liberal firearms rights, but at the same time so disparaging of Australia's far more strict gun laws—which have been proven over two decades to actually work.

As a matter of interest, Chicago isn't a large city by global standards, with a population of only 2.75 million, and yet it had 717 gun deaths in 2016 (and 44 so far this month!). Where I live (Melbourne) we have less than 100 gun deaths per year, although we have a population of 4.82 million.

Quote:To extrapolate ones numbers to the other is like saying there weren't any pregnancies in Kindergarten, so there shouldn't be any in the high school......

False equivalence. Straw man. Illogical. Etc.

—I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on the gun laws/ownership thing, as the US/Australia cultural gap seems too wide to bridge on such an obviously provocative topic... Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.