What Kind of Driverless Car are you going to buy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2015, 07:39 AM
RE: What Kind of Driverless Car are you going to buy?
(25-09-2015 07:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So I'm in a driverless car, which means that my car will almost certainly have been exactly where it is supposed to be on the road and at the exact speed it should have been.

I'm not sending myself into a wall or off a cliff because 4 people don't know how to pay attention to the road or its laws.

Sometimes those 4 people are going to be kids who simply don't know any better and can't really be blamed. That being said, I think the car should give the life of the driver higher priority. If we are going to use them, we need to feel safe. This means occasionally a machine is going to decide to kill several people to save the life of one. However the lives lost here are going to be more than made up by the lives saved by humans not causing wrecks because of texting or drunk driving, etc.

This is a classic trolly problem and now we actually need to make the decision.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
25-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Can't they just put an automatic eject mechanism so it can launch my ass out of the car as it drives off the cliff?

'Murican Canadian
25-09-2015, 08:45 AM
(25-09-2015 07:39 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 07:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So I'm in a driverless car, which means that my car will almost certainly have been exactly where it is supposed to be on the road and at the exact speed it should have been.

I'm not sending myself into a wall or off a cliff because 4 people don't know how to pay attention to the road or its laws.

Sometimes those 4 people are going to be kids who simply don't know any better and can't really be blamed. That being said, I think the car should give the life of the driver higher priority. If we are going to use them, we need to feel safe. This means occasionally a machine is going to decide to kill several people to save the life of one. However the lives lost here are going to be more than made up by the lives saved by humans not causing wrecks because of texting or drunk driving, etc.

This is a classic trolly problem and now we actually need to make the decision.

Quote:This means occasionally a machine is going to decide to kill several people to save the life of one.

Kinda like your god.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-09-2015, 09:07 AM
I don't plan to ever buy a driverless car, or any other kind of car. I walk or ride my bicycle when I want to go somewhere. If it's too far for that, I take a bus or taxi, or rent a car.

I guess the bus or taxi is sort of like a driverless car, at least from my viewpoint -- I'm not driving it.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
25-09-2015, 09:10 AM
I wonder how long it will be before they have driverless vans with exercise bicycles in the back so you can work out while your vehicle drives you.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
25-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Why would there ever be a "veer off a cliff" option? There is stop or don't stop, that's all.
The benefits of a self-driven car are that it is safer, not perfect.
25-09-2015, 09:29 AM
(25-09-2015 07:39 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Sometimes those 4 people are going to be kids who simply don't know any better and can't really be blamed.

Blink

What?! No, seriously? What country do you live in that does not teach its children road safety? Dafaq with that hypothetical!

(25-09-2015 07:39 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  That being said, I think the car should give the life of the driver higher priority. If we are going to use them, we need to feel safe. This means occasionally a machine is going to decide to kill several people to save the life of one. However the lives lost here are going to be more than made up by the lives saved by humans not causing wrecks because of texting or drunk driving, etc.

No, the machine will not decide to kill some one. The physics of the situation will play out and sadly people/machines will get hurt.

(25-09-2015 07:39 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  This is a classic trolly problem and now we actually need to make the decision.

No, we don't. Your hypothetical is exactly that. A thought experiment and one that is very simplistic too boot!

Also, the market forces etc have already spoken and auto-pilot cars are soon to become a reality. I bet you hate flying on planes where the pilot is pretty much 'Hands off' through out the whole flight? Consider

As FreeThought posted, the car will be doing pretty much exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

Depending on distance the four incoming, erroneous (OBVIOUSLY! They are moving into some place they should not go) humans will either not be bit because the car's capabilities/physics will prevent such... or they will be hit... again, simply because physics etc means the car can not stop in time.

Any machine, moving at speed, has limits to what it can do. There's only so far you can 'design' something to be safe.
25-09-2015, 09:59 AM
This thought experiment fails to take into account ALL the factors involved in developing driverless cars, which include full and complete instantaneously accessible data on every human being within reach of an Internet signal. Hence a driverless car's computer would in the few seconds before having to execute a decision have made an evaluation of the purchasing habits of every person about to be involved in the outcome and would reach its decision by calculating which action would leave the greatest number of survivors most likely to purchase that model of car. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
25-09-2015, 10:03 AM
I think we should have driverless hovercrafts well above ground. That way the ground will be available to people again instead of streets and cars. We could have parks and bicycles and better housing and skate paths and all kinds of stuff if we could get rid of all those cars and roads.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-09-2015, 10:07 AM
(25-09-2015 10:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  ... I think we should have driverless hovercrafts well above ground ...

Or computer controlled quadrotor drones big enough to have passenger cabins. We might wind up with that world sooner than we think - or want.