What Is Your Pay Gap? The Wall Street Journal Knows.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: What Is Your Pay Gap? The Wall Street Journal Knows.
(24-05-2016 05:33 PM)Leela Wrote:  in theory, according to that website, I am at 85% but in fact I know the sallary of my coworkers because everyone has the same contract. So we all get the same actually.

It doesn't say everyone is different within each and every company. There are companies where the jobs are set with pay grades for specific positions and longevity and there are unions where pay is set per job. But not all places do this. Most of the jobs and their pay grades are arbitrary and controlled, not by a criteria, but by a single person or small group of people and their personal preferences or biases.

Mine was 86% overall but in my area (small town) my salary is quite good whereas if I made the same in a big city it would be much less than 86%.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2016, 05:46 PM
(24-05-2016 05:33 PM)Leela Wrote:  in theory, according to that website, I am at 85% but in fact I know the sallary of my coworkers because everyone has the same contract. So we all get the same actually.

But your location says Romania? The website shows stats from the US.

Also, howdy neighbor. I'm Serbian.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
24-05-2016, 05:53 PM
(24-05-2016 08:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  Women work MORE because men don't share equally in child care

At best dads just don't become stay at home dads, and that is their choice.

(24-05-2016 08:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  And the male is 50% responsible for creating it. Men are perfectly capable of caring for children, and many men do these days.

They always have, but again, they aren't stay at home dads.

We are not talking about stay at home mothers either. We are talking about women working full time jobs having to take out time to take kids to the doc. We're talking about that being the cause for their reduced pay.

If men and women alternated in taking the kids to the doc, they would be working equal hours for equal pay. As is, the women work extra hours for less pay because they additionally carry the man's burden regarding the kids.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
24-05-2016, 06:54 PM
(24-05-2016 05:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  We are not talking about stay at home mothers either. We are talking about women working full time jobs having to take out time to take kids to the doc. We're talking about that being the cause for their reduced pay.

If men and women alternated in taking the kids to the doc, they would be working equal hours for equal pay. As is, the women work extra hours for less pay because they additionally carry the man's burden regarding the kids.

As if dads don't do that for starters. But here is another question, who is offering to do it first? If most women happen to be the ones offering so what. You make it sound as if A. she doesn't choose these things B. The way a man raises kids is going to tend to be different from women C. That biology affects why most women choose to go for the kids. If a man wants to look for the kids when they are sick his choice, if a women wants to do it her choice. Sorry but you are looking for equality of outcome and not opportunity.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-05-2016, 07:05 PM
(24-05-2016 05:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 08:41 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  At best dads just don't become stay at home dads, and that is their choice.

They always have, but again, they aren't stay at home dads.

We are not talking about stay at home mothers either. We are talking about women working full time jobs having to take out time to take kids to the doc. We're talking about that being the cause for their reduced pay.

Yes, but you are talking about a couple with kids, a family unit , yet you treat their earnings separately to force the conclusion that women are shorthanded in this situation.
In a family type relationship , both partners ( presumably ) have equal control over the total sum of their earnings.

If one partner makes 2k and the other makes 1k a month because the burden of taking care of the kids is on them , they both still "have control" over the half of that total sum of 3k, it doesn't matter who brought the bigger check home.

This trend will also be present in a family unit before , and after, the need for taking care of the kids is present.

So a person who has a burden of taking care of the kids is, in fact , compensated for the work.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
24-05-2016, 07:57 PM
(24-05-2016 07:05 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 05:53 PM)Dom Wrote:  We are not talking about stay at home mothers either. We are talking about women working full time jobs having to take out time to take kids to the doc. We're talking about that being the cause for their reduced pay.

Yes, but you are talking about a couple with kids, a family unit , yet you treat their earnings separately to force the conclusion that women are shorthanded in this situation.
In a family type relationship , both partners ( presumably ) have equal control over the total sum of their earnings.

If one partner makes 2k and the other makes 1k a month because the burden of taking care of the kids is on them , they both still "have control" over the half of that total sum of 3k, it doesn't matter who brought the bigger check home.

This trend will also be present in a family unit before , and after, the need for taking care of the kids is present.

So a person who has a burden of taking care of the kids is, in fact , compensated for the work.

That is not at all always the case. Many times the couple will have each their own bank accounts and from that they will contribute equally to a household account.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-05-2016, 03:15 AM
(24-05-2016 07:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-05-2016 07:05 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yes, but you are talking about a couple with kids, a family unit , yet you treat their earnings separately to force the conclusion that women are shorthanded in this situation.

That is not at all always the case. Many times the couple will have each their own bank accounts and from that they will contribute equally to a household account.
Ok, but maybe couples who have this kind of strict financial agreement also have a have a strict agreement by which they equally share the burden of raising kids.

Of course , there will be cases where one of the partners ( more often a woman, I will concede to that ) will pull more then their weight when it comes to raising the children , but we are now talking about individual cases and not about the systematic oppression over women enforced by evil patriarchy, which is a feminist mantra.

And, on the other hand there is plenty of work/family/society related issues where it is men who take most, if not all, of the burden.
I.e. it is man who overwhelmingly do the most dangerous jobs, it is men who go to war if need be, and so on...all the way to the most banal things like the fact that it will be the man who is going to check the suspicious noise that`s coming from the ground flour in the middle of the night.

If we are talking about the society like a whole, then you can`t look at all of this issues separately , they are all connected, they all paint the big picture.
And looking at this big picture , claim that it is women who get the short end of the stick...I just don`t see it, I `m sorry.

And since, for no other reason then being a man, I was forced by society to put on a uniform and was placed in a situation where potentially I have to kill another human being or to be killed myself, while no women in my society was asked to do the same, I find the claims that it is me, a man, who is privileged by society, a bit insulting, to be honest.

[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
25-05-2016, 03:32 AM
(24-05-2016 05:46 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  But your location says Romania? The website shows stats from the US.

Also, howdy neighbor. I'm Serbian.
Just didn't change my location yet because I am lazy.
I am in neither of those two countries, I am in Ireland. Howdy anyway

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
25-05-2016, 03:33 AM
The UI is so slow and clunky on that interactive chart. Honestly, I'd rather just see a spreadsheet.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
25-05-2016, 05:19 AM
(25-05-2016 03:33 AM)cactus Wrote:  The UI is so slow and clunky on that interactive chart. Honestly, I'd rather just see a spreadsheet.

I totally agree. I did not like the display format. Sad

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]