What Makes Demons Evil? Why Are They Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2017, 06:43 PM
What Makes Demons Evil? Why Are They Evil?
Taking a Philosophy class, and starting to get around to questioning things more. One such thing came to the topic of demons and spirits.

Now I watch Ghost Hunters, A Haunting, and such other shows, knowing most of them are staged and such. It makes for something scary and thrilling to watch at times. But this question came to mind as I watch mostly the ones that involve demons as they tend to be better stories.

Why are demons evil? What makes them evil?

Often times you get back to the pages of the bible. But to say they are the damned souls of those in hell as demons, as some shows and religions put it, why are they always considered evil? I would think, hypothetically speaking that Heaven and Hell even exist, if you were damned then managed to get back to the human plain, why would you do things evil that you did in life?

Why waste a chance again of being on earth again by drawing attention to yourself? You already know what more evil deeds do, so why do them again? If humans really to learn their lessons through punishment, would a soul that escaped hell back to the earth again do more evil deeds?

It's kind of the things that some people bring up about prisoners who escape prison. Everyone thinks they are, if they live around a prison, are in danger of a break out. But it's been shown that prisoner are getting the hell away from the prison, they won't stick around to be caught again. Most of the time when they escape they are miles away from the place they escaped.

Bringing me back to the point of demons, if they are humans who are damned and turned into demon over time, you'd think they'd be edger not to draw attention to themselves and get as far away from Hell as possible.

I just thought of this when I watch these shows. Should they exist, which I know they don't, why are they bothering the living so much with such obvious methods that they are demonic. You'd think they'd learn 'Hey if I do this they'll just send me back! After I worked so damn hard to get out.'

The bible, and other religious texts automatically say they are all evil. But would you ever know a demon was in you're house. Who knows what they are doing, maybe how they are portrayed are all lies. I found it funny how it's always the same story with religious people when it comes to demons. But if this all was true, you'd never know it was in your house as it never bothers to let you know it's their. Thus, should this by hypothetically possible, it's never reported.

This is speaking on the idea of they exist. Which many here know they don't. But this is Philosophy, so I feel it's valid to try and argue on the idea these things exist to come to an answer or something close to one, if that makes sense.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-08-2017, 06:48 PM
RE: What Makes Demons Evil? Why Are They Evil?
When I was a theist, I was taught that demons were the other angels which chose to leave heaven with lucifer.
[+] 2 users Like Jedi Rainbow Dash's post
28-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Some demons are born evil, some achieve evilness and some have evilness thrust upon 'em...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 10 users Like Vera's post
28-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Quote:This is speaking on the idea of they exist. Which many here know they don't. But this is Philosophy, so I feel it's valid to try and argue on the idea these things exist to come to an answer or something close to one, if that makes sense.

Fictional characters don't have motives unless an author assigns them. The demons or ghosts or whatever on that dumbass show probably aren't fleshed out enough by their authors to answer your questions. Otherwise, consult the literature.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post
28-08-2017, 08:11 PM
(28-08-2017 06:48 PM)Jedi Rainbow Dash Wrote:  When I was a theist, I was taught that demons were the other angels which chose to leave heaven with lucifer.

That is canon. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2017, 03:04 AM
Goblins?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
29-08-2017, 05:10 AM
(28-08-2017 06:43 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Taking a Philosophy class, and starting to get around to questioning things more. One such thing came to the topic of demons and spirits.

Now I watch Ghost Hunters, A Haunting, and such other shows, knowing most of them are staged and such. It makes for something scary and thrilling to watch at times. But this question came to mind as I watch mostly the ones that involve demons as they tend to be better stories.

Why are demons evil? What makes them evil?

Often times you get back to the pages of the bible. But to say they are the damned souls of those in hell as demons, as some shows and religions put it, why are they always considered evil? I would think, hypothetically speaking that Heaven and Hell even exist, if you were damned then managed to get back to the human plain, why would you do things evil that you did in life?

Why waste a chance again of being on earth again by drawing attention to yourself? You already know what more evil deeds do, so why do them again? If humans really to learn their lessons through punishment, would a soul that escaped hell back to the earth again do more evil deeds?

It's kind of the things that some people bring up about prisoners who escape prison. Everyone thinks they are, if they live around a prison, are in danger of a break out. But it's been shown that prisoner are getting the hell away from the prison, they won't stick around to be caught again. Most of the time when they escape they are miles away from the place they escaped.

Bringing me back to the point of demons, if they are humans who are damned and turned into demon over time, you'd think they'd be edger not to draw attention to themselves and get as far away from Hell as possible.

I just thought of this when I watch these shows. Should they exist, which I know they don't, why are they bothering the living so much with such obvious methods that they are demonic. You'd think they'd learn 'Hey if I do this they'll just send me back! After I worked so damn hard to get out.'

The bible, and other religious texts automatically say they are all evil. But would you ever know a demon was in you're house. Who knows what they are doing, maybe how they are portrayed are all lies. I found it funny how it's always the same story with religious people when it comes to demons. But if this all was true, you'd never know it was in your house as it never bothers to let you know it's their. Thus, should this by hypothetically possible, it's never reported.

This is speaking on the idea of they exist. Which many here know they don't. But this is Philosophy, so I feel it's valid to try and argue on the idea these things exist to come to an answer or something close to one, if that makes sense.

Another aspect of this is why would demons go along with the free will/silence apologetic that god seems to comply with? Why wouldn't they materialize constantly and explain what's going on clearly? Why should they care about your free will or god's silent treatment? There's no reason for them to go along with that.

Whichever spiritual creature is willing to show consistent and physical evidence of it's existence is going to have an immediate advantage. There's no reason for both sides to refuse to interact with the real world.

In fact, if a spiritual creature manifests itself, even if it lies, it has at least revealed the fundamental truth about it's existence, which is something beyond what the Christian apologetic god does. The creature that materializes in a consistent manner has made a fundamentally superior moral decision than the one that refuses to materialize.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
29-08-2017, 06:31 AM
They're evil by definition, because they are MADE UP THAT WAY!!

It's just that simple.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Since the question of "what makes evil evil" has continues to vex us as a species I'd say the whole demon thing is just an exercise in self flagellation.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
29-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Maybe they know they're condemned either way so they've got nothing left to lose, much like the prison escapees who, in fact, tend to break every law they possibly can to avoid being recaptured since they know a victory in court isn't even a remote possibility since they've generally already been sentenced.

A man or demon with nothing to lose is a dangerous thing Big Grin

'Murican Canadian