What Kind of Driverless Car are you going to buy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2015, 10:09 AM
RE: What Kind of Driverless Car are you going to buy?
(25-09-2015 10:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think we should have driverless hovercrafts well above ground. That way the ground will be available to people again instead of streets and cars. We could have parks and bicycles and better housing and skate paths and all kinds of stuff if we could get rid of all those cars and roads.

*Cough* Hovercraft don't actually work that way, jus' sayin'...

What you're talking about is called an 'Airplane' (Or Helicopter, for the airfoil challenged)

Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2015, 10:26 AM
(25-09-2015 10:09 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 10:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think we should have driverless hovercrafts well above ground. That way the ground will be available to people again instead of streets and cars. We could have parks and bicycles and better housing and skate paths and all kinds of stuff if we could get rid of all those cars and roads.

*Cough* Hovercraft don't actually work that way, jus' sayin'...

What you're talking about is called an 'Airplane' (Or Helicopter, for the airfoil challenged)

Wink

It's science fiction at this point in time anyway. Call 'em air gliders. Quiet, smooth, pollution free...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Now, you know there's always that idiot who forgets to fuel up, or tries to get home on $1.24 in gas.
25-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Oh, sure, it's all fun and games until the first computer glitch.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
25-09-2015, 12:24 PM
It would literally be the Blue Screen of Death.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
25-09-2015, 02:04 PM
They would not be owned by individuals, they would be a version of public transport with feeders going to homes. You ring for it, it shows, you enter the address you want to go to, it takes you there. As simple as getting on an elevator.

It could even be a rail system with little gondolas coming off it. The object would be to restore space on the ground.

There are cities now where downtown is only for pedestrians and deliveries, and the transport is underground. Except that it would be fun to ride up high and have a view, I hate it underground.

It's just a science fiction idea, it can go where no man has gone before (or even where he never will go, that's the fiction part)

Anyway, if I could redesign the world traffic situation, without any restrictions, that's what I would do.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-09-2015, 04:15 PM
(25-09-2015 09:10 AM)yakherder Wrote:  I wonder how long it will be before they have driverless vans with exercise bicycles in the back so you can work out while your vehicle drives you.

Ha! Never, imagine the seat belts you'd need for that Laugh out load they'd probably still require seat belts

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
25-09-2015, 05:59 PM
A driverless hydrogen car. What could go wrong?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-09-2015, 06:33 PM
(25-09-2015 07:16 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 07:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So I'm in a driverless car, which means that my car will almost certainly have been exactly where it is supposed to be on the road and at the exact speed it should have been.

I'm not sending myself into a wall or off a cliff because 4 people don't know how to pay attention to the road or its laws.

Fair enough.

Have you got your shit together already mate?

It's as together as it's going to get, I think.

(25-09-2015 07:39 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 07:10 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So I'm in a driverless car, which means that my car will almost certainly have been exactly where it is supposed to be on the road and at the exact speed it should have been.

I'm not sending myself into a wall or off a cliff because 4 people don't know how to pay attention to the road or its laws.

Sometimes those 4 people are going to be kids who simply don't know any better and can't really be blamed. That being said, I think the car should give the life of the driver higher priority. If we are going to use them, we need to feel safe. This means occasionally a machine is going to decide to kill several people to save the life of one. However the lives lost here are going to be more than made up by the lives saved by humans not causing wrecks because of texting or drunk driving, etc.

This is a classic trolly problem and now we actually need to make the decision.

If it's a bunch of kids and they are sufficiently young to not know better than to run out onto roads, than they should have been strictly supervised; I don't think anyone could be reasonably blamed for the failures of the supervisor(s) here, given the vehicle in use.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-09-2015, 08:22 PM
(25-09-2015 02:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  It could even be a rail system with little gondolas coming off it. The object would be to restore space on the ground.

I think one reason the United States should not invest tax money into High Speed rail is that I believe driver less cars have the capability of making using high speed rail undesirable by riders.

A large part of fuel consumption of a car goes into "punching" a hole thru the air. Driverless cars will be able to form trains where each car essentially rides on the tail of the one in front of it. This means the lead car does the work of "punching" the hole to the benefit of all the cars behind it. Since these driverless cars would all be talking to each other, if the lead car hit the brakes, all the other cars would hit there brakes at the exact same time. On upgraded highways, these train of driverless cars could travel at speeds in excess of 100 miles an hour. The big advantage is that once you get to your destination city, you don't have to transfer to a bus or cab or have someone come and pick up.