What Makes Demons Evil? Why Are They Evil?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2017, 08:02 AM
RE: What Makes Demons Evil? Why Are They Evil?
(29-08-2017 06:51 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Since the question of "what makes evil evil" has continues to vex us as a species I'd say the whole demon thing is just an exercise in self flagellation.

They were invented as a excuse for why people do "bad" things. Incubus/Succubus, a demon who made kids masturbate and adults fuck inappropriately, is my favorite.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
31-08-2017, 08:17 AM
(28-08-2017 06:43 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  This is speaking on the idea of they exist. Which many here know they don't. But this is Philosophy, so I feel it's valid to try and argue on the idea these things exist to come to an answer or something close to one, if that makes sense.

My understanding is that they likely try and tempt people away from salvation toward damnation, which would be evil, based on the underlying morality system.

Of course, a lot of the idea of what is "good" and "evil" is pretty screwy in Christian mythology, so you're going to be stuck measuring these guys against a pretty crooked measuring stick. Have you ever seen the Good Guy Lucifer memes? The guy throwing around labels like "good" and "evil" is known to:
  • drown children and animals when mad at the adults,
  • kill the first born sons of a race of slavers (even if the son didn't own any slaves or if others sons did),
  • send bears to maul children for making fun of a bald prophet,
  • demand the death of rape victims if they don't yell for help (cuz that means they wanted it),
  • punish people for the sins of their great, great grandfathers,
  • consign people to infinite torture for finite crimes,
  • consign people to infinite torture for not swearing an oath of fealty to a god known to hide from empirical observation,
  • and also can't really be trusted, based on Christian's own apologetics.
So, it's kind of like the whole "garbage in, garbage out" sort of thing. "Good" and "evil" in this context is more of the color of jersey people are wearing so you can see who's on what team, rather than useful terms for describing or predicting the actions of people.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-09-2017, 07:16 AM
(28-08-2017 06:43 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Taking a Philosophy class, and starting to get around to questioning things more. One such thing came to the topic of demons and spirits.

Now I watch Ghost Hunters, A Haunting, and such other shows, knowing most of them are staged and such. It makes for something scary and thrilling to watch at times. But this question came to mind as I watch mostly the ones that involve demons as they tend to be better stories.

Why are demons evil? What makes them evil?
"Most of them" ? all of them are staged/fake, because ghosts/demons do not exist.

'Demons' are evil because those that made them up decided they were.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
02-09-2017, 04:32 AM
Technically, Demons are Chaotic-Evil and rule over the formless Abyss. Contrasted against the Lawful-Evil aligned Devils of the hierarchical Nine Hells, commanded by Asmodeus.

They're evil because Lord Ao either made them that way, or otherwise refuses to intervene and change the very nature of their respective plains of existence.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-09-2017, 04:47 AM
@EvolutionKills

They're (devils) evil cause tainted essence of Overlord whose avatar is Asmodeus made them so. Dicefreaks take on D&D devils is better than original one in my view. Especially the Lords of the Nine and Mephistopheles quoting from Goethe.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-09-2017, 05:05 AM
(02-09-2017 04:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  @EvolutionKills

They're (devils) evil cause tainted essence of Overlord whose avatar is Asmodeus made them so. Dicefreaks take on D&D devils is better than original one in my view. Especially the Lords of the Nine and Mephistopheles quoting from Goethe.

I still prefer the Forgotten Realms. Wink

02-09-2017, 12:12 PM
(02-09-2017 05:05 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 04:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  @EvolutionKills

I still prefer the Forgotten Realms. Wink
To each his own I guess.

I like epic feel of Dicefreaks world.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Evil for evil's sake is a tough row to hoe. Ever try it? Gwynnite believes in love, often what is seen as "evil" is but "love" from another's perspective. How big are your shoes? Angel

living word
02-09-2017, 01:40 PM
I mean, it is an interesting question. I am evil for my selfishness and gluttony, but rationale for change is an utopia beyond the horizon. Blush

living word
03-09-2017, 02:51 AM
(02-09-2017 12:12 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(02-09-2017 05:05 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I still prefer the Forgotten Realms. Wink
To each his own I guess.

I like epic feel of Dicefreaks world.

I got nothing against, just the Forgotten Realms is far older and more familiar to me personally. I've read most of R.A. Salvatore's work in the world. Most of the D&D games I've played, including some of the most beloved and timeless classics in their own right (such as Baldur's Gate 1 & 2), take place in that world. Back when I still regularly played D&D, our group ran Forgotten Realms campaigns exclusively. In short, I'm already invested.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post