What Kind of Person Calls a Mass Shooting a Hoax?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-12-2015, 11:55 AM

This is a good article about the kind of bullshit the families of victims and survivors of mass shootings have to deal with.

On a much lower scale, I feel this way every time we have some twit post about how the Holocaust was all made up. Most of my father's family were murdered by the Nazis when they rolled through Poland and rounded up all the Jews there. So, every time we get some dimwit talking about how it didn't happen, I want to find a way to reach through the ether, grab them by the throat, and transport them to 1940 Warsaw and specifically right in the middle of the Jewish section so they can experience first hand what the Nazis did.

Alas.

Anyway, it's worth a read.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
12-12-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: What Kind of Person Calls a Mass Shooting a Hoax?
An idiot?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
12-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Lots of reasons. Most of them are paranoid, delusional with serious cognitive dissonance issues.

I wouldn't call them stupid (look at the few scientists or medical professionals who deny evolution) I think they just start a different point -- and connect all the dots that way.

Like people who believe in aliens visiting our planet and building the pyramids. They make serious grave assumptions like that ancient peoples only wrote what they saw and lacked any kind of imagination or poetic license, the way we do today.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-12-2015, 12:25 PM
I think some people get some sense of enjoyment from looking at various occurrences as hoaxes. I don't think they really stop and think that there are families and friends who are dealing with the aftermath of these atrocities and by insisting that these events were hoaxes, it hurts those who were impacted by horrific tragedies. Like that one man said in the article, he feels like he needs to defend his son's death against these people who keep insisting it was all a hoax, even after they see a death certificate. To even ask someone who lost a child to exhume the body to prove it wasn't a hoax--what the fuck is wrong with people??!!
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
12-12-2015, 12:33 PM
There's a kind of person who is fascinated with secret knowledge and conspiracy and lies. They'll accept any kind of absurdity as long as it's showing some kind of authority as a liar/concealer and reject any straightforward explanation that comes from or supports the authorized version.

I always wonder whether these people had parents who lied to them a lot. My other explanations for this personality type: they feel impotent IRL and knowing "secrets" lets them feel more powerful, or they feel bored IRL and are looking for drama.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
12-12-2015, 12:38 PM
(12-12-2015 12:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I think some people get some sense of enjoyment from looking at various occurrences as hoaxes. I don't think they really stop and think that there are families and friends who are dealing with the aftermath of these atrocities and by insisting that these events were hoaxes, it hurts those who were impacted by horrific tragedies. Like that one man said in the article, he feels like he needs to defend his son's death against these people who keep insisting it was all a hoax, even after they see a death certificate. To even ask someone who lost a child to exhume the body to prove it wasn't a hoax--what the fuck is wrong with people??!!

I think the people who start the rumor possibly don't consider it -- I also think sometimes they know what they're doing and just want to see how far it can go, but most often they're the catalyst for other whackadoo's to pick up the cause. It's the whackadoo lowest common denominator they appealling to.

There are people who see a completely tragic event and think it's impossible that could have ever happened. It's easier to believe that it's a vast conspiracy than to accept that it was random.

Because if it's random, it had no meaning and that reality is far scarier than just saying it's "the government, illuminati, NWO, et al"

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-12-2015, 12:48 PM
(12-12-2015 12:33 PM)julep Wrote:  There's a kind of person who is fascinated with secret knowledge and conspiracy and lies. They'll accept any kind of absurdity as long as it's showing some kind of authority as a liar/concealer and reject any straightforward explanation that comes from or supports the authorized version.

I always wonder whether these people had parents who lied to them a lot. My other explanations for this personality type: they feel impotent IRL and knowing "secrets" lets them feel more powerful, or they feel bored IRL and are looking for drama.

Oh yes!!! "I've got a secret" it's a game I despise because anyone who routinely keeps confidences doesn't say shit about it -- and will go out of their way to avoid it.

An overblown sense of self importance. I think the bored, looking for drama is a huge part of it -- because it feeds the ego and they get away with it because in a heartbeat they turn it around by saying, "I'm just asking questions."

Like anyone who comes here and says "wake up" I immediately tune out and move on...they've got nothing except what's in their head. Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Some of the conspiracy theorists I used to know weren't actually stupid. (A fee of them were, but they were generally stupid.) I think a lot of the hoax and black flag crowd start off thinking they've solved the hidden meaning because they need one.

The world is a scary place that can seem chaotic. To find something that defies even logical rationality soothes their fears.

I feel it's a grown-up version of realizing there is no monster in your closet or under your bed. Most of us grew out of it, but to them the monster just invited his friends over and cause trouble when you're not home.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
12-12-2015, 05:00 PM
I think you and Mom make good points. It's the same reason we look for blame in situations that are largely blameless. We want to pretend either we could prevent these horrible things or, absent that, that they didn't happen.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
12-12-2015, 06:18 PM
To me, it's a reasonable indicator that they have serious mental health issues. It's one thing to say the moon landing is a hoax, but when every single mass shooting is a hoax, that's an even bigger problem.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post