What Is Your Pay Gap? The Wall Street Journal Knows.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 07:33 AM
RE: What Is Your Pay Gap? The Wall Street Journal Knows.
(24-05-2016 07:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 06:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Yes, this should explain

Like I said, males are not pulling their weight in child care.

Like I said, vasopressin, testostrone, sexual selection. Big Grin

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2016, 07:36 AM
(24-05-2016 07:33 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Like I said, males are not pulling their weight in child care.

Like I said, vasopressin, testostrone, sexual selection. Big Grin

Like I said, lots of additional, unpaid work for females.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-05-2016, 07:45 AM
(24-05-2016 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:33 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Like I said, vasopressin, testostrone, sexual selection. Big Grin

Like I said, lots of additional, unpaid work for females.

Like I said, oxytocin, estrogen, sexual selection.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-05-2016, 08:01 AM
(24-05-2016 07:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 06:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Yes, this should explain

Like I said, males are not pulling their weight in child care.
Yes, there is truth in this.

Personally I would rather spend more time with kids then work in my office , but , you know...there are bills to be payed.

Just kidding, we don`t have kids yet. Big Grin

But, considering that all of the money me and my wife earn is our money, not mine and hers, with both of us having equal access to it, , me working 60 days a year more then my wife and thus ( among other things ) I earn more money , is not really me being privileged , is it?

In fact , one can reasonable argue that my wife gets to spend more money then she has earned.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
24-05-2016, 08:26 AM
(24-05-2016 07:45 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Like I said, lots of additional, unpaid work for females.

Like I said, oxytocin, estrogen, sexual selection.

That's no excuse. Women work MORE because men don't share equally in child care, and they don't get paid for the additional work. It's work, you know. And the male is 50% responsible for creating it. Men are perfectly capable of caring for children, and many men do these days.

Women should either be paid equal wages or be paid by the male to raise the kids. And that is kind of what the old arrangement was, where the woman stayed home to care for the kids and the male funded it.

One way or another, if there are kids involved, males need to carry their weight.

Where there are not, there is absolutely no excuse for a salary discrepancy. (not that there is an excuse for it under any circumstances).

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Mmmm.

So it's not under dispute that earnings are different between women and men, and that it's a clear difference. Just the reasons for why that is.

On the one hand, there's the argument that it's due to bias, on the other hand, the argument that it's due to choice.

I'm not sure that I buy the "men are just more motivated" argument. It's a bit too simplistic for me. I know that discrimination does exist - not necessarily on paper since legal wise that's been done away with - but like racism, just saying that black people must get equal pay doesn't magically cause the race pay gap to disappear, even if it's not visible on paper. IIRC I was reading an article published a while ago saying that out of Fortune 500 companies there are 5 with black CEOs. Here it is. I highly doubt that black people are just less motivated. I can believe that they have less access to education and that there might be other factors contributing.

I can accept that some of the earnings difference would come from women's choice to work less hours etc, but my guess is that there's some that's attributable to bias and factors such as cultural emphasis on women's roles as well. I can't believe that bias disappears when it's no longer explicitly on paper. There are multiple ways I can think of that the bias might still be present - denial of opportunities for advancement, that kinda thing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-05-2016, 08:41 AM
(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  That's no excuse.

It is an explanation as to why. People tend to forget men and women are different in neurology in some areas. So yes biology does effect our choices, and the only way to get rid of them is sexual selection.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Women work MORE because men don't share equally in child care

At best dads just don't become stay at home dads, and that is their choice.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  And the male is 50% responsible for creating it. Men are perfectly capable of caring for children, and many men do these days.

They always have, but again, they aren't stay at home dads.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Women should either be paid equal wages or be paid by the male to raise the kids. And that is kind of what the old arrangement was, where the woman stayed home to care for the kids and the male funded it.

Women are, if they want to make as much as a man, your going to have to work as hard as them. Now I must agree, the fact the united states doesn't have maternity leave is weird, but for men funding it, they kinda do. I know in japan men just hand over their checks to their wives.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  One way or another, if there are kids involved, males need to carry their weight.

They do, just in a different way. Why do you think men with kids work harder? Most men don't want to be stay at home dads, that is their choice. This is one of those holding a feminine standard of masculine standard again.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Where there are not, there is absolutely no excuse for a salary discrepancy. (not that there is an excuse for it under any circumstances).

Just one, choice. What you want is equallity of outcome, and here is a country that tried that and failed. We have equality of opportunity. This means that people can go to the jobs they want if they are capable. If most women want to be stay at home moms and dads work, so be it.

24-05-2016, 11:32 AM
(24-05-2016 08:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  That's no excuse.

It is an explanation as to why. People tend to forget men and women are different in neurology in some areas. So yes biology does effect our choices, and the only way to get rid of them is sexual selection.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Women work MORE because men don't share equally in child care

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  And the male is 50% responsible for creating it. Men are perfectly capable of caring for children, and many men do these days.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Women should either be paid equal wages or be paid by the male to raise the kids. And that is kind of what the old arrangement was, where the woman stayed home to care for the kids and the male funded it.

Women are, if they want to make as much as a man, your going to have to work as hard as them. Now I must agree, the fact the united states doesn't have maternity leave is weird, but for men funding it, they kinda do. I know in japan men just hand over their checks to their wives.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  One way or another, if there are kids involved, males need to carry their weight.

They do, just in a different way. Why do you think men with kids work harder? Most men don't want to be stay at home dads, that is their choice. This is one of those holding a feminine standard of masculine standard again.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Where there are not, there is absolutely no excuse for a salary discrepancy. (not that there is an excuse for it under any circumstances).

Just one, choice. What you want is equallity of outcome, and here is a country that tried that and failed. We have equality of opportunity. This means that people can go to the jobs they want if they are capable. If most women want to be stay at home moms and dads work, so be it.

There is no choice, if there is a sick kid at home, somebody has to be there. If the man won't, the woman has to. And the model of women staying home and the man supporting the family is pretty much done for. Most times it takes two salaries to support a family, and there are tons of women raising kids alone. They are up shit creek without a paddle.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-05-2016, 05:19 PM
(24-05-2016 11:32 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 08:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  It is an explanation as to why. People tend to forget men and women are different in neurology in some areas. So yes biology does effect our choices, and the only way to get rid of them is sexual selection.

There is no choice, if there is a sick kid at home, somebody has to be there. If the man won't, the woman has to. And the model of women staying home and the man supporting the family is pretty much done for. Most times it takes two salaries to support a family, and there are tons of women raising kids alone. They are up shit creek without a paddle.

He doesn't see it because he doesn't want to see. It would upset his preconceived notion of what his tiny little world looks like. Willful ignorance is not something you can thwart with facts or reality.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
24-05-2016, 05:33 PM
in theory, according to that website, I am at 85% but in fact I know the sallary of my coworkers because everyone has the same contract. So we all get the same actually.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -