What Mormonism tells us about religious faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 02:14 AM
RE: What Mormonism tells us about religious faith
The instances where Mormon leaders apparently receive "revelations" when under pressure from government or the courts is amusing. The church engages in practices or condones practices that are considered intolerable by the rest of society - such as polygamy and racism - and it justifies those practices by saying that these are the "will of god".

When the authorities or public opinion applies pressure on the LDS, then hey-presto, the leadership reveals that it has had a revelation from god who tells them to change what they're doing.

Geee.......what a coincidence!

That tells us that religious faith is less about faith than the leadership being interested in holding on to power even if it means being flexible about it.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 05:52 AM
(05-05-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 01:23 PM)mgoering Wrote:  To me, Mormonism is a great model of how religion works in general. This religion is less than 200 years old, young enough to have clearly documented accounts of its foundation and its founders. As such, it takes very little effort to expose it as the sham that it is. And yet, in its short history, it has gained millions of new recruits, to where, to date, there are over 16 million Mormons worldwide.

So, what does this say about the effect of religious indoctrination on people of every race, class, culture and even level of intelligence? It demonstrates that, in the context of religion, human beings are capable of suspending their rational thoughts to make room for beliefs in nonsensical ideas and ludicrous claims, in spite of the overwhelming factual and clear-cut evidence against them.

If Mormons can't be convinced that they are delusional even though the evidence against what they believe is recent and can be easily disputed, what chance does one have to convince a person who believes in a religion as old as Christianity?

It would be more interesting if we take such observations to doubt rational thought. The belief there's some thought process in the brain that gets "suspended" to accept a variety of beliefs. Perhaps observation like this suggest that our thought processes are messy sort of things, and the belief in this sort of pure way of thinking, often referred to as "objective" or "rational" is a myth of it's own making.

It seems to me that much of our beliefs about being rational, are remnants of dualism, the days in which we believed in free-will, and such. Perhaps we should rethink it.

And how would we re-think it if rational thought is a myth? How can you not see the stolen concept that you are using here? Good grief! Here's a tip: you will search in vain for any attack on reason that does not rest on stolen concepts. In case you are not aware of this fallacy, it occurs when one uses a concept, in your case "thinking", while denying a concept in its genetic root, in your case "rational thought".

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
06-05-2016, 06:26 AM
This thread is Alla bait.

She doesn't need the bait.

Please don't feed the wildlife.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-05-2016, 07:15 AM
(06-05-2016 06:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  This thread is Alla bait.

shes not taking it though. shes learning. clever girl....
06-05-2016, 08:14 AM
(05-05-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 01:23 PM)mgoering Wrote:  To me, Mormonism is a great model of how religion works in general. This religion is less than 200 years old, young enough to have clearly documented accounts of its foundation and its founders. As such, it takes very little effort to expose it as the sham that it is. And yet, in its short history, it has gained millions of new recruits, to where, to date, there are over 16 million Mormons worldwide.

So, what does this say about the effect of religious indoctrination on people of every race, class, culture and even level of intelligence? It demonstrates that, in the context of religion, human beings are capable of suspending their rational thoughts to make room for beliefs in nonsensical ideas and ludicrous claims, in spite of the overwhelming factual and clear-cut evidence against them.

If Mormons can't be convinced that they are delusional even though the evidence against what they believe is recent and can be easily disputed, what chance does one have to convince a person who believes in a religion as old as Christianity?

It would be more interesting if we take such observations to doubt rational thought. The belief there's some thought process in the brain that gets "suspended" to accept a variety of beliefs. Perhaps observation like this suggest that our thought processes are messy sort of things, and the belief in this sort of pure way of thinking, often referred to as "objective" or "rational" is a myth of it's own making.

It seems to me that much of our beliefs about being rational, are remnants of dualism, the days in which we believed in free-will, and such. Perhaps we should rethink it.

Certainly, any human mind can only process information from a subjective stand point, but rationality is the best tool any of us have to sort out the garbage from the useful.
To say that rational though should be reevaluated is kind of silly, though. How would we go about it? Through an irrational process?
[+] 5 users Like Gordon Blue's post
06-05-2016, 08:20 AM
(06-05-2016 08:14 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  It would be more interesting if we take such observations to doubt rational thought. The belief there's some thought process in the brain that gets "suspended" to accept a variety of beliefs. Perhaps observation like this suggest that our thought processes are messy sort of things, and the belief in this sort of pure way of thinking, often referred to as "objective" or "rational" is a myth of it's own making.

Certainly, any human mind can only process information from a subjective stand point, but rationality is the best tool any of us have to sort out the garbage from the useful.
To say that rational though should be reevaluated is kind of silly, though. How would we go about it? Through an irrational process?

Hes not even trying anymore to hide the fact that he is a troll, thats it.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
06-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Yeah, I think Mormonism, Scientology, Wicca, and Islam should all be very troubling to Christians for different reasons. Each highlights the exact way a "wrong" belief could come into being and be practiced by many people, world wide.

Wicca and Scientology are notable for both being younger than people who are still alive today.

Mormonism shows how someone can tack beliefs on top of the Bible and get them accepted by other people as "true" Christianity (just as Christianity did to Judaism).

Islam shows how a strong belief, held culturally, and spread militantly can be practiced by over a billion people after a thousand years.

Christianity isn't as special as Christians think it is.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-05-2016, 09:39 AM
(05-05-2016 03:19 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I think Mormonism can tell us a bit more about religion than all that, as those who have been following the CES letter saga can attest. Specifically, it tells us how religion punishes, vilifies, slanders, and ultimately rejects honest truth-seekers when the truth they uncover is unsavory to their faith.

I had heard of the CES letter before, but only yesterday did I go read it in it's entirety. Jeremy Runnels is not timid at all about taking on the Mormon church. I think the crazy claims this religion makes can easily be debunked and he's done an excellent job of it. It appears that the church and its apologists are twisting themselves into pretzels trying to defend what THEY even know is not true. Unfortunately for them, the internet has opened up the flood gates and there's no way to hold it back.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
06-05-2016, 09:48 AM
(06-05-2016 06:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  This thread is Alla bait.

I hope Alla comes back. I will convert Alla to Chucksterism.Yes

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
06-05-2016, 10:07 AM
We should be thankful that the LDSs only exist in minimal numbers globally.

Here in Australia, the 2011 Australian Bureau of Statistics census reported only 59,770 of them, or a mere 0.28% of the population. Any weekend Aussie Rules football game gets a greater number of attendees LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.