What Organizations Have You Joined?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2017, 07:21 AM
What Organizations Have You Joined?
The last (social) organization I was in was the frigging Boy Scouts.... My parents made me join - and told me I had to try it for one year.... 12 months later - I went AWOL forever..... Fuck the Boy Scouts.. (Fun fact -- our scoutmaster went to jail for spousal abuse..... nice guy.... Sadcryface )

Since then -- I've been asked if I was interested in a few. My godfather was a big muckety muck in the Masons -- and tried to get me interested. It sounded like work - and there weren't any women.......

A buddy of mine was ELKS -- and tried to get me involved in that..... They have a bar and they play bingo...... Yeah -- I don't think my heart can take all the excitement......

Same thing with the American Legion and VFW.... (HUH???? How the fuck am I eligible for either of those??? We didn't have a war when I was in... (late 70'a to mid 80's).... Grenada...... .. Really?? Guess they were desperate for new recruits..)

I did join a local bike club for a few months...... Till they decided to "affiliate" with the Outlaws...... I cut off my patch at the clubhouse bar with my Buck knife, walked out - and never went back........ (I have a buddy who got an extra 15 years in prison for being "affiliated" with the Hells Angels..... Who needs that hanging over their head???) .....

Are you a joiner, or a loner????

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2017, 07:31 AM
RE: What Organizations Have You Joined?
My experience with the Scouts was almost identical as yours. I was forced into it for a year, hated pretty much every minute of it. While the leader wasn't ever convicted of anything (AFAIK) it wasn't a "kid-friendly" environment.

When I was in business I joined all sorts of groups - Chamber of Commerce, various industry-specific organizations, even Toastmasters - as networking venues. And I was involved in local baseball for a few seasons and a couple of running clubs.

Since my retirement I've backed away from all of that. Never really enjoyed any of them except the Toastmasters; I was involved simply for business purposes, to make and maintain connections, etc. The closest thing to a group I belong to now is a small cluster of motorcyclists that go on a couple of four-day weekend rides every year.
19-01-2017, 08:21 AM
I know this will shock you Tongue but I'm a member of various animal rights organizations.

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout growing up. I liked the outfits and the patches you could earn, but my troops were kind of boring. Or maybe it was just me, my brothers were doing more things like camping, hiking, learning to tie knots, and a lot more outdoor activities in the Boy scouts than we were doing in my troops and I wanted to do that instead. I felt my troops had too many "domestic" activities and I was not havin' it Tongue

Even now as an adult, I'm as far away from "a domestic goddess" as you can get. Case in point: I served my bf pasta in a cake tin last night because I haven't done dishes and they're kinda piled up in the sink Hobo Blush I'm doing them today though Big Grin

I'm hoping Brownies and Girl Scouts have changed since I was a little girl...or again maybe it was just my troops.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
19-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Really I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would want me as a member.

It's beyond amazing I've lasted here as long as I have.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Currently a member of:
• ASIS International (American Society for Industrial Security)
• SBO-OVSAR (Sauvetage Bénévole Outaouais – Ottawa Volunteer Search and Rescue)
• Canadian Council for Refugees

Plenty others in the past. I was a cub scout Tongue

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2017, 08:35 AM
(19-01-2017 08:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Really I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would want me as a member.

It's beyond amazing I've lasted here as long as I have.

Maybe because nobody wanted you here? Consider

I'M KIDDING!

You know I love you. Hug

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
19-01-2017, 09:02 AM
I was a volunteer leader for the BSA for 15 years. We had a lot of fun, and I know that my 3 sons (as well as my wife and I) got a lot out of it; even more so than what we put in. They all dropped out at various stages in the Boy Scouts, but all went through the Cub Scouts program. I don't know of any molestations during my time as a volunteer. I was adamant that the "two deep leadership" policy was strictly enforced, and in fact left one unit because the Scoutmaster seemed to think that that was optional. Of course, none of my sons went on an outing where there was insufficient adult leadership. No sense in asking for it.

Other than that, I'm pretty much a loner, but I'm looking to find some local atheists to hang with.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
19-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Heh, I also have a profile on http://www.p1.cn, which is like a Chinese invitation only version of Facebook geared.towards rich 20 to 40 year olds. Does that count?

My (biological) father married a rich Chinese woman whom I introduced him to after doing some work for her family when I lived in China. Her son, who is a gold member, sent me an invitation to join. Not my type of crowd really, but it helps me practice Chinese and keep my internet slang up to date.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2017, 09:35 AM
(19-01-2017 08:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I know this will shock you Tongue but I'm a member of various animal rights organizations.

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout growing up. I liked the outfits and the patches you could earn, but my troops were kind of boring. Or maybe it was just me, my brothers were doing more things like camping, hiking, learning to tie knots, and a lot more outdoor activities in the Boy scouts than we were doing in my troops and I wanted to do that instead. I felt my troops had too many "domestic" activities and I was not havin' it Tongue

Even now as an adult, I'm as far away from "a domestic goddess" as you can get. Case in point: I served my bf pasta in a cake tin last night because I haven't done dishes and they're kinda piled up in the sink Hobo Blush I'm doing them today though Big Grin

I'm hoping Brownies and Girl Scouts have changed since I was a little girl...or again maybe it was just my troops.

I can answer that! I am a co-leader for Brownies and it's very much up to the leaders involved. The other troops in town are into arts and crafts and indoor activities. Our troop is very nature-oriented and hikes/gets dirty and will be camping in the spring. We also place a large emphasis on community service. I remember discussing our plans with the other troop in town and they couldn't believe we had so many outdoor activities planned. We have gone hiking, canoeing, water testing/sampling, beach clean up, and will be doing archery and a ropes course soon. I am not going to judge, but their girls did a mom and me doll event, they made blankets, and christmas cards because they dislike getting dirty and they dress their girls like little fashion accessories. No 8 year old girl should know what a Coach bag is or want to own a pair of Uggs. UGH. Okay, I am judging. lol

So want to know something ridic? The boy scouts are allowed to have knives when they go camping, girl scouts are not. I have no idea if this is some hold out rule from the old days or what, no one in the council can answer the question.

To answer the original question - I am a member of various animal and human rights organizations, GS, PTA, and some local organizations. I am very much into volunteering.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
19-01-2017, 09:46 AM
(19-01-2017 09:35 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 08:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I know this will shock you Tongue but I'm a member of various animal rights organizations.

I can answer that! I am a co-leader for Brownies and it's very much up to the leaders involved. The other troops in town are into arts and crafts and indoor activities. Our troop is very nature-oriented and hikes/gets dirty and will be camping in the spring. We also place a large emphasis on community service. I remember discussing our plans with the other troop in town and they couldn't believe we had so many outdoor activities planned. We have gone hiking, canoeing, water testing/sampling, beach clean up, and will be doing archery and a ropes course soon. I am not going to judge, but their girls did a mom and me doll event, they made blankets, and christmas cards because they dislike getting dirty and they dress their girls like little fashion accessories. No 8 year old girl should know what a Coach bag is or want to own a pair of Uggs. UGH. Okay, I am judging. lol

So want to know something ridic? The boy scouts are allowed to have knives when they go camping, girl scouts are not. I have no idea if this is some hold out rule from the old days or what, no one in the council can answer the question.

To answer the original question - I am a member of various animal and human rights organizations, GS, PTA, and some local organizations. I am very much into volunteering.

Camping without a knife is like going for a walk without feet.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post