What Mormonism tells us about religious faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2016, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016 01:26 PM by mgoering.)
What Mormonism tells us about religious faith
To me, Mormonism is a great model of how religion works in general. This religion is less than 200 years old, young enough to have clearly documented accounts of its foundation and its founders. As such, it takes very little effort to expose it as the sham that it is. And yet, in its short history, it has gained millions of new recruits, to where, to date, there are over 16 million Mormons worldwide.

So, what does this say about the effect of religious indoctrination on people of every race, class, culture and even level of intelligence? It demonstrates that, in the context of religion, human beings are capable of suspending their rational thoughts to make room for beliefs in nonsensical ideas and ludicrous claims, in spite of the overwhelming factual and clear-cut evidence against them.

If Mormons can't be convinced that they are delusional even though the evidence against what they believe is recent and can be easily disputed, what chance does one have to convince a person who believes in a religion as old as Christianity?

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like mgoering's post
05-05-2016, 01:37 PM
RE: What Mormonism tells us about religious faith
Trying to convince them their religion is a sham is pointless, they need to come to that conclusion on their own.
I just want them to keep it where it belongs, in churches, and not the schools or government.
[+] 8 users Like pablo's post
05-05-2016, 01:41 PM
(05-05-2016 01:23 PM)mgoering Wrote:  To me, Mormonism is a great model of how religion works in general. This religion is less than 200 years old, young enough to have clearly documented accounts of its foundation and its founders. As such, it takes very little effort to expose it as the sham that it is. And yet, in its short history, it has gained millions of new recruits, to where, to date, there are over 16 million Mormons worldwide.

So, what does this say about the effect of religious indoctrination on people of every race, class, culture and even level of intelligence? It demonstrates that, in the context of religion, human beings are capable of suspending their rational thoughts to make room for beliefs in nonsensical ideas and ludicrous claims, in spite of the overwhelming factual and clear-cut evidence against them.

If Mormons can't be convinced that they are delusional even though the evidence against what they believe is recent and can be easily disputed, what chance does one have to convince a person who believes in a religion as old as Christianity?

It would be more interesting if we take such observations to doubt rational thought. The belief there's some thought process in the brain that gets "suspended" to accept a variety of beliefs. Perhaps observation like this suggest that our thought processes are messy sort of things, and the belief in this sort of pure way of thinking, often referred to as "objective" or "rational" is a myth of it's own making.

It seems to me that much of our beliefs about being rational, are remnants of dualism, the days in which we believed in free-will, and such. Perhaps we should rethink it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Scientology is an even later version of a sham religion.

The parallels between the two are interesting.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 4 users Like Silly Deity's post
05-05-2016, 01:55 PM
This also kind of reminds me of the hippie Christianity I have to deal with here in Northern Cali. Pretty much every Xian I know is influenced by the surge of interest in New Age spirituality that emerged in the late 60's and 70's. It's as far away from the true intent of Christianity you can get before it becomes a totally different religion. They all think Jesus was the ultimate Hippie, he loved everybody, hated war, hated greed, etc. If you mention Hell to these people they think it's just state of mind, no one will actually go there after death. We're all saved, man!

It's better than the Baptist churches and believers I had to deal with growing up in Oklahoma but it's still nonsensical and ignoring all the genocide, rape, misogyny of the Bible and pretending it's all about good times and happy thoughts won't change anything. They'll just keep changing Christianity to fit the times in whatever way they want to, just like Mormons did. I honestly just pity them, they were fooled by a con man, not even a very gifted con man...well considering how successful he was I guess he was a good con man but he's a fraud none the less.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like SitaSky's post
05-05-2016, 02:04 PM
(05-05-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 01:23 PM)mgoering Wrote:  To me, Mormonism is a great model of how religion works in general. This religion is less than 200 years old, young enough to have clearly documented accounts of its foundation and its founders. As such, it takes very little effort to expose it as the sham that it is. And yet, in its short history, it has gained millions of new recruits, to where, to date, there are over 16 million Mormons worldwide.

It would be more interesting if we take such observations to doubt rational thought. The belief there's some thought process in the brain that gets "suspended" to accept a variety of beliefs. Perhaps observation like this suggest that our thought processes are messy sort of things, and the belief in this sort of pure way of thinking, often referred to as "objective" or "rational" is a myth of it's own making.

It seems to me that much of our beliefs about being rational, are remnants of dualism, the days in which we believed in free-will, and such. Perhaps we should rethink it.

I may have worded it poorly, but my main idea is that Mormons believe in these supernatural ideas that were revealed to them by Joseph Smith, in spite of him being proven to be con man. Rationally, when presented with this information, one would normally rethink what they believe. But in the context of religion, there's no going back. They stick their fingers in their ears and hum loudly. Or, they play word games like you do here saying "perhaps objective and rational is a myth."

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
[+] 5 users Like mgoering's post
05-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Mormonism:

It's the sort of thing you get when you allow those too closely related to produce offspring....................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
05-05-2016, 03:19 PM
I think Mormonism can tell us a bit more about religion than all that, as those who have been following the CES letter saga can attest. Specifically, it tells us how religion punishes, vilifies, slanders, and ultimately rejects honest truth-seekers when the truth they uncover is unsavory to their faith.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
05-05-2016, 03:33 PM
(05-05-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Perhaps not. (We already know you believe in irrationality).
We already know what this represents :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmen...sychology)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-05-2016, 04:14 PM
(05-05-2016 01:47 PM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Scientology is an even later version of a sham religion.

The parallels between the two are interesting.

Scientology was one of the first religions that made me realize how easily people can be fooled. Even with all the crazy things the L. Ron Hubbard did, said and set up. And the ridiculousness of the Xenu claim with the H.Bombs in volcanoes and the like. People bought in. Celebrity and the like.

At least the Mormons of the time has an excuse of inaccessibility to modern information.

I feel Mormons of today can't use that as an excuse. They have to legitimate ignore conrtiditocy arguments that has tangible evidence.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin