What Organizations Have You Joined?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2017, 09:56 AM
RE: What Organizations Have You Joined?
(19-01-2017 08:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Really I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would want me as a member.

It's beyond amazing I've lasted here as long as I have.

Hey! Angry Censored Angry

You stole my Marxist tagline!

I was going to give OLB another chance to pick the correct brother this time.

:sulking now:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2017, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2017 10:12 AM by Astreja.)
Many aeons ago I was in the Brownies and then the Girl Guides. Not much for a long time, other than extracurricular clubs in high school and college, and a couple of years in a yoga teachers' association in the '80s.

More recently I've been a member of the local humanist organization, am on the executive of a community band, and am thinking of becoming a member of the local Scandinavian Centre.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2017, 10:12 AM
(19-01-2017 09:35 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 08:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I know this will shock you Tongue but I'm a member of various animal rights organizations.

I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout growing up. I liked the outfits and the patches you could earn, but my troops were kind of boring. Or maybe it was just me, my brothers were doing more things like camping, hiking, learning to tie knots, and a lot more outdoor activities in the Boy scouts than we were doing in my troops and I wanted to do that instead. I felt my troops had too many "domestic" activities and I was not havin' it Tongue

Even now as an adult, I'm as far away from "a domestic goddess" as you can get. Case in point: I served my bf pasta in a cake tin last night because I haven't done dishes and they're kinda piled up in the sink Hobo Blush I'm doing them today though Big Grin

I'm hoping Brownies and Girl Scouts have changed since I was a little girl...or again maybe it was just my troops.

I can answer that! I am a co-leader for Brownies and it's very much up to the leaders involved. The other troops in town are into arts and crafts and indoor activities. Our troop is very nature-oriented and hikes/gets dirty and will be camping in the spring. We also place a large emphasis on community service. I remember discussing our plans with the other troop in town and they couldn't believe we had so many outdoor activities planned. We have gone hiking, canoeing, water testing/sampling, beach clean up, and will be doing archery and a ropes course soon. I am not going to judge, but their girls did a mom and me doll event, they made blankets, and christmas cards because they dislike getting dirty and they dress their girls like little fashion accessories. No 8 year old girl should know what a Coach bag is or want to own a pair of Uggs. UGH. Okay, I am judging. lol

So want to know something ridic? The boy scouts are allowed to have knives when they go camping, girl scouts are not. I have no idea if this is some hold out rule from the old days or what, no one in the council can answer the question.

To answer the original question - I am a member of various animal and human rights organizations, GS, PTA, and some local organizations. I am very much into volunteering.

Yeah, I belonged to the dolls and crafts GS and Brownies Dodgy It was fun for a bit, but I could play with Barbies at my house. I wanted to do what the boys were doing with outside adventures and learning cool things. I am so glad you are doing all of those things with the girls in your troops. Fuck that about the knife, I would seriously start a petition.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-01-2017, 10:24 AM
None. I don't like group think, even if the group appears to think a lot like me.

Never did, never will.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-01-2017, 10:36 AM
(19-01-2017 09:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 08:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Really I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would want me as a member.

It's beyond amazing I've lasted here as long as I have.

Hey! Angry Censored Angry

You stole my Marxist tagline!

I was going to give OLB another chance to pick the correct brother this time.

:sulking now:

I've been saying this for years...

We could form our own club, but we wouldn't like us as members. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-01-2017, 10:51 AM
I was in Cub Scouts while growing up. Boy Scouts for a bit, which is where I learned to play blackjack. Belonged to a Baptist youth group, though not an organization on par with scouting. Alpha Phi Sigma, the national criminal justice honors society and Pi Gamma Mu, the national social sciences honors society while in undergrad. While teaching in WV, the West Virginia Criminal Justice Educators' Association; while teaching in Pennsylvania the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Justice Educators (or something like that).

And currently: American Society of Criminology (for almost a decade now), Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences (need to re-up my membership, it's lapsed, but longer than I've been with ASC for a few years), Midwestern Criminal Justice Association (for a few years), and last year joined FFRF, but haven't gone to any events by the nearest chapter.

Ones I've turned down invites to:
Continuing with Boy Scouts. Also I've turned down 4 different invitations to join the Knights of Columbus over the years.

Need to think of a witty signature.
19-01-2017, 10:53 AM
American Chemical Society for the last 12 years. Other than that, pretty much a loner.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
19-01-2017, 11:45 AM
I was in the Cub Scouts for 2 or 3 years and the Boy Scouts for 2 weeks.

I was in the BMWCCA for a few years, the ACM for many years.

Today I'm in sportsman and shooting organizations.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Same as yourself. I was in the boy scouts for about a year. I was never a member of any other organisation. In my late teens, when tensions were high in this part of the world, me and a friend had this silly idea about joining a certain illegal organisation but thought better of it. But no, I've never been into joining clubs or shit.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
19-01-2017, 06:03 PM
I was a Cub Scout (my mom was a co-den mother) for a few years.
Then I was old enough to join the Boy Scouts, went to one meeting and nearly everyone there was an asshole.
That was my last meeting.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post