What Is Your Viewpoint on Gender and Gender Identity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2016, 09:48 PM
What Is Your Viewpoint on Gender and Gender Identity?
Do you believe there are more than two genders or do you think about gender as a strict biological concept? Do you believe that there is a reason for having various identities or do you really not care about any of it? Just curious to hear some opinions. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
10-12-2016, 11:30 PM
RE: What Is Your Viewpoint on Gender and Gender Identity?
Oh boy, I can guess that this is gonna get real silly with the arguments at some point. So here's my understanding of it, as a nonbinary person myself:

"Gender" is an expression of how a person perceives themselves & how we perceive others in terms of masculinity/femininity/androgyny. "Sex" is how we characterize people based on physical characteristics like anatomy, hormone levels, chromosomes. Most people fit into categories of "male" and "female" as we define them. Lots of people, however, do not. And I feel they have just as much of a right to define how they identify gender-wise as anyone else.
[+] 13 users Like ViolexTV's post
10-12-2016, 11:39 PM
I reckon gender identity and sexuality both lie upon a continuum. I don't and won't begrudge anyone their own estimation of where they lie on either spectrum. I may not use the most up-to-date terminology, but I don't trip if you try to teach me a new word.
[+] 8 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-12-2016, 01:04 AM
The answer is the latter in both cases for me.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
11-12-2016, 01:51 AM
I don't see how the idea of there being multiple genders is so controversial. There are plenty of things that are highly counterintuitive to us. We shouldn't expect things to fall in line with our preconceptions.
[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
11-12-2016, 05:16 AM
Gender, like politics is a slippery thing that's hard to stick a label on.

Like "liberal" and "conservative" - your personal "normal" is what people tend to judge others by.

Problem is -- it doesn't really work.

Who is more "liberal" (or "conservative") -- a pro-abortion, tax and spend gun collector --- or a anti abortion, tea party Brady Campaign volunteer?????

People don't come out of cookie cutters.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-12-2016, 05:29 AM
There are 3 genders: male, female, and attack helicopter.
[+] 3 users Like Gilgamesh's post
11-12-2016, 05:52 AM
WRONG!
JAYZUS SEZ THAT THEREZ ONLY 2 KINDS O' PEOPLE:

Male Bathroom Sign™

[Image: 0a0684618792adf0bda38332727dff3c.jpg]

and

Female Bathroom Sign™

[Image: think-pink-ideas-for-traditional-scrapbo...lipart.png]

GOD WILLS IT!!!

(Wow... I feel dumber for even typing all that. How do some people get through life, carrying around such idiotic, narrow-minded views?)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
11-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Personally, I don't have any issues at all with how other people feel inwardly, or how they self-define their "gender" or "sexuality". It's their business and nobody else's.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
11-12-2016, 06:11 AM
(10-12-2016 09:48 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Do you believe there are more than two genders or do you think about gender as a strict biological concept? Do you believe that there is a reason for having various identities or do you really not care about any of it? Just curious to hear some opinions. Smile

The above joking aside (sorry, I couldn't resist after the whole "bathroom trans* terror" incident we had a few months ago on social media), I'll put on my ex-pro-biologist hat and answer seriously.

It would be a shock if gender (or sexuality) was perfectly binary. Almost nothing in biology happens at a 100% rate, even things that are overwhelmingly necessary to the function of the creature. Most things occur on a sliding scale, which may have a steep "bell curve" of what is "normal" (as in, occurs most of the time), but it doesn't invalidate or disqualify that which falls outside the bulk of the curve. Little People are an easy example of this phenomenon: yes, they fall outside the "normal" size range for humans, but no one would call them less than fully human... and in the case of Peter Dinklage, 100% awesome humans. Big Grin

I'll use another example to illustrate: there's more genetic variation on the continent of Africa than anywhere else in the world, BY FAR. That's because we evolved there originally, and one can track down the origin of a species' habitat by seeing where the genetic variation is most diverse, as a result. However, ONE group of Africans from the northeast corner of the continent did leave, circa 80,000 years ago, and went on to populate the rest of the planet as it spread out and diverged. Relatively recently (~10KYA), a couple of "new" races developed from among that one sub-group. As a result, there's far more genetic difference between any two African ethnicities than there is between, say, a European and a Semite, or a European and an Asian.

So how many races are there, then? Are we correct in defining racial groups by their skin color? No. But we tend to look at things only in their most easily (visually) recognizable form, and draw sharp lines as a result. The same applies to gender and sexuality-- we've known for nearly a century that it's not binary, as people once believed. Of course, we also thought women were incapable of being educated or rational enough to vote, a century ago... so it's something to consider.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post