What Proof do Theists Want?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 03:39 PM
What Proof do Theists Want?
In response to Egors post asking what proof atheists would require for the belief in a god.

I'm curious as to what proof would be sufficient to prove the lack of a god. Maybe just the god they believe in, maybe in another I don't know.

To me, I can't say there is no god whatsoever, but it seems as though given sufficient time humans seem to kick their gods to the curb which in itself seems to be good evidence of the likelihood that the current generation of cool hip happening gods are made up.

The invention of writing and the higher occurrence of literacy has helped the life span of some religions obviously as it has allowed them to spread the stories further across time before they are forgotten and the newer explanations are accepted as the norm.

Anyway, what would discredit the existence of your god in your eyes?

Again, I am not saying they don't exist even though I don't find it probable that they do, I'm just wondering if there is anything that would make you stop believing? And if there is nothing, then how much credibility does that give your religious belief?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
27-11-2012, 04:24 PM
RE: What Proof do Theists Want?
I don't know what it would take. Perhaps an alien coming down saying they created our planet as a science experiment and they finally got around to checking up on our progress?

Can you imagine the chaos?

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
27-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey, Lucradis.

Empirical proof.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
27-11-2012, 04:41 PM
(27-11-2012 04:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know what it would take. Perhaps an alien coming down saying they created our planet as a science experiment and they finally got around to checking up on our progress?

Wouldn't that just give us a new god?

Wait, we already have the alien-is-god religion. All Hail Mighty Xenu!

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
27-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Well obviously the answer to the to the question is none, for evidence is everywhere, and we'll just keep moving the goal post back further and further.

Thus a lack of a god cannot be proven.. Unless we are talking about every god that is not mine, then that is obvious.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
27-11-2012, 05:00 PM
(27-11-2012 04:41 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(27-11-2012 04:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't know what it would take. Perhaps an alien coming down saying they created our planet as a science experiment and they finally got around to checking up on our progress?

Wouldn't that just give us a new god?

Wait, we already have the alien-is-god religion. All Hail Mighty Xenu!

No, not unless they insinuated themselves and meddled like the biblical god allegedly did. If they simply seeded the universe for life and checked back....then go away for another million years....

I believe the Christian, Muslim, Hindu peoples would be thrown into chaos. The Buddhist's would probably be ok with it...since theirs is more a spiritual path than based on a deity.
27-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Could someone with more diligence and less laziness than me start compiling links to all the deconversion stories on the forums? Because I think that's what the OP is asking for.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
27-11-2012, 05:43 PM
(27-11-2012 04:40 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Lucradis.

Empirical proof.

Matt

Empirically show me there are no manticores.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
27-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Hey, Fst.

I cannot. And that is the point.

Matt
27-11-2012, 05:59 PM
(27-11-2012 03:39 PM)lucradis Wrote:  In response to Egors post asking what proof atheists would require for the belief in a god.

I'm curious as to what proof would be sufficient to prove the lack of a god.
Anyway, what would discredit the existence of your god in your eyes?

Luc,

These are two separate questions.

The first is generic for any / all gods. It requires one definition of a god (or gods).

Good luck finding that.

The second relates to a theist's personal god.
Ask 100 theists your question and you will get 100 different answers.

They will start with "My god...."

It just occurred to me to think of MySpace in a different way and I checked to see if there was an Einstein-like social site called MySpaceTime.

I couldn't find one so if anyone is feeling entrepreneurial ... off you go.

Rolleyes