What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: What Is Your Opinion Of Gunowners?
(06-07-2017 02:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Wasn't Pearl Harbour part of USA?

Technically no, it was US territory that had a naval base.

Hawaii was not a state until 1959.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-07-2017, 03:15 PM
(08-07-2017 08:27 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I still contend that a woman is better off buying a used dildo at a garage sale, than dating the average guy.

Cuz face it, she's less likely to contract an STD from the dildo, as she can always soak the dildo in bleach - unlike the average guy, who's unlikely to be a virgin....

So what the fuck does that have to do with my OP???

About the same as the last dozen or so posts, fer fuckssake,.........

I think most women pick up their used dildos in nightclubs.
09-07-2017, 03:29 PM
(08-07-2017 10:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 04:22 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Your reading of events is ignorant of history. The Japanese never wanted to invade the American mainland, not because of guns or oceans, but because what they wanted was to the Southeast, not the East...

Immediately after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, a fleet of seven Japanese submarines patrolled the US West Coast, with plans to bombard targets in California on Christmas Eve 1941. The attack was postponed until 27 December but then cancelled due to fears of an American reprisal. Japanese submarines also fired shells at the Ellwood Oil Field west of Santa Barbara in California, and Fort Stevens—a US military installation in Oregon. The Japanese also launched so-called fire balloons towards the US mainland with the intention of starting devastating forest fires, but only 300 ever landed, and caused little damage. And in 1942, the Japanese also had an intercontinental bomber under development—the Z Bombers Project—which was to be capable of reaching the North American west coast.

None of that was a prelude to an invasion. Those, too, were raids. Dieppe wasn't an invasion. Gallipoli wasn't a raid. Hopefully that will dispel this misunderstanding. Raids are not intended to establish a permanent presence, they are intended to inflict damage before returning the raiding forces to base. Invasions are intended to land and maintain not only an assault force, but support and grow it so that it may hold the territory on which it is landed and has subsequently conquered. The Japanese had exactly zero troops en route to Pearl Harbor. That is not the thing invasions are made of. (By the way, I toured one of our coastal emplacements a couple of years ago in Southern California, where I lived for many years. While the information you've given is essentially accurate, it is not news to me, nor is it pertinent).

As for whether the Japanese "island-hopped", that really wasn't their strategy. What their strategy early in the war was was to seize the resources they wanted, and seize the bases and/or nodal points they would need in order to defend their conquests. Did they hop a little? Sure, they had to, and superficially it might even resemble Allied strategy -- but it was very different. The Allies "island-hopped" in order to bypass strong-points like Rabaul or Truk in order to establish operational positioning or threatening bases. On the other hand, the Japanese in their conquests directly attacked enemy strongpoints in order to reduce and capture them ... pretty much the antithesis of island-hopping as practiced strategically by the Allies.
09-07-2017, 05:44 PM
(09-07-2017 02:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 09:01 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You're still getting it wrong.
Well, even if I am, you don't need get all nasty do you?

My point was that islands can't be sunk and navy can, a path across land or islands is much safer than a path across a stretch of water.

I very much doubt the Japanese could have made a journey across the Pacific ocean in order to make a full on invasion assault against USA (even if they had wanted too)

And I still maintain that the Brits were saved by the English channel against the Germans. They would have been taken out early in WW2 if it weren't for the channel, defended by their fleet and airforce.

Now, if my opinion on this gets you angry for some reason then so be it.
Or if you simply like to throw insults at people whose opinions are different to yours or opinions are just plain wrong, then again, so be it.
You charge in here lecturing like we're all idiots, you die of foot-in-mouth disease. Get over yourself.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2017, 05:45 PM
(09-07-2017 02:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 02:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Wasn't Pearl Harbour part of USA?

Technically no, it was US territory that had a naval base.

And while we leased Pearl Harbor from the Hawaiians it was a few decades before anybody thought to lease LAND around the harbor. Facepalm
09-07-2017, 07:36 PM
(09-07-2017 05:44 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 02:37 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Well, even if I am, you don't need get all nasty do you?

My point was that islands can't be sunk and navy can, a path across land or islands is much safer than a path across a stretch of water.

I very much doubt the Japanese could have made a journey across the Pacific ocean in order to make a full on invasion assault against USA (even if they had wanted too)

And I still maintain that the Brits were saved by the English channel against the Germans. They would have been taken out early in WW2 if it weren't for the channel, defended by their fleet and airforce.

Now, if my opinion on this gets you angry for some reason then so be it.
Or if you simply like to throw insults at people whose opinions are different to yours or opinions are just plain wrong, then again, so be it.
You charge in here lecturing like we're all idiots, you die of foot-in-mouth disease. Get over yourself.
I wasn't lecturing, I was offering my opinion.
Best to get involved and participate rather than to stand around watching.
Get over yourself Fuck face!
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
09-07-2017, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017 08:01 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(09-07-2017 05:45 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 02:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Technically no, it was US territory that had a naval base.

And while we leased Pearl Harbor from the Hawaiians it was a few decades before anybody thought to lease LAND around the harbor. Facepalm

If memory serves there were a couple locations around and not far from Pearl Harbor.

To be sure, I'd have to ask my husband and he'll just yell at me.

Asked him and said there were several one in the north shore of Oahu. He said they were able to get a few planes off the ground during the attack.

There was also an Air Force base in Pearl Harbor (Hickman I think). Another located close by...

Pearl Harbor was the primary target (shipyard) the Japanese didn't know about the air force base or it wasn't an initial target.

(Their intent wasn't to invade, but to decimate. With idea being we would be too scared to enter the war.)

The US government did lease practically the whole island of o'ahu.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-07-2017, 05:52 AM
(09-07-2017 07:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 05:45 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  And while we leased Pearl Harbor from the Hawaiians it was a few decades before anybody thought to lease LAND around the harbor. Facepalm

If memory serves there were a couple locations around and not far from Pearl Harbor.

Asked him and said there were several one in the north shore of Oahu. He said they were able to get a few planes off the ground during the attack.

There was also an Air Force base in Pearl Harbor (Hickman I think). Another located close by...

Pearl Harbor was the primary target (shipyard) the Japanese didn't know about the air force base or it wasn't an initial target.

(Their intent wasn't to invade, but to decimate. With idea being we would be too scared to enter the war.)

Lahaina Anchorage was another site for the fleet, but it still didn't have shore facilities. The ships could also anchor off Honolulu, saved that trip into town from Pearl. At one point before the annexation there were British, Germany, Japanese, and American warships off Honolulu. That tet-a-tet prompted the US to accept the "request" of local planters for annexation. Teddy Roosevelt, then assistant secretary of war, decided that Japan was the biggest threat in the Pacific and ordered a study that eventually became "War Plan Orange". (Because, you know, "Yellow" was too obvious. Tongue ) The Spanish-American War intervened and the first Great Pacific War was averted for a time.
10-07-2017, 05:57 AM
(09-07-2017 07:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If memory serves there were a couple locations around and not far from Pearl Harbor.

There were several facilities all over the islands. Airstrips were located for defensive purposes and training. We had two division of infantry and ancillary units on the islands. Their mission was to allow the Fleet to rest, recreate and refit without having to do their own security. Gen. Short thought his mission was to protect his own ass sets.

The Japanese knew about Hickam, it's literally next door to Pearl Harbor Shipyard. Yoshikawa Takao, sent to Japan by the Imperial Japanese Navy, had scouted the island thoroughly.
10-07-2017, 06:10 AM
(09-07-2017 07:36 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-07-2017 05:44 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  You charge in here lecturing like we're all idiots, you die of foot-in-mouth disease. Get over yourself.
I wasn't lecturing, I was offering my opinion.
Best to get involved and participate rather than to stand around watching.
Get over yourself Fuck face!

I started reading the Congressional Investigation Into the Attack on Pearl Harbor in 1965. Read all forty volumes before I got out of high school. Can you tell me which Youtubes you've used in your research?